Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #161

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Those people in this thread who are vehemently against Thor, will be vehemently against the manufacturer of there next brand MotorHome and the next.
Ummmm... That's Not Necessarily so.....
But the Thor DID teach us what we would not tolerate in a motor coach of ANY Mfg.

Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #162

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoldierjim View Post
Yes I would buy another Thor. I did learn that it is all about the dealer though. I purchased from a Camper World near Fort Bragg NC. They are quick to sell, saying that they are slow on maintenance and follow up would be a compliment. The slides seem to be the weak point for the Freedom Elite. The same slide had to be repaired two years in a row after trips in 2017, and 2018. If you buy the insurance you still get a crazy large bill to replace a $100. Part. They disguise it as misc and shipping. I had to pay a $500. Plus bill for misc and shipping fromThor? When you call the Thor number , they call back and defend the sorry service from the dealer. However when I traveled to the dealer near Greensboro NC they gave me an estimate, time and price. It was completed on time and no misc charges. They even noticed an issue with my main awning, repaired it at no cost to me! They found a recall and called me to schedule the appointment. I travel the 90 miles for the great service. Pick your dealer based on service.

Truth! I bought 500 miles from home but I live in central Indiana so factory service centers are THE answer for most anything I need. Never thought there was all that much benefit to being a Hoosier but there’s that.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #163

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Illinois
THOR #16237
Bought our Thor in Arizona last Summer and are very Happy with it. The only problem and its kind of not Thor's fault is that the Dealers in my area treat me as if I am trying to Rob them because I am taking my Motorhome (just a few minor things) in for service here other than that I would not think twice to buy another Thor product.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #164

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I am on my 2nd coach. The first was not a Thor product that we bought brand new in 2015 and I had many issues with the manufacturer and dealership. My current coach is a Thor that we bought brand new in 2018. I also bought it from a different dealership. Both Thor and my new dealership are great. Would I buy another Thor product? Without a doubt I would go with Thor. I am extremely happy with Thor and that is because of my dealership as well.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #165

State: Utah
THOR #17668
Yep, love it.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #166

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
There is not an RV of any brand or cost that will be problem free. There was a Prevost repair center not too far from where I live, and they were backed up months for appointments, like virtually all RV dealers are. With the Prevost we are talking over a million dollars for the base units, and from there they escalate into the multi-million dollar range. Frankly, though the Gemini was certainly not perfect, my overall experience was OK. Dealer dealt with the problems, Thor authorized the repairs, so Thor IMO is really not different then most any other manufacture. I was bothered by some of the ways Thor controlled costs, such as paper thin walls, really inexpensive pressed wood cabinets with way too many hinge failures, but overall everything could be and was repaired. IMO if they all came off the line in perfect condition, they would absolutely be un-affordable by the majority of consumers. Its all an economic balancing act, or dance.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #167

State: Florida
THOR #15410
Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1011 View Post
Bought our Thor in Arizona last Summer and are very Happy with it. The only problem and its kind of not Thor's fault is that the Dealers in my area treat me as if I am trying to Rob them because I am taking my Motorhome (just a few minor things) in for service here other than that I would not think twice to buy another Thor product.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:40 PM   #168

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Yes. Our '18 Hurricane 31S purchased from Total Value in May of 2017 has been completely trouble free. Spent many hours and $ on improvements and maintenance but that goes with any RV, IMO.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #169

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
On our first RV, Thor. We have had it for 7 months. Most of that is through winter. Love the Thor and when we buy again, maybe within a year, it will likely be a Thor A Class.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #170

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
The floor plan is unbeatable for my needs.
Quality - meh. Stuff that likely could have been better if it hadn't been such cursory production. Roof leak, a broken bath door that was glued back together and then installed, the main door doesn't stay shut and swings open on the highway - yes, aggravations.
But this thing rocks. It's just a matter of getting it fixed. Crooked cabinets and hinges are the nature of almost every brand I've seen so my view is out the huge window and not at the workmanship.
Yes - I'd buy another. A Yukon with leather seats runs close to the same price and I can't take a shower in that.
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #171

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Yes. Our '18 Hurricane 31S purchased from Total Value in May of 2017 has been completely trouble free. Spent many hours and $ on improvements and maintenance but that goes with any RV, IMO.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #172

