Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #458
Wire Diagrams

Hello All, I have a question regarding Wire Diagrams. After searching the web it sounds like it my be all but impossible to obtain wire diagrams for a 2014 Thor Hurricane 34F. Does anyone know how I could obtain wiring Diagrams or where I can go to get general information?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
hello and welcome. I would try contacting Thor to see if they could send you a wiring schematic. Is there something in particular you want to look at?
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #3

State: Indiana
THOR #458
Wiring Diagram

Hello and Thanks for the welcome! Well I'm new to the RV world and I've got a list of over 23 things that are going to be fixed under warranty so it's Ok for now but i'm worried about the future. The problem is I don't have a Thor service dealer near me so getting it out for service is a long task. I also like doing my own work so having the diagrams would be handy. I'm not so sure Thor will provide them thug..... My wife called there customer service recently regarding all the issues we were having. She was telling him I couldn't get the heater access panel off because it was sealed shut. The sealer they used for the heater core had oozed out and was on the access door top and it couldn't be removed. The gentleman she spoke with was rude and told her I didn't know what I was doing and that I shouldn't be touching it. Well he doesn't know me so to make that comment was rather strange and all I was doing was working on installing an insect screen that the dealer told me to do on the heater access panel. I'm hoping she just caught someone on a bad day because I've heard they are generally very helpful.

Anyway, I'll probably call and ask anyway to thanks again
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
If you go visit the Thor Motor Coach - Owner Resources tab, you can download wiring diagrams, plumbing, entertainment system instructions, etc...
Old 07-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I have found that the information available from owner's resources site varies greatly depending on year and model of your RV. For my coach, there is really nothing of value.

I contacted customer service and was sent some electrical drawings, but they were not great benefit as there was nothing you could call a schematic - only a general location where each electrical component is located and the wire size used. Still useful information, but nowhere the detail I was expecting.

I also was sent some structural drawings - where all of the frame members and mounting pads are. At least those are pretty useful for when I want to attach something or drill through an external wall, roof, or floor. I don't want to make a mistake and drill through an aluminum structural rib.

You are kind of on your own with this. I recommend a borescope style of snake camera to start with. You can get them from eBay for about $20 and will connect to a laptop so you can search behind and around things.

That is how I am finding where things are at. And take photos when you find things, and soon you will have documented where most things are.

The good news though is that 90% of what goes into your coach are 3rd party items, including your water heater. Each of those items has their own manual, and you can download a manual from their website if you didn't get one.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I just spoke with someone at Thor this morning, about another question, and I asked about this very thing....
He said that they don't have anything intended for issue to the public, but they will work with dealers if they are "working on something"
I strongly suggested that they need to re-think this idea, and issue something of value so that owners can better understand how these things are set up, how they work, etc...

I agree with FW28z, nothing of real value in the manual or online that I have found.
The manual even has a lot of stuff in it that discusses OEM equipment and accesories that i don't even have in my coach! It's basically garbage, and if you're not mechanically inclined it could even lead you down a very wrong path.....thinking you have a differnet slide mechaniism than the Schwintek that is actually installed for example!
Old 08-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #7

State: Ohio
THOR #1042
where cau find the wiring diagram for hitch plug on a e350 22e chateau?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgantz View Post
where cau find the wiring diagram for hitch plug on a e350 22e chateau?
It should be the standard 4 or 7 wire trailer wiring configuration.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #9

State: South Carolina
THOR #2176
I have a Four Winds/Thor Class C and have experienced three separate attempts at getting help from Thor regarding electrical problems. Once, stranded in the Grand Canyon with no 12 vdc system functioning I begged for help locating the 12 vdc mini breaker. They said they had no idea where it was. The dealer found it (weeks later) inside the outside wall under the sink. He drilled a 2" hole in the wall so I could reset it in the future.

Yesterday I spoke with Tom Overton in Technical support. He said they did not have 12 vdc schematic drawings of the RV. Obviously that's not true. What is true is that Thor will not supply copies to customers. Nor will they share wiring diagrams.

