Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Maybe

We are first time RV owners and we bought a new 2017 THOR Quantum.

I might buy the THOR brand again but I would definitely check out other brands and compare quality in any way I could.

We are reasonable people and expected a few bugs to work out, but we have had way too many issues (Large and small) for a brand new rig. Most issues have been related to poor quality build rather than poor components.

IMHO - Finding a good dealer is important but a cop out when it comes to judging a manufactures initial build quality.

Perhaps we just got a lemon and most other rigs are built with more experienced labor, but I am not convinced of that at this time.

So, I would not rule THOR out, however I would hope their are better quality brands out there based on our experience so far with our Quantum. If another brand seems to have a better quality reputation when we look again, am going with that brand.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:12 AM   #102

State: Arizona
THOR #13721
I bought 2015 a used Freedom Elite 22e. 12.5k miles, generator had 10 hrs on it.

The Quality of this Moter Home is junk. I have built several homes from the ground up and never compromised on the quality.
-non of the cabinets are square
-shower insert had panels at the top and sides that pulled away from the ceiling and walls
-rigid PEX lines were directly connected to the water pump, which leaked and manf of pump required flexible water lines to be connected to the pump.
-seat cushions for dining area were larger than the pedestal they were made for
-framing for the seating dining area were not square and installer split several pieces of the wood framing
-potable water filler hose at the tank, found the clamp wasn't tight and water dripped onto the floor
-awning attachment brackets were misaligned where the front bracket didn't allow full closure
-there was 2 wires connected to the output of one circuit breaker. Violation of the universal building code
-factory installed sway bars and steering stabilizer inadequate. It was like driving a 22' x 12' sail down the road.

As I said, would NEVER BUY ANOTHER THOR!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2019, 01:33 AM   #103

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz70 View Post
I bought 2015 a used Freedom Elite 22e. 12.5k miles, generator had 10 hrs on it.

The Quality of this Moter Home is junk. I have built several homes from the ground up and never compromised on the quality.
-shower insert had panels at the top and sides that pulled away from the ceiling and walls
-rigid PEX lines were directly connected to the water pump, which leaked and manf of pump required flexible water lines to be connected to the pump.
-framing for the seating dining area were not square and installer split several pieces of the wood framing
-potable water filler hose at the tank, found the clamp wasn't tight and water dripped onto the floor
-awning attachment brackets were misaligned where the front bracket didn't allow full closure
-there was 2 wires connected to the output of one circuit breaker. Violation of the universal building code
-factory installed sway bars and steering stabilizer inadequate. It was like driving a 22' x 12' sail down the road.

Pre-inspection, test drive would had picked up some of these.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:39 AM   #104

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:

The Quality of this Moter Home is junk. I have built several homes from the ground up and never compromised....
You haven't mentioned anything THOR that someone with your experience couldn't fix in mere moments.

Do you still own the unit?
Why?
Old 07-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #105
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

You bought used. How many of these issues could have been done by the previous owner's direct actions or due to the previous owners lack of maintenance?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #106

THOR #13721
Dave, this Thor only had 12.5k miles on it when I bought it and paid a premium price. The previous owner was elderly and didn't get into the guts of the Motor Home. I modified the unit to be completely off-road capable and during this process I found numerous construction issues.

I added a 170w solar panel and charge control, corrected the water pump issue after machining brass fittings to mate with PEX and a barbed end for flexible tubing, added a second battery, installed a 1500w sine inverter with its controls and ran fused '0' wiring from batteries to it, made and installed additional 12vdc outlets with USB 5v ports, replaced sway bars and steering stabilizer with top of line equipment. Plus, fixed numerous other issues that should have been done right, in the factory.

The problems found were due to Thor's manufacturing. Previous owner was at no fault. For the price Thor sells these units, quality should never be questioned.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #107

State: Florida
THOR #15410
No I would not,3 times you're out
Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #108

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
NO! NO!NO!
Old 07-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #109
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
NO! NO!NO!
But your eyes tell me that you're not done with RVs...

I actually have two more "hiccups" to deal with in mine...
Another piece of wood trim fell off the wall. This one was easy to diagnose: the wire brads were sunk so deep in the wall, that they were barely hanging onto it!
Easy to fix with some carpenter's glue, and masking tape!
The other one... the vent cover in the bathroom seems to be stripped out... The rig is under warranty, so I'll let the dealership tackle this one during the Winter layup...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #110

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
$130,000. Cottage 1 bedroom 1 1/2 bath vs $400,000. Cottage same exact layout would you expect the same quality? Sure I would like the $400,000. Cottage but if I can't afford it and I want a house guess what I'm buying the $130,000. And make improvements and fix problems as I can.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:00 AM   #111

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #13661
Not in a million years!!!

Read my threads...
Old 10-31-2019, 02:44 AM   #112

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
Read my threads...
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears."

