Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 01:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #8760
Question Xantrex

We just bought a new 2017 Quantum ws31 on 5/25/17
This is our second rv but the first with a residential fridge.
With the battery s fully charged the xantrex converter will only run the frig. A maximum of 45 minutes. NOTE.nothing else is turned on. Then the converter shuts down ( C02 code)
Help!
What should be the average run time using the xantrex to run only the frig.?
Thank you
Lynn benson
Lrb2091@gmail.com

Old 08-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
I bet you will find your battery voltage is low. Yes I saw where you said the battery was fully charged. Check the voltage when the inverter shuts down.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
A "converter" converts 120 volts ac to 12 volts dc, an "inverter" turns 12 volts dc into 120 volt ac. So your fridge is running off 12 volt from your batteries changing to 120 volts through the inverter. How many batteries? What type/amp hour batteries? Are batteries wet cell or AGM, meaning do they need distilled water added? With 1 battery, if warm starting your fridge, that's not fully charged definitely wouldn't last very long.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Converter and inverter get confused all the time. Residential fridge works off of 110 volts. Recommend 2 good 6 volt batteries in series for long lasting. Even better is 4 with a battery switch with battery 1,2,both and off.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

THOR #8760
Thank you all for replying to my question / problem.
To let you know I have two batterys in my rv. The inverter will only run the residental fridge about 45 minutes with the batterys fully charged.the xantrex will go to a code of c02 and shut down. The Mangum is set to 12 volts for the autumn start but doesn't start.
Help!!
Second question ..what is an average run time with fully charged batterys and the only thing on is the residental fridge ?
Thank you for responding to my questions

Lynn benson
Lrb2091@gmail.com
Old 08-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn r benson View Post
Thank you all for replying to my question / problem.
To let you know I have two batterys in my rv. The inverter will only run the residental fridge about 45 minutes with the batterys fully charged.the xantrex will go to a code of c02 and shut down. The Mangum is set to 12 volts for the autumn start but doesn't start.
Help!!
Second question ..what is an average run time with fully charged batterys and the only thing on is the residental fridge ?
Thank you for responding to my questions

Lynn benson
Lrb2091@gmail.com
Nothing to do with the inverter but a lot to do with your battery capacity and type. For a residential refrigerator you will will need a lot of Ah, amp hours @20 hour rating. Not sure what a Mangum is. Two, fully barged batteries means nothing. How many total amp hours do you have? Are they deep cycle?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
You mentioned a C02 code... From what I can find - the error codes begin with E... E02 is low battery voltage:
"Low battery voltage shutdown (Inverter/charger error)Battery voltage has dropped below 10.5 V for 12 V inverters or below 21 V for 24 V inverters.
Check for a dead battery or poor battery connections.
"

If the batteries are fully charged - then they aren't holding a charge... Not an uncommon occurrence with new RV that may have been on dealers lot for a while without proper care of the batteries... (allowed to run down, not recharged, etc...)

Many auto parts stores can do a load test - though you may need to remove the batteries... At less than 3 months old - I would see if the dealer will replace.

How long you should get is an 'it depends' answer - based on whether the fridge is starting hot or cold... the outside temp... how often it is opened... but 45 min is excessively low.

Also seems to be dying too quickly for the generator start to kick on... The battery is going from 12v (gen start voltage) to 10.5 (inverter off voltage) before the genny can start.

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:22 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
As said its all about battery capacity. If it works at all, ever, your inverter is doing what it should. What perplexes me, is the residential refrigerator is a known power hog. Most of the larger motorhomes using them, have dedicated battery's that run only the refrigerator. Trying to run a residential refrigerator off existing two or even four house battery's already running the entire motorhome, is a guarantee of a short run before the battery's go flat.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #9

THOR #8760
Xantrex

Thank you
I would not have thought to check the batterys.
Lynn benson
Lrb2091@gmail.com

Knowing most manufacturers they will buy the least expensive items (battery )because they are not in view for the buyer to see.

Tags
magnum, residental fridge, xantrex