So, I give up. If you either don't read or ignore the hundreds (if not thousands) of bad reviews of Thor products and service and have the misfortune of buying a Thor product and need to work on it yourself, a blog like this will be your only help. Otherwise grab your meter and start tugging on wires. Be sure to wear a dust mask as Thor does not clean the areas where wires and ducts and water hoses are tangled in there scramble to get 'em out the door.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMilford View Post
I have a Four Winds/Thor Class C and have experienced three separate attempts at getting help from Thor regarding electrical problems. Once, stranded in the Grand Canyon with no 12 vdc system functioning I begged for help locating the 12 vdc mini breaker. They said they had no idea where it was. The dealer found it (weeks later) inside the outside wall under the sink. He drilled a 2" hole in the wall so I could reset it in the future.

Yesterday I spoke with Tom Overton in Technical support. He said they did not have 12 vdc schematic drawings of the RV. Obviously that's not true. What is true is that Thor will not supply copies to customers. Nor will they share wiring diagrams.

So, I give up. If you either don't read or ignore the hundreds (if not thousands) of bad reviews of Thor products and service and have the misfortune of buying a Thor product and need to work on it yourself, a blog like this will be your only help. Otherwise grab your meter and start tugging on wires. Be sure to wear a dust mask as Thor does not clean the areas where wires and ducts and water hoses are tangled in there scramble to get 'em out the door.
First I want to say that Thor has multiple plants and I'm not sure if their customer service is structured around their plant structure. For instance, my Challenger is built in the plant that also builds the Thor Diesel Pushers and that is a different plant than the one that builds the Class C units.

With that said, my experience with Thor is entirely different. Their customer service reps have sent me schematics on four, yes 4 separate occasions. First I asked for the AV schematic. I received it via email within 2 days. I then asked for the waste water schematic, I received it in about 5 minutes. The same is true for when I asked for the fresh water diagram. I then asked for the component listing and build sheets, received within 10 minutes. I then sent an email, the general customer service email address, asking for the electrical schematic and I received a response within 2 days with the schematic attached.

I have found that if the person you are talking to appears to suffer from an "ID 10 T" error, hang up and call back. Within 3 attempts you usually get someone that is knowledgeable in their job.

You mention the name Tom Overton, not positive but I believe he is the person (with error code mentioned above) that during my shakedown, wanted me to drive to a dealer with my slide stuck out by 6 inches to have it looked at. As mentioned, I hung up called back and talked to someone who authorized a mobile tech within 10 minutes of calling.

In my dealings with Thor I have determined that there are two different groups. There is customer service/warranty. These are the folks that have always provided me with excellent service and with any diagram that I have asked for. Then there is Technical Support. These are the folks I was transferred to by customer service when my slide was stuck partially extended, These folks seem to be 50/50 between good and suffering from the aforementioned error code.

I think you should try an email to customer service and see what happens.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

THOR #2176
Thanks Dave for your comment. I have talked with several of the customer service people over the years and was told the same by each... "no 12 vdc schematic" (for customers). Dealers can get more information.

I have had very cooperative advice from other folks, and I feel Tom, while a little abrupt, was simply doing what he is allowed to do. Tom emailed another useless cable diagram to get me off the phone.

When my 4-1/2 year old roof failed (in spite of semi-annual maintenance performed as instructed) they were ever so sorry and emailed roof structure detailes to help me with the replacement of the destroyed ceiling after I paid $3,000 to have a new Rhino Linings roof installed.

I have been to Elkhardt, visited Thor's nearby dealer to whom they send customers for parts, and have met one of the customer service fellows personally. They are all nice people.

It may well be that the policies about supporting Class A owners is different from Class C owners, but your experience is vastly different from mine.

However, I am not going to be hard headed and ignore your good advice. I will email customer service and request a 12 vdc schematic this afternoon. Thanks again for your advice and for sharing your good experience with Thor.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMilford View Post
Thanks Dave for your comment. I have talked with several of the customer service people over the years and was told the same by each... "no 12 vdc schematic" (for customers). Dealers can get more information.

I have had very cooperative advice from other folks, and I feel Tom, while a little abrupt, was simply doing what he is allowed to do. Tom emailed another useless cable diagram to get me off the phone.

When my 4-1/2 year old roof failed (in spite of semi-annual maintenance performed as instructed) they were ever so sorry and emailed roof structure detailes to help me with the replacement of the destroyed ceiling after I paid $3,000 to have a new Rhino Linings roof installed.

I have been to Elkhardt, visited Thor's nearby dealer to whom they send customers for parts, and have met one of the customer service fellows personally. They are all nice people.

It may well be that the policies about supporting Class A owners is different from Class C owners, but your experience is vastly different from mine.

However, I am not going to be hard headed and ignore your good advice. I will email customer service and request a 12 vdc schematic this afternoon. Thanks again for your advice and for sharing your good experience with Thor.
How old is your coach?

An issue you may be facing (you mention 4 /2 year old roof) is Thor may be unwilling to assist because you are outside their warranty period. It will not surprise me if they turn to stone in my dealings with them this coming February. In fact, I expect that to happen. At that time their obligation to provide me with any type of support evaporates. I know this and I am sure they know this as well. Isn't a good policy for gaining repeat business and they may upset me for a few months, but who knows where I'll go for my next RV in about five years.

No I will also say, I have not had a need to talk to Thor in the past month or two and I do know that the rep I always dealt with has moved from customer service to parts. I do not know how I'll be treated the next time I call, which will probably be Monday when I ask for a replacement seal for my bathroom emergency exit window. I noticed a small leak the other day and I believe the seal may be the culprit.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #13

THOR #2176
My RV is a 2010 C Class on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. I bought it new and asked the Camping World salesman for schematics for the 12 vdc and 120 vac systems the day I took delivery. He said "No problem, I'll order them today." He is long gone. I have not received the schematics in spite of many requests to many people.

It's not a warranty problem. Thor paid for a few minor details and for the search for the 12 vdc 50 AMP manual reset mini breaker that the dealer found inside the wall. The service manager at Camping World told me after my "stranded trip" (1st. long trip) that all RVs are junk the day they are shipped. It's just how it is unless you spend $250,000 to $1,700,000.

I am lucky now. I have purchased 4 RVs in one transaction: First and last from Camping World and First and Last from any brand owned by Thor.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2150
Agreed CMilford. I vote with my dollar & Thor and Camping World will not receive any more of my hard earned dollars!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #15

THOR #2176
Thanks for your comment. I hear the same sort of message from dozens of Thor owners, service people, dealers etc.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #1620
I simply sent a request to customer service and they provided me with chassis electrical, waste, plumbing. This was on an Ace
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #17

THOR #2176
I said earlier that I would make another request via email to Thor. I found an email message system on Thor's website and have sent the following to Thor Customer service:

Would you please send a copy of both the 120 vac and the 12 vdc schematic diagrams for my Class C motorhome listed above? Any format is fine... PDF, AutoCad, via email or simple paper copies via mail. If you have only one and not both, please send what is available.

I will be very happy to pay any reasonable fee for your service.

Thank you,

Charlie Milford

Hope it works. I will post the results. Thanks to all comments.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
I simply sent a request to customer service and they provided me with chassis electrical, waste, plumbing. This was on an Ace
I believe there is an issue involved and that issue happens to be at what point in time does Thor stop providing support to individuals.

In both cases on the forum today the issue is with folks that have older coaches on which the warranties are expired and in one case it is with an owner who purchased a used coach with an expired warranty.

Those of us with newer units that are still under warranty are not having the same issues when dealing with Thor.

I totally expect that in Feb 2016 when my warranty expires (possibly 2017 because of the 2 years on the structure) that Thor will start telling me to pound sand. At that time Thor's legal obligations end and every minute spent with me becomes a drain on profits and an indirect overhead expense.

Think about it.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #1620
Good point Dave, guess we better get everything we need in the first year!
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #20

THOR #2176
Hey Dave,

Wish I could agree. Tom Overton and Bill Bontrager and perhaps another fellow told me that Thor does not have schematics for my motor home long before the warranty expired. They tried their best to help then and a time or two since, but no schematics. Not since the first trip (under warranty) and not since the last one.

I argued that every vehicle and every piece of equipment I had ever purchased came with schematic drawings and complained that they were necessary documents for owners.

Not since I tried to get information from our the US 4th. Army have I experienced anything like Thor. I don't think Thor wants me to re-enlist.