Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 12:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Virginia
THOR #15081
2019 Ford Ranger

I bought a new 2019 Ford Ranger to tow behind my new Thor Hurricane 29M. I just got the truck back from Camping World in Ashland, VA. For my Toad Setup, I went the Roadmaster route with a Nighthawk Tow Bar, an InvisiBrake, a Wireless Braking System Monitor and Direct-Connect Base Plates. So far, I have only towed the truck back home. It towed just fine and I experienced no problems. I also had Camping World install a Rock Shield on the back of the motorhome. The wife and I are anxious to hit the road! Happy Trails to all

Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow Bar
Roadmaster InvisiBrake System
W3NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3NS View Post
I bought a new 2019 Ford Ranger to tow behind my new Thor Hurricane 29M. I just got the truck back from Camping World in Ashland, VA. For my Toad Setup, I went the Roadmaster route with a Nighthawk Tow Bar, an InvisiBrake, a Wireless Braking System Monitor and Direct-Connect Base Plates. So far, I have only towed the truck back home. It towed just fine and I experienced no problems. I also had Camping World install a Rock Shield on the back of the motorhome. The wife and I are anxious to hit the road! Happy Trails to all
Same folks did the setup on my Grand Cherokee a few weeks ago. They did a real good job.

My setup is basically the same except I went with the Sterling tow bar and the crossbar for the base plate.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:06 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Nice set up. How do you like that Ranger? We are towing a Cherokee Trailhawk with a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar, Roadmaster Invisibrake, direct connect base plate with cross bar and a Roadmaster Tow Defender rock guard. We also have a 2010 Ranger that I would have loved to flat tow but it wasn’t doable. I love the look at that new Ranger good choice 👍
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:07 AM   #4

THOR #15081
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Nice set up. How do you like that Ranger? We are towing a Cherokee Trailhawk with a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar, Roadmaster Invisibrake, direct connect base plate with cross bar and a Roadmaster Tow Defender rock guard. We also have a 2010 Ranger that I would have loved to flat tow but it wasn’t doable. I love the look at that new Ranger good choice [emoji106]

I love the Ranger! It is very easy to set it up for towing. I got the Lariat 4x4 with auto trans. It is very smooth to drive/tow.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:09 AM   #5

THOR #15081
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Same folks did the setup on my Grand Cherokee a few weeks ago. They did a real good job.

My setup is basically the same except I went with the Sterling tow bar and the crossbar for the base plate.

Nice!
Old 08-22-2019, 02:02 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
Just got back from a 2500 mi trip towing the ranger 4 down no issues at all
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:19 AM   #7

THOR #15081
Thanks for the feedback. I have only been on short trips so far. Just out of curiosity, what is your setup? I.e., Tow bar? Auxiliary brake, etc.?

I love the convince of flat towing!
Old 08-22-2019, 05:05 AM   #8

THOR #3788
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I have only been on short trips so far. Just out of curiosity, what is your setup? I.e., Tow bar? Auxiliary brake, etc.?

I love the convince of flat towing!

Blueox baseplate , roadmaster falcon all terrain towbar
Rvi3 brake
Old 09-06-2019, 02:06 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
We are deciding what vehicle will be our tow and it has become obvious to us that our tow vehicle needs to be our main vehicle, not a second car like we assumed it would be. That said, we need our main vehicle to have at least 6,000 lbs of towing capacity and be something we can throw bikes in/on easily, have an auto transmission, and be something we like to look at. The Ranger looks like a real REAL strong possibility.

For those of you who are towing one, are there any nuances that you've discovered, or has it been pretty smooth sailing?
Old 09-06-2019, 03:04 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
We are deciding what vehicle will be our tow and it has become obvious to us that our tow vehicle needs to be our main vehicle, not a second car like we assumed it would be. That said, we need our main vehicle to have at least 6,000 lbs of towing capacity and be something we can throw bikes in/on easily, have an auto transmission, and be something we like to look at. The Ranger looks like a real REAL strong possibility.

