Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
I hope I won't have to buy another RV but I wouldn't shy away from Thor now that I know a lot more. I had an Open Range 5th wheel that had as many issues as my Synergy TT24 but my Thor dealer was great and took care of all but a few things that I did on my own. I will for sure have the coach pressure checked for leaks on an annual basis because I witnessed firsthand the kind of damage water can do.

Regards,
Ed & Robin L.
Thor Synergy TT24 3.0L V6
24k miles

Old 12-05-2017, 02:43 AM   #62

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
I’ve had my Thor for about 4 months and been full timing in it for 1.5 of them. It seems like repairing, modifying and upgrading has been an every other day occurrence. We’ve gotten used to asking “what now?” With the lack of quality and careless attention to detail, I don’t even see why I would buy one used. There are so many over torqued screws I’ve found which makes me a little more sad everytime because there is not much I can do about it and would still be there if it were a used coach.

I got an opportunity to walk into a Tiffen Open Road last week. Knowing what I know about the my Miramar, Tiffen seemed to be on point with every detail. I didn’t find piles of sawdust, no cheap electronics, the basement doors are awesome, the flooring is replaceable. I could keep going but, I could have entered into a much better coach for another 20-30k with much better quality.

But. I have a Miramar now and I am going to make the best of it.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:46 AM   #63

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
For another $25k or so I could buy the smallest Newmar Bay Sport which I do think is better quality than Thor's Axis, admittedly.... We were limited to the length issue of the Thor Axis 24.1 for several reasons.... Right now, we are happy with the price, the length and the few problems we have had. Just have to remind myself about the issue of "entry level" which I know many people don't want to hear. I have made entry level automotive purchases in my life and have dealt with their quality and repair issues too. As I said, right now, all is good, getting ready for a few winter weekends away with friends.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:09 AM   #64

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Short version.... Had one.....Was a POS when new...Was still a POS when we sold it... Bought a totally different brand..
Your results may vary
Happy trails
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #65
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
So: which "SOB" did you end up with?

And how is it holding up?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #66

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We now have 36k+ miles on our coach, have owned it for 32 months with lots of things that have been repaired. We have dry camped for about 3 months each of the last 2.5 years. Still are convinced that feature for feature, $ for $ our Thor was a solid buy. Would we buy again - yep.

Regards the repaired issues - if you drive a house down the road with cruise control on at about 67 mph, up and down hills, over lots of flat land - stuff will need attention.

Just our 2 cents based on experience.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #67

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #2753
We bought our gently used 2014 ACE 30.1 a few months after our daughter died in 2015. Was trying to lift up momma a bit. I didn't do any research and merely relied on something that looked nice at Lazy Days. We just got back from our first real trip, about 7000 miles over the summer. Although we enjoyed our time and the RV, we're really not very impressed with the THOR. It just seems very cheaply made. Vinyl seat material deteriorating, cheap wood veneers, tiny flimsy kitchen sink, should have 2 A/Cs. Although I hand wash it every time it's used, the gelcoat is very faded from being in the Florida sun. Haven't had any real major problems, blew 3 leveling jack lines in a year, awning had some problems and most everything worked fine. But I doubt we would buy another. I consider THORs the Bayliners of motorhomes if you know what I mean
Old 12-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #68

THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So: which "SOB" did you end up with?

And how is it holding up?
Foretravel..ordered new,Coach...very few issues, 100k now on the clock, should last us for a very long time.

Happy Trails

Your results may vary
Thor Infinity
Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #69

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #1020
saddlesore - those are beautiful coaches and expensive coaches. At over a million $s I expect it to be literally perfect for a VERY long time.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Foretravel..ordered new,Coach...very few issues, 100k now on the clock, should last us for a very long time.

Happy Trails

Your results may vary
Congratulations! I'm happy to hear that you found the right one!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #71

THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Congratulations! I'm happy to hear that you found the right one!
Thnx for the flowers..
As with any mfg. the more complex the RV, the more systems to maintain. .
Thor Infinity
Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #72

State: Arkansas
THOR #2540
We bought a new 2014 Tuscany 40XTE. We have had some problems but also got the full warranty. I agree with a lot of the folks answering you question. The MOST IMPORTANT THING IS HAVE A GOOD DEALER. Thor help desk has always been very helpful but if you have to take it to a dealer for repairs it must be a good reliable dealer. Service department should be the best.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #73
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
...The MOST IMPORTANT THING IS HAVE A GOOD DEALER...
That's pretty much the case with everything, but it's even MORE important with a Thor Motor Coach.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #74

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
I would, but not new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Yes, we would buy again BUT we would be much more aggressive in the pre-delivery inspection (2 - 4 hours): getting down and dirty by crawling under the unit, getting on top of the unit, removing drawers, looking for anything from trash/free screws/wood shavings/missing screws, position of transmission cable, require a test on the batteries, check every moving part 6 to 10 times and then do the driving test.

