Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Black tank level sensors

Can someone suggest a method or product to clear the black tank sensors when they are giving a false signal? I'm getting two lights out of three even just after doing a tank dump. I have no idea how to locate these sensors to do a remove, clean, reinstall method so I would like to soak them clean or some such method.
Any hope?
CasaLoca in Acadia NP

Old 08-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Don't waste your time & energy, of the last 3 rvs I've had none of the sensors were worth the trouble. Our toilet has a certain sound when flushing to let us know it's time to dump or I just dump once a week, the bath grey I leave open til a day or two before dumping black & the galley grey will hold til then. Others will have magic potions to clean sensors, but in my experience it works now but not later so I just quit fretting over them, don't ever look at the levels anymore.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #3

THOR #1249
Yeah, don't worry about your sensors not reading correctly. It is a universal problem. My blk tank reads two lights all the time and you will know about when enough is enough. I usually dump every day when traveling if I have a chance and when parked about two days is the most I can get out of the gray tank due to both of us showering, so I dump both of course. If boondocking, about 4 days is about the upper limit with no showers.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:03 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
Can someone suggest a method or product to clear the black tank sensors when they are giving a false signal? I'm getting two lights out of three even just after doing a tank dump. I have no idea how to locate these sensors to do a remove, clean, reinstall method so I would like to soak them clean or some such method.
Any hope?
CasaLoca in Acadia NP
Put about a 1/4 cup of Calgon water softner and 3 or 4 capfulls of Dawn dish soap in the black tank, soft water cleans up better and Dawn soap seem to work the best. USE EXTRA WATER per flush!
It may take several cycles to clean up the sensors and tank walls.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #2554
I have just used straight water going down the toilet after a fill up of the bowl. Usually, takes about 10 bowls. I hold the shower head over the toilet and flush each time. I tried just running the shower hose into the sink. That didn't work, guess not enough agitation.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
I don't bother with the indicators. They read full or 3/4 all the time. A quick glance with a flashlight will tell you more than the indicators.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #7

Model: Fleetwood Flair 28A
State: Alabama
THOR #4520
Dump a 5 or 10 lb bag of ice in the empty tank when you leave your campsite. By the time you get to your destination the sensors should be clear.