Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23U_2016 View Post
This unit is on the E450 chassis and can easily tow 8,000-lb based on the GVWR and the unit weight. The only limitation is the 8,000-lb hitch advertisement as it is not an 8,000-lb hitch.
Feel fortunate.. they built my 26B in error on an E350 chassis... got the hitch but only 18500 GCVW instead of the advertised 22,000 GCVW.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #22

State: Virginia
THOR #7389
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Feel fortunate.. they built my 26B in error on an E350 chassis... got the hitch but only 18500 GCVW instead of the advertised 22,000 GCVW.
Sorry to hear that. When we were looking last year, I accidently found a V10 23U on an E350 chassis. As you know, Thor doers not have any specification or brochure that discloses that. That was just plain wrong and Thor should make it right.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #23

THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23U_2016 View Post
Sorry to hear that. When we were looking last year, I accidently found a V10 23U on an E350 chassis. As you know, Thor doers not have any specification or brochure that discloses that. That was just plain wrong and Thor should make it right.
I actually have a saved copy of both the brochure and their website that shows E450 and GCVW 22000 for the 2017 Four Winds 26B. I submitted it to them but they have yet to respond. I've also got a copy of the build sheet I submitted to the dealer since we special ordered our 26B. They all specifically state E450 and 22000....
Old 05-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #24

THOR #7389
You have an excellent position.
I hope Thor responds and provides you with a replacement RV on an E450 chassis.
Despite my towing problem with Thor, I do believe that the Four Winds 23U on the E450 cutaway is an excellent product. I enjoy it. My only gripe is that I had to pay an experienced RV shop $1,000 to beef up the 32" extension.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #25

THOR #7389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I understand your posts on weights. When Thor made the change in 2014 with their Challengers hitches mine was one that had the older 5,000 pound limit. So if I am understanding the information you posted, and other facts, then I can't really upgrade, or if I do upgrade to a 8,000 pound hitch it doesn't really increase how much tongue weight or total weight I can handle?
You are right on. Here is what Ford says:

"Do not allow the final trailer tongue weight to go above or below 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight." page 101, 2016 E Series Owner's Manual, placed by Thor in the glove box.

So an 8,000-lb Class IV hitch is meaningless unless it has a 1,200-lb tongue weight rating. Of course, you must have the GVCWR to. Mine is 22,000-lb, my unit weighs 10,600-lb so I have well over an 8,000-lb GVCWR.

At a minimum, Thor should clear this up in their advertising materials. The burden to sort this out should not be placed on the purchaser absent clear specifications by Thor.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:18 AM   #26

THOR #6414
I sent them another email today, but I'm not surprised I've not heard an answer. In January I did talk with a Thor rep at the local RV show and he did clearly point out to me the 8,000 is a hitch rating and not necessarily the towing capacity of the unit. He pulled out the calculator and did the math for an E450 and it was 7500 towing. Since my car hauler is only 7000 I was sold on this unit.... oh well... For now we are treating it like our own. Life doesn't stand still for anyone. I hope they make things right but if they don't I will clearly forever be a social media thorn in their side! If they continue to ignore me I will be able to take advantage of Indiana's lemon law and then I will be uncompromising.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #27

THOR #7389
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I sent them another email today, but I'm not surprised I've not heard an answer. In January I did talk with a Thor rep at the local RV show and he did clearly point out to me the 8,000 is a hitch rating and not necessarily the towing capacity of the unit. He pulled out the calculator and did the math for an E450 and it was 7500 towing. Since my car hauler is only 7000 I was sold on this unit.... oh well... For now we are treating it like our own. Life doesn't stand still for anyone. I hope they make things right but if they don't I will clearly forever be a social media thorn in their side! If they continue to ignore me I will be able to take advantage of Indiana's lemon law and then I will be uncompromising.
I sent the President of Thor certified letters twice. Eventually, Thor customer service calls me and tells me I am wrong. So much for any higher up involvement. I am glad to hear Indiana has a lemon law. You have every right to demand Thor replace your RV with the advertised E450 model.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #28

THOR #7389
8,000 lb Trailer Hitch For 23U Cannot Be Used For 8,000 lb Towing -Updated Info

In 2000, the DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION , National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, ruled, in response to hitch failure complaints, that the consumers needed to be better informed as follows:

"RV owners should be educated as to the seriousness of
overloading their RVs and tow vehicles. This could be accomplished
by initiating an extensive campaign by vehicle, RV manufacturers, RV
club safety committees, and national RV associations to further
define loading limits and industry-wide terminologies, to advise
owners to avoid conditions leading to overloading of both the towing
vehicle and trailer, to inspect their towing equipment periodically,
and to install weight distributing hitch systems correctly."

It seems that the NHTSA felt like consumers were overloading their hitches but that the RV industry had a responsibility to properly educate the consumer. It does not look like THOR has made much progress with this.

If you want to read about the investigation, here is a link:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-200...l/00-24584.htm

Tags
false advertising, hitch, poor customer service, towing, towing problem