Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Advice for towing Grand Cherokee

Hello

Looking for some advice on setting up my 2018 Grand Cherokee to tow behind Four Winds 35SK. I have been doing do diligence, but thought I might just see what advice anyone here has about how they tow. Roadmaster, Blue OX Denom? One thing I have to consider, my WK2 is a Trailhawk, and we do alot of Jeeping. I do not want to sacrifice my recovery hooks when not in tow. I also have the Chief Products Hidden Winch Mount, which may be involved but for now not bringing that into the mix.

Thanks for any thoughts

Rick and Pam

Old 02-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You have the power to pull anything. I have an older YJ with lift kit, aggressive 33" tires with a winch, tow hooks and brush guards...things that will interfere with those systems. I bought a 16' car hauler trailer so Jeep sleeps