For those of you who are towing one, are there any nuances that you've discovered, or has it been pretty smooth sailing?

We have not had any problems towing our Ranger. Only the 4x4 is flat towable.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
We have not had any problems towing our Ranger. Only the 4x4 is flat towable.
Good to hear. Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-04-2020, 02:45 AM   #12

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Excellent post. I have a 2019 Thor Windsport 34J and am currently negotiating to purchase new Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat to flat tow. Any issues since April 2019?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #13

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeGrpArchitek View Post
Excellent post. I have a 2019 Thor Windsport 34J and am currently negotiating to purchase new Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat to flat tow. Any issues since April 2019?

We have towed ours about 3500 miles to date with zero problems. (Knock on wood)
Old 03-06-2020, 02:10 AM   #14

THOR #14573
Quote:
We have towed ours about 3500 miles to date with zero problems. (Knock on wood)
That is great news. What tow setup did you go with? I am looking at Roadmaster setup including Invisibrake and Falcon All-Terrain.

One thing to be prepared for is the possible need of a high low adapter for your hitch. For my Cherokee I had to get a 2 inch high low for the hitch. The issue is the high low caused a 10 inch extension and that resulted in the safety cables being a bit short for my liking. The Roadmaster rep gave me some 10 inch extension cables (RM Part # 910648-10) and last week I purchased and received a pair of 76 inch safety cables (RM Part # 655-76) so I can eliminate the use of the extension cables.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:38 AM   #15

THOR #3788
I have about 5000 towed mi no issues at all I went with blueox baseplate easy install and to me looked more secure than roadmaster and all terrain towbar for breaking i use an Rvi3 already had it
Old 03-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #16

THOR #2020
Quote:
That is great news. What tow setup did you go with? I am looking at Roadmaster setup including Invisibrake and Falcon All-Terrain.

My setup is exactly what you are looking at. I might have gone with the BlueOx but we live very close to Etrailer and they do free installation on stuff they sell but for some reason they can’t do installations on BlueOx baseplates. I do like the way you can rub the cables through the channels on the Falcon. We leave everything hooked up to the motor home so there is less time involved. Every second counts when you are getting ready to go camping.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #17

THOR #14573
Quote:
My setup is exactly what you are looking at. I might have gone with the BlueOx but we live very close to Etrailer and they do free installation on stuff they sell but for some reason they can’t do installations on BlueOx baseplates. I do like the way you can rub the cables through the channels on the Falcon. We leave everything hooked up to the motor home so there is less time involved. Every second counts when you are getting ready to go camping.
Great. Pulled the trigger and went with the XL 4x4 Supercrew with some upgrades. But reasonably priced for what will be a dedicated tow vehicle (3rd car). Will order tow kit from Roadmaster. Question, do you get alot of damage to front of your toad?
Old 03-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #18

THOR #14573
Quote:
Great. Pulled the trigger and went with the XL 4x4 Supercrew with some upgrades. But reasonably priced for what will be a dedicated tow vehicle (3rd car). Will order tow kit from Roadmaster. Question, do you get alot of damage to front of your toad?
Pics of the toad...Click image for larger version

Name:	20200306_174147.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	22835Click image for larger version

Name:	20200306_174158.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	22836Click image for larger version

Name:	20200306_174244.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	22837
Old 03-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #19

THOR #15081
Ford Ranger

Quote:
I have had NO problems at all with the Ranger. It tows without a problem. I love it. It is used as my tow 90% of the time. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 03-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #20

THOR #2020
Quote:

We have not had any damage on ours. We have a SuperC so the rear wheels are farther from the back and maybe less likely to throw debris than a class A where the wheels are closer to the back. I’m guessing on this though. Ours was planned to be a dedicated tow vehicle but we like driving it so much that it gets more use than our other vehicles.