Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5913
Would You buy another Thor?

I bought my Thor used and am quite happy with it although since it is 11 years old I have had nickel and dime repairs.

I am surprised to see nearly new campers with issues. We are looking to go to a class "A" and my natural question to a Thor owners is when the rubber meets the road would you buy another one or are you upset that you bought this one?

Thanks for opinions and please don't "bash" the brand. I am just looking for facts without emotions associated with one dealer or one bad incident.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Search around, I believe this question pops up about once a quarter or so with lengthy threads resulting. Including the people thoroughly wronged that will warn you (in all caps): STAY AWAY FROM THOR!!! Sometimes it even devolves into a "flame war" where the wronged people are upset at all the other people who report "I've had none or very few issues with mine!". It can get messy.

Having said all that: The real key is to find a good dealer. If you have a dealer that has competent service people and will go to bat with you with Thor (even though working directly with Thor can be quite pleasant if you don't berate them). Many good dealers will fix things prior to you even seeing the coach.

In our case: Our Axis had a few issues with it (most notable being: it was a show model and the bathroom door was broken from all the people not understanding how it worked, and we've had a long standing leak under a window--something I'm getting fixed next month at the factory). Other than that we've been pretty happy.

Note the above: "Show model" many people would shy away from a show model as "I don't want all these people walking through my future coach" but the converse to that is: The dealer is going to go through it from top to bottom to make sure its show worthy...perhaps that is why we've had so few issues with ours.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
I bought my class A in a very gently used condition. Whatever issues it might have had, the previous owner took care of them. I had not a single reason to bring it for any repair to a shop. And even the very minor issues that I encountered, were really minor, like a few screws that had gotten loose, etc.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
JamieGeek hit it spot on (especially the flaming part).Find a good dealer AND then make sure you talk directly to Thor. They are amazingly helpful.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Our first Thor was a Tuscany. When we moved to Indiana we had no place to store a 40 foot coach so we had to sell. After moving to the Dallas area we decided to buy another coach. We only had a couple of small problems with our Tuscany so we looked to Thor for our next coach and found exactly what we wanted. Would I purchase Thor again, already did!!!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
I agree. I bought at a show just a couple days ago but it was not a show model. I would have purchased a show model if they had one I was looking for without any reservations about fix or traffic issues if for no other reason the savings of buying at a show. I know I saved over $54,000 by buying at a show.

4 out of 4 puppy's approve of this post.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Every coach no matter the price or the brand will have issues.

The most important part is service. Find a great dealer that stands by its work and you will be happy.

We really enjoy our Thor Axis. It is great to drive once you dial it in.

Thor is great to deal with...the dealers are another story.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2817
Windsport 27K

We bought a slightly used 2015 Thor Windsport 27K and as a result we only had a 30 day warranty. Before the 30 days was up, we returned to the dealer and had a number of problems addressed. (drawer catch in stairway repaired off, thermostat replaced, leak in shower caulked) Within days after the warranty expired, the windshield washer motor failed, a leveling jack began leaking, and the radio stopped working. The front end was very much out of alignment too.

I am not happy with some of the low quality components used in the RV or the obvious lack of quality control when assembling it.

We purchased this particular RV because of the floor plan, its short length, the generous headroom, and the amount of legroom for the driver.

I doubt that many RVs of any make will be trouble free.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
We also purchased a slightly used 2015 Windsport 27K really like this model we had 3 minor issues and our dealer took care of them. Had some initial handling issues had front wheel alignment done and CHF and it pleasure to driving. I would definitely purchase another on again

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
RTG

State: Massachusetts
THOR #760
We have the windsport 27k and if we have the chance to upgrade i would go with the thor miramar 34.2 or the aria 3601
Old 01-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #6005
We recently downsized from a 37' Pace Arrow to a Thor Vegas 25.3 (26.5'). Shortly thereafter we set out on a 6500 mile round trip to the West Coast. Our coach performed flawlessly, drove great, rode comfortably, provided exceptional maneuverability, and gave tremendous gas mileage (compared to our previous coach). We couldn't be happier.

We did have one minor problem that stemmed from my lack of knowledge, and I was disappointed with Thor's Customer Service inability to help in a timely manner. But that was no reflection on the coach itself.

I would recommend a Vegas and/or Axis to anyone.

Good luck with your search and eventual purchase.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:48 AM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Any motorhome can be a real PITA. We had a 41 foot DP for eleven years, a higher end coach, and the first two years about drove me nuts, correcting manufacturing defects. The Gemini we now have, though imperfect, the dealer corrected a lot, and Thor has authorized them to make some additional corrections, so IMO Thor so far has not been very different from my other experiences with other manufactures. We went with Thor this time, because they had the only coach we could find that was both the size we wanted and had the floorplan we wanted.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2817
I understand that RVs are prone to failures due to their complexity and operating environment. What I can't understand is how they can be sold with so many malfunctioning, broken, cheaply made, and improperly installed components.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I understand that RVs are prone to failures due to their complexity and operating environment. What I can't understand is how they can be sold with so many malfunctioning, broken, cheaply made, and improperly installed components.
Because idiots like us continue to buy them!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
My opinion....REGULATION...REGULATION...REGULATION.

Look at the bright side...buying an imperfect coach will make one more obsessed with the coach.

Obsession leads to tinkering...tinkering leads to self-reliance...self-reliance leads to happiness...and happiness leads back to tinkering

Last night it was about 20 degrees. Where was I? I was in my 36 foot lighted and heated shed tinkering...trying to make it perfect.

My wife thinks I have a problem
Old 01-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #1020
Too funny rvfigs - too funny
Old 01-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Yes. We just went through looking at upgrading bigger. After careful analysis, we decided the ease of use, operational effectiveness and general overall simplicity our 2016 Vegas 24.1 is hard to beat. If we bigger in future, will likely be made by Thor.
We consider ourselves lucky though. We got ours used with less than 2k miles. It has had zero issues thus far. We are very aware of all the horror stories. Our dealer did a great job prepping both the machine and us. I'd recommend North Trail RV to anyone looking in South Florida.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
My opinion....REGULATION...REGULATION...REGULATION.

Look at the bright side...buying an imperfect coach will make one more obsessed with the coach.

Obsession leads to tinkering...tinkering leads to self-reliance...self-reliance leads to happiness...and happiness leads back to tinkering

Last night it was about 20 degrees. Where was I? I was in my 36 foot lighted and heated shed tinkering...trying to make it perfect.

My wife thinks I have a problem
My wife wants to know if there is a counselling group for me to join

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
My wife wants to know if there is a counselling group for me to join
Yes it is called Rallies
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
My wife thinks I have a serious mental problem because I have to visit the stored RV about 3 times a week. Sometimes I fool with it sometimes I just look around (she might be right). I would buy a Thor again, I have had hardly any problems on my slightly used RV.