Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2018, 11:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22fe
State: North Carolina
THOR #11657
winterizing questions

I have watched all the winterizing video's so I know what to do but I am confused. If you blow the system out with air why put in antifreeze except maybe the fresh and black water tanks.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:39 AM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
One thing that happened to me last winter. There was some water at the grey water dump gate valve that froze and burst the pipe. After I pour antifreeze down the drains this year I will dump the grey water again and leave the valve open maybe.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 22fe
State: North Carolina
THOR #11657
If you leave your vavles open leave the cap on or you might get critters in your tank. I plan on putting antifreeze down the drains with P traps and some in both the gray water and black water tank even though they are empty.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I guess it depends what part of the country you live in. When I lived in Iowa where winter temps rather cold I would not even take the chance. A little water left after blow out could damage some of this high quality fixtures. I now live in southern Missouri and I ask an RV tech. about the need for antifreeze. Their answer for the low cost of antifreeze its well worth the protection offered. Thus I still use antifreeze.
To me I made the mistake one year of putting antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Never again it was just way to hard to get it all removed.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I also had the grey tank drain gate valve freeze and crack the second year I did my own winterization (I always use potable antifreeze even after blowing lines with air). I think the ACE grey tanks must drain relatively slowly and any residual water even with a bit of antifreeze in it will still freeze in my neck of the woods. Sometimes the level of your Winter parking spot can affect the grey drain “completeness”. I now always leave the grey valve open after winterizing and that includes the sewer cap too. My valves and drains are secure in a cubby so no critters and I leave a shallow tray under the drain to catch any residuals. Black tank valve remains closed with antifreeze in that tank and never had an issue (bigger pipes and large tank design I guess|). Traps always get lots of antifreeze.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite FE29
State: Colorado
THOR #11503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
If you leave your vavles open leave the cap on or you might get critters in your tank. I plan on putting antifreeze down the drains with P traps and some in both the gray water and black water tank even though they are empty.
Doc - how much antifreeze do you plan on putting in the tanks? I've seen it both ways - put it in, leave it out, but the posts never tells how much liquid to put in.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well if you empty your tanks then I would just used like 1/4 or 1/2 gal per a tank. Make sure you put some down the shower drain as well as any sinks.

I use what I have left over. I used about 1.5 gal to winterized and .5 gal goes in my "empty" tanks for safety.

Sometimes if its warm we might use the RV for a day trip in the winter so I put a gal of water and a gal of RV antifreeze in the shower (on a anti-skid mat). That way if we use the toliet and can flush then add some more antifreeze to be safe.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:10 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite FE29
State: Colorado
THOR #11503
Long and Winding - Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I use air to blow out my lines every year but that won’t get the water out of the water pump. You need to run antifreeze thru the pump to prevent it from freezing. Pour antifreeze in each sink and shower, a little extra to get some in the grey tank. Pour some more antifreeze in the toilet to get some in the black tank. If you have an outside shower don’t forget to blow it out also. Two gallons is usually plenty for everything. If you’re not sure use a little more, antifreeze is cheap insurance to prevent damage to your coach!!!
Old 10-18-2018, 02:25 AM   #10

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I use air to blow out my lines every year but that won’t get the water out of the water pump. You need to run antifreeze thru the pump to prevent it from freezing. Pour antifreeze in each sink and shower, a little extra to get some in the grey tank. Pour some more antifreeze in the toilet to get some in the black tank. If you have an outside shower don’t forget to blow it out also. Two gallons is usually plenty for everything. If you’re not sure use a little more, antifreeze is cheap insurance to prevent damage to your coach!!!
Yeah, bought a pop up couple of years ago. Owner before did not unscrew the water filter and drain it. Learned this the first time we added water.