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
When Thor builds another rv with no slides (class A or C) then, yes, absolutely would buy another Thor.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:58 AM   #173

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL787 View Post
The floor plan is unbeatable for my needs.
Quality - meh. Stuff that likely could have been better if it hadn't been such cursory production. Roof leak, a broken bath door that was glued back together and then installed, the main door doesn't stay shut and swings open on the highway - yes, aggravations.
But this thing rocks. It's just a matter of getting it fixed. Crooked cabinets and hinges are the nature of almost every brand I've seen so my view is out the huge window and not at the workmanship.
Yes - I'd buy another. A Yukon with leather seats runs close to the same price and I can't take a shower in that.
No offense Cap, we owned an Axis and it was great. Once you go to a RV show and look at some other brands you will see the difference in quality in comparison. Quality costs more money, kind of like a Yukon vs. a MB MG500. I don't knock Thor except when it comes to their higher dollar DPs where I would tell someone that I would rather go with a lower cost Tiffin or Newmar because of the build quality which you would never regret.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:44 AM   #174

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
When Thor builds another rv with no slides (class A or C) then, yes, absolutely would buy another Thor.
I've read this before.
Buy a 24.1, don't use the slide.
Glue it shut if you want.

There is ZERO need for a slide in a 24.1

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:48 AM   #175

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I've read this before.
Buy a 24.1, don't use the slide.
Glue it shut if you want.

There is ZERO need for a slide in a 24.1
Duck,
To each his own and I always respect individual opinion. We liked the extra room of the slider in our 24.1 when we installed the theatre seating. It made a big difference in comfort. Not the end of the world if we didn't have it, but still nice.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #176

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m currently an SOB (Newmar Bay Star Sport) but I would not hesitate to buy another Thor product. My Freedom Elite had very few issues and I only traded it because I wanted to get bigger and into a Class A. I read a Newmar Forum (that is FAR less friendly and helpful than this one!) and there are as many complaints as there are here. Currently a fellow with a $500,000 Londonaire is leading a thread about how dreadful Newmar is and can only get worse with Winnebago buying them. Same story, different author. My opinion is still: buy the floor plan you like and can afford, work your way through whatever issues your machine happens to have with the best attitude you can muster and then just enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #177

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
I bought a new 2019 Thor Windsport 34J last year and have chronicled the struggles with warranty repairs and disappointment with build quality and factory quality control. After a year of owning it, I would, however, consider another Thor (Tuscany DP). Thor probably has close to the most products on the road today so also has most complaints.

The price point between my gas mh and the Tuscany dp is vast, so hopefully more attention is paid to build quality on higher end coaches. I have to say that Tiffin seems to have higher build quality over Thor, but that is family owned vs. corporate.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #178

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
A friend of mine here in San Diego-CA ordered & purchased a 40’ Tiffin Phaeton from LaMesa RV.
He has several warranty issues in his $350k DP ride.
Instead of having the dealer do the repairs, he’s taking a trip to the Tiffin factory in Alabama late summer/early fall.

Now that’s a long, long bus ride for warranty repairs.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #179

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
I think the Vegas is great, too. It'll likely be a part of my world for many years. The same quality comparisons exist between boats and aircraft but in the end my 20 year old pontoon, my 52 year old Cessna, and my shiny new 24.1 all put a smile on my face.
As long as they don't sink, crash, or leave me on the side of the road I suppose I'll deal with their flaws at least until the kids are out of college!
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #180

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Smile Bought Another Thor

Just bought another Thor, A 2020 Daybreak 22GOC 2 weeks ago. Chevrolet Chassis. I was pleasantly experienced at the dealer experience, (thank you Gander RV in Baxter MN) and the quality of the coach. Put 2400 miles on it on my trip from the dealer to my home in Northern Canada. Winter camped in the rough for 5 nights. Everything worked!, The coach was delivered with zero defects. Only issue is converting the daytime running lights so they meet Transport Canada standards. Thor has been great, their US chassis supplier Tom Naquin Cadillac has been great. GM Canada and GM USA not so much. Once we clear this hurdle, I am sure this slideless Class C will be a great RV.

Rocky
Rocky49 is offline   Reply With Quote