Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #15666
Angry Fireplace Issue Thor 3901

Back again! Fireplace stays on for a couple minutes and turns itself off. Any ideas why?

Old 06-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #15666
Fireplace

Still learning how to maneuver this forum. Found lots of comments about fireplace. I have turned off the water heater. Let's see if it works.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well I don't know much about fireplaces but since it is a gas appliance my first guess is a protective high limit switch opens and turns off the gas. That could be because the fireplace air flow is restricted somehow (in or out) or inside needs a cleaning. The other thing is does your fireplace have variable temp switch (like a thermostat for the fireplace)? Maybe it has reached the set temperature and is just shutting off.......but could be a bad fireplace thermostat perhaps? The other guess is a flaky flame sensor....so it starts but just fails soon after.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #4

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Our fireplace is electric make sure the timer is off,I have to bend over time see it. When you turn on it shows in top right hand corner.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I guess I should have assumed an electric fireplace (probably in most RV's with fireplace) and not propane. If we are talking electric, then similar restricted air flow and possibly high temp shutdown may result. Flaky fireplace thermostat might also cause short cycles; or failing fan/plugged filter if equipped. I would check all electric connections are clean and tight to the fireplace.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #6

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Other than the restriction of the water heater, I have found that using the furnace at the same time as the fireplace will cause it to shut down. This is because the thermostat for the fireplace is in the back of the unit, in the cabinet with the furnace. The furnace heats up the cabinet and shuts the thermostat shuts down the fireplace. The fireplace works great in conjunction with the heat pumps.
Mike
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
Most likely is that the electric hot water heater and the fireplace are on the same circuit. Turn off the electric on the hot water heater.