Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Montana
THOR #4791
Thor Axis Gen problem

Picked up our 2016 Friday. Started travel home Saturday all the campgrounds with hook ups were full Saturday night, decided to boondock. Started gen ran five minutes shut down. Tried again run 20 minutes. Checked gen notice on the carb it has a nob to set for the elevation, were we at (5920 ft) ran great for two Hours. Sunday same problem set for lower elevation would keep shutting down. I live 500 miles from the nears RV dealer. Any suggestions

Old 07-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana mike View Post
Picked up our 2016 Friday. Started travel home Saturday all the campgrounds with hook ups were full Saturday night, decided to boondock. Started gen ran five minutes shut down. Tried again run 20 minutes. Checked gen notice on the carb it has a nob to set for the elevation, were we at (5920 ft) ran great for two Hours. Sunday same problem set for lower elevation would keep shutting down. I live 500 miles from the nears RV dealer. Any suggestions
Shutdowns as you describe are usually due to one of the systems on the generator not properly set, etc. So does it run fine if you have it set to the higher elevation on the carburetor? Did the dealer tell you to run the generator once a month for two hours under load? This keeps the carburetor from getting gummed up. We were also told that the carburetors are no longer rebuilt, they get replaced... meaning $$$$. Mine gets run the first of every month, without fail. Just curious what you are running, appliance wise, amp wise, etc., when you are running the generator. Circuit breakers will be thrown if you run A/C and the microwave at the same time. Not sure that would make your generator shut down. Anyone else have some ideas?
Old 07-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
you might check your error codes.
Right after a failure the lights will flash.

or You can check the last code by pressing the off button three times.
the light will flash 3 times, then press the off button once.
it will flash a two digit code
as in
one flash followed by three flashes for "13"

the light is on the switch right on the generator itself. Mine also flashes the "run" indicator light inside by the remote switch too.

The codes are listed in your manual, look here...
http://power.cummins.com/sites/defau.../F-1123-EN.pdf

Honestly, I've not learned much yet from the codes the times mine has faulted, but maybe it'll help you.

Oh, couple other comments
My genny lately has been faulting in the heat of the day. It runs fine other times, so I'm thinking a cooling issue. Apparently somewhat common

Generators are plumbed so that it won't pull down your MH's gas too much..... something less than a half or maybe 1/4 tank and the genny won't work.... so you have enough gas to get to a gas station!
Old 07-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
when I bought my coach, the dealer had to replace the fuel pump. Apparently, these things are sensitive to bad gas, and mine had been sitting on the dealer lot for a long time.
You said yours is new, so maybe it sat too long....
Old 07-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

THOR #4791
Thanks will check the code. I have a feeling that the RV has been sitting for a while. It had a sticker saying the unit has been winterized. Another post about the generator was saying the same things. Have a call into the dealer. Just don't want to have to go back to the dealer I purchased from a 1,000 miles away. The generator has 8 hours.

Thanks every body for the help
Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
You might want to check RV Service Reviews to see if there is a good repair shop close to your home that will do Thor warranty work.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
Onan/Cummins service center

Another option is to bring it to your closest Onan/Cummins dealer. It may be closer than the RV dealership/service center.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #8

THOR #4791
Thanks again everybody. Picked up the RV Last Friday (7-15-2016) that why it only has 8 hrs. The gen manual states that if it is a gummed up carb from sitting that is not their problem and will not be covered by the warranty. Does that mean that Camping World should cover the cost? Anyone ever deal with Camping World for a problem like this?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #3261
Did you notice the gen stalling immediately following an electrical load dropping off? Such as running the microwave and having the gen stall right after the food is done cooking? Maybe after an air conditioner shuts off at your desired thermostat setting?
Old 07-20-2016, 12:44 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Have you tried running a can or two of Seafoam thru your generator? It can do wonders, if you can get it running and run it for a couple of hours. An Onan repair guy told me he could tear my generator down or I could go home and run Seafoam thru it. I have not had a problem in four generators since. It's relatively cheap and worth a try.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #11

THOR #4791
The gen will not run with no electrical load. Everything turn off will shut down. Will try the SeaFoam nothing to loose if I can keep it running
Old 07-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
It's a cheap try. You have to put the Seafoam in your tank and drive around to make sure it is mixed in. Then the generator has to run long enough to run the old gas thru the line from the tank. You might try adjusting the altitude lever as the generator is running and see if that helps. It is about the only adjustment there is. If you can get it running, let it run for a couple of hours and put a load on it when it starts to run more smoothly.