You got my vote down in spades.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #113

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
It has been almost two years since I first replied to this thread. Since then we have worked through or around several nagging issues with our 2015 Windsport 27K (purchased with about 5K miles). It now has almost 30,000 miles and recently successfully completed two trips totaling over 3,100 miles with no obvious problems. At this point, I probably wouldn't purchase another Thor, because in the five years since we've owned it, I've seen too many examples of shoddy craftsmanship, poor quality of materials, poor quality control, and dubious design issues. But I give the Ford V-10 engine and transmission plenty of positive praise.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #114

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
There is no quality control from ANY manufacturer. They are all bad. You will find a bitch a story from Every brand.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #115

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Metalman,
We were looking at getting something a little bit larger that our 2016 Vegas 24.1. We are leaning towards the Vegas 27.7 but here in NC they are hard to find and the dealership we found one at was just taking 9% off MSRP ($114+K).
We spotted a 2016 Windsport 27K on the used lot and liked the layout. Would you care to expand on the problems you found either here on with a PM? That way I can check out the potential problems.
Thanks,

DocMIke

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #116
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
There is no quality control from ANY manufacturer. They are all bad. You will find a bitch a story from Every brand.
While I agree with you: I think it has more to do with figuring out the frequency of the complaints among the manufacturers, and how those numbers compare to how much of the market they have.
Tiffin is a pretty small part of the market... They also get relatively few complaints and recalls. Does the fewer number of complaints work out to be a lower percentage of the total sales? I don't know...
Thor is the 800 pound gorilla in the room; when it comes to market share. It's not surprising that they would have many more complaints.
But if the number of complaints compares favorably when based upon market share: that would actually be a good thing...
Old 10-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #117

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Metalman,
We were looking at getting something a little bit larger that our 2016 Vegas 24.1. We are leaning towards the Vegas 27.7 but here in NC they are hard to find and the dealership we found one at was just taking 9% off MSRP ($114+K).
We spotted a 2016 Windsport 27K on the used lot and liked the layout. Would you care to expand on the problems you found either here on with a PM? That way I can check out the potential problems.
Thanks,

DocMIke
No No No! 9% my butt! You can buy this coach for 45 to 50% off MSRP. Use your local ripoff 9% dealer to test drive, monkey with and determine the exact options/model you want. Then hit up all the dealers online in your half of the country and or go to an RV show. Tell them what you want and what you will pay. Somebony will give it to you every time! If you have difficulty finding the rig and deal you like, let me know. I love nothing better that beating up a salesman and getting a super deal.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:39 PM   #118
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: a mere 9% discount is an insult.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:48 PM   #119

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Maybe

My first motorhome was a Thor Chateau 23U. We liked the interior design and the floorplan. I quickly realized that build quality was pretty poor and had to fix a lot of things, but we still enjoyed the RV.

When we decided to upsize, we shopped a lot of brands. Some seemed to be of better quality construction, but we usually didn't like the interior designs as well as the Thor products. For example, if you look at the wiring and construction details of a Winnebago class C they are way above the Thors. They also have a fiberglass roof. However, we just didn't like the look and feel and design of their interiors as well. So we ended up buying another Thor Chateau (31E). It's now 2 years old and I have reworked a lot of the poor quality issues and also have done a number of upgrades, so it's nicer now than when it was new.

My biggest lesson would probably be to not buy a new one again. Instead, get one a couple of years old that has had all the issues fixed and has already taken the initial depreciation hit.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:24 PM   #120
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Based on our experience with the Challenger we were more than happy looking at Thor again when it came to buying another motorhome. For us the floorplan and usability was the major consideration. We looked at Diesel Pushers and Super C motorhomes from Newmar, Fleetwood, Coachmen, Holiday Rambler, Winnebago and of course Thor. We then looked at Super C motorhomes by Thor, Entegra/Jayco, Dynamax (Forest River) and Nexus.

Every coach we looked at had issues, some more glaring or visible than others. Some had features that gave them an edge which was erased by other items that just seemed cheap or dumb.

Almost all of them, to include a 450K Newmar, had issues with mis-aligned cabinet doors and drawers, construction debris behind cabinet doors, loose or missing trim, loose or missing screws etc..

The one thing that was constant and visible in every unit we looked at was the lack of attention and preparation on the part of the dealers. None of the coaches had been cleaned or prepared by a dealer before being put on the lot. When asked about "Dealer Prep" the response was all over the board with things ranging from "we clean the unit and fill the LP" to "we do everything" and then "we give you 1/2 tank of fuel, fill LPG and Def, and sweep it out for the 799.00 prep fee"

We, after over six months and trips to or through three states, finally decided on the Entegra Accolade Super C.

So, bottom line, yes we would buy another Thor (Entegra is a Thor Industries product),in fact, we did. IMO, along with researching quality, floor plans, and features one should also put on the top of their list the research of the dealer from which to purchase.

Maybe someone should start a thread titled "Would you buy from your dealer again?" Include specifics to include dates times and names and maybe it would get some attention. We often see threads related to Thor, how about threads related to dealers.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote