Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
Electric Fireplace Heater

Has anyone had a problem with their electric Fireplace Heater. Ours will only heat for about a minute now (after 4 years) then it shuts off. I have taken it out and cleaned all the dust accumulation and so It seems to be a bad thermostat or over heat controller. I have tried contacting Dimplex the maker but they seem to be less interested or just extremely slow in responding. My last email response with them came on the 5th now 7 days ago with them asking if I was in Canada or the US.

I have tried finding a local electric heater repair shop but as of yet have not had any luck. I believe these Motor Home Electric Fireplace heaters run above $500 so would be nice to just be able to have it repaired, the faulty part replaced if I could determine what it is and or find a repair shop

Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well I don’t know anything about electric fire places, but did a quick tour on the net about Dimplex and I think it is based in Ireland with a North American support presence in Canada (maybe US too). They do have repair and owner manuals posted on line......just enter your model number. I suspect you might have to replace the whole heating/fireplace mechanism if cleaning did not work though. I believe Lowes sells Dimplex electric fireplaces so perhaps they may have some appropriate replacement items too. You might have to pull out the guts to see if you can identify the problem yourself or at least confirm the part number. If the manufacturer won’t sell you the bit parts then the whole mechanism replacement should still be cheaper than the whole fireplace (but shipping etc might still be a killer). IMO, you don’t want to burn up your coach for the sake of a new unit for a few hundred $ if the bad component(s) are not easily identifiable or obtainable. Good luck.