Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 23H
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13709
2018 2.0 FWD equinox flat tow? Confused

We bought the above vehicle to flat tow behind our Thor 23H. The manual says only the 1.5 FWD can be a dinghy. However, a dealer checked with the Chevy Center of Learning and the response, attached, clearly states the 2.0 FWD can be flat towed. Before we spend the money to get the tow package installed, I am searching all over for a final answer. We can trade down but I love the 2.0.
Any help out there?
PS gas vehicle, not the diesel...
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	942530E9-7D64-49CC-BE77-AB635B2F77A9.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	14744  

Old 12-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
While it does appear something changed since the owners manual was published, unfortunately the Chevy 'Center of Learning' isn't who you will be dealing with if you have a warranty issue as a result of towing...
Would be nice if they issued a revised owners manual - or at least an update indicating the manual was changed. (Checked the online available pdf manual and it still doesn't list the 2.0 as towable...)

Not sure what I would suggest - as my last experiences with GM warranty and GM customer care were not good (sorry pete..) Nothing related to MH or towing. At minimum I would suggest having something in writing from GM customer care that the warranty will still be honored (not from the car dealer.)

Both my current vehicles (2010 Jeep Wrangler/2017 Ford Explorer) clearly state the flat tow ability in the owners manual for the specific engine/powertrain I have... In both cases only certain configurations were flat towable. Had to pick specific engine on the Ford to have that capability - not the Ecoboost. Currently tow the Jeep - but plan to set up the Ford in near future as well.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #3

THOR #13709
Thanks

That makes sense. Now to find someone with authority at Chevy/GMCwho can give us in writing the warranty coverage for this car if it is flat towed. At least we have the winter to work on it while the RV is stored... geez
Old 01-03-2019, 12:17 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
GM sometimes issues advisorys to dealers when something in the manual or the vehicle changes.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:34 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The Center of Learning document clearly contradicts what your owners manual says regarding the 2.0 liter engine so without including a statement in that document that clearly states it superceeds the owners manual and with a date of the document then it is nice to know but probably worthless to you in the case of a warranty issue if you follow its guidance and have problems.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:15 AM   #6

THOR #13709
So @petefoss do you have an idea of who at GM I can reach out to so I can confirm we can flat tow the 2.0? @tvryman is right, I need a date or better confirmation that the car is covered. We did get an OK verbally from our local Chevy dealer service manager, and he said he would fix it, but nothing in writing to confirm it is covered. Would appreciate a point in the right direction. We do think it is OK to flat tow, by the way, but just to be safe want to confirm. I called their 800 # but got a dead end.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:43 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
I'd start with Chevy Customer Care but I'm not sure. As an employee I had pathways that I don't have as a retiree. I'm also surprised that document isn't dated.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevrolet, equinox, flat tow