We learned that the first 6 months are for shake down and finding the Warranty Work that is there and just waiting to be found before year's end.

DocMike
My 2018 Challenger 37YT was gently used a(1800 miles) and I've had the whole gamut of Q/C issues, minor fixes, sawdust, screws missing or just sitting on the floor, etc. On mine, I either got someone's lemon or they didn't own it long enough to find all the issues. I was told a couple in their 70's bought it and decided it was too big for them. With all the issues I've run into, I'm highly suspect of that because some of the things I've run into should have been found immediately.

I agree with what the Doc said 200%, now that I know more what to look for, I'd spend a LOT of time going over every detail. If you aren't very RV savvy, I'd either hire someone or have someone who knows RV's VERY WELL and have them go over it with you. Believe me, it would be money well spent! And like he mentioned, the first 6 months will be the time most issues will pop up, hence the reason I'd buy a fairly new used one. Let someone else go through all the hassles and then you can enjoy your new (to you) money pit!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #75

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Colorado
THOR #9715
At this point I would say no to buying another Thor product. The first trip out the unit nearly killed my and my wife as the furnace pumped exhaust directly into the R.V. Took a series of calls to Thor to find someone that would even discuss the problem.

The dealership I took it too would not believe me either, that is until I forced the issue. When the dealer finally took the furnace out it was to have a crack in it. Further the CO2 / smoke detector never went off and was found to be faulty.

The instant water heater went out that same trip, I was told it had froze. Found out myself the unit has a system to prevent freezing... but that does not matter, it was 55 degrees when the water heater blew out.

The final major issue is the run/store (kill) switch failed. More to the point the relay failed... both house batteries are dead and will not take a charge.

In a single and first use of the unit, no less than 25 problems.

I have only owned my unit since Oct 26th of 2017. It has been un-usable for 2 of the 3 months I have owned it. I am still waiting on Warranty work to be approved by Thor.

I do agree a good dealer is also needed, sadly that has been an issue too.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #76

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2817
What a horror story. I thought we had problems with our Windsport, but they pale comparednto yours. I have always wanted to build my own RV from some type of commercial chassis. It wouldn't be cheap and it wouldn't be easy, but at least I'd know the specifics of each components.

We have had an RV since the early 90s and have had many problems over the years. I just can't understand why we keep buying them. Of course they are convenient at times, fun at times, and a great way to travel when they operate reasonably well.

Best of luck. I hope you are able to eventually enjoy your RV.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #77
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I bought my Outlaw 29H because it was the only Class C rig that could haul my bike...
Since Thor has some really nice-looking Class A Toyhaulers also: If I were to upgrade...
Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 PM   #78

State: California
THOR #10354
Yes, I would but again. Our previous coach, a Gulfstream also had some problems but they are minimal compared to the price/performance ratio. Our new Class A coach has a LOT more features and cost not much more than our previous Class C...and thats after 17 years. I did probably get a better price on the new (2017 Vegas 25.2) coach. Thor has also been very responsive to requests.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #79

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
used thor

bought 5yo used outlaw, at a good price, mostly minor stuff, upgrade some wear items batts, tires, shocks, all expected at 5 y/o, replaced one a/c unit and dash a/c water control valve, all work done at home.

upgrade a few thing like sway bars, sumos

as my 1st rv, the learning curve for how to operate a r/v was pretty stiff

ran 9000 in 9 months

happy with the coach
Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 AM   #80

Model: 34J
THOR #8707
I am only 6 months into ownership and have had my share of issues. There is a thread on this forum documenting my issues, but i would have to say i would by another Thor MH but would have much different approach to it his time.
I now understand how terrible most RV dealers are and would be certain to have any issues fixed before taking delivery. No "We owes" or BS promises. I have learned ALOT in 6 months. The dealer you choose will effect your satisfaction in your coach regardless of brand, Choose wisely and stay away from CW at ALL costs!!