Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #16698
2016 Chateau Front Seats deteriorating/Flaking

I have a 17,000 miles and the drivers and passenger seats are flaking/cracking. I called Thor and their response was = Thor provided the material to the company that made the seat covers, the material Thor provided was found to be inferior and they now longer use it, Thor only gives a one (1) warranty, Thor provided a company that I could contact to have new covers made.
This is not right and should not be tolerated. What I mean is, when a company knows they provided an inferior product then need to stand up and reconcile the problem. To deny assisting in correcting demonstrates they feel they have no obligation to the customer.
If anyone else is having an issue with flaking/cracking please post Because I hate to feel I am the only one.
Possibly, Thor will take notice.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Use the "search" feature for "peeling and cracking upholstery". Tons of info but it isn't a Thor responsibility as Thor didn't manufacture the material. It was a failed product designed by a geek in a small office with no windows. Re-upholster or buy new seats. It's your only option/solution.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Interesting to note that it isn't just an issue with Thor motorhomes. If you read Motorhome magazine, the last 3 months' have reports from numerous RV owners with the same complaint of peeling fake leather furniture. There are various differences in how the different RV manufacturers have been responding to the problem, of course.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
It's across everything furniture...Rooms-To-Go lost millions replacing furniture till they finally gave up and quit buying the material. Anyone with it now is stuck with it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
you are not alone....
I'm finally almost ready to pull the trigger on some solution...as soon as I find one. We are considering a new sofa and maybe the dinette too... or I might just repair what we have...and new skins for the driver's seats
just wish we had some decent upholstery shops near my house or work, so I could explore that option....
Old 09-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
After reading all the posts about this before and right after we purchased our 2018 Outlaw 29H, I spent the money on these custom seat covers for the driver and passenger seats. I even added the heated seat option.

https://www.wetokole.com/ford_e_seri...ll-Piping.html

We just replaced our jackknife sofa with the RecPro Charles recliners and went with the polyester material option instead of the leather because we feel this will hold up better.

It's a shame we have to spend money on this stuff to prevent problems that should not happen.... but when it comes to the motorhome industry this seems to be par for the course for a lot of coaches.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaction2015 View Post
I have a 17,000 miles and the drivers and passenger seats are flaking/cracking. I called Thor and their response was = Thor provided the material to the company that made the seat covers, the material Thor provided was found to be inferior and they now longer use it, Thor only gives a one (1) warranty, Thor provided a company that I could contact to have new covers made.
This is not right and should not be tolerated. What I mean is, when a company knows they provided an inferior product then need to stand up and reconcile the problem. To deny assisting in correcting demonstrates they feel they have no obligation to the customer.
If anyone else is having an issue with flaking/cracking please post Because I hate to feel I am the only one.
Possibly, Thor will take notice.
Any one that bought a 35 ft and under coach in the 2015-17 time frame has or will have the same problem. Doesn't matter the coach manufacture as "Pleather" type materiel just did not hold up in the RV environment. The trade name Pleather (fake leather) is still made (poly urethane) and used in RVs, but the cheaper substitute pleather (made from poly vinyl chloride) is now only used in home furniture and flake leather apparel where it is not subject the the heat in a RV. When polyurethane is heated to more than 100 F degrees, the volatile plasticizers are driven out and the remaining PVC shrinks and becomes brittle.
Unfortunately the company supplying RV furniture Thor, Tiffin, Jayco, and nearly everyone else, when out of business in 2017 due to the numerous recalls.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #8

THOR #16698
Thank you all for responding. Several good responses. I am glad someone went out of business.
I fully understand the warranty of what I purchased.
I work for a product builder. If we sell a product and there is a problem with a part of it, similar to this, we very well would correct it, I am PROUD to say that, we have done it, things happen, but the buyer should not take the fall, We stand behind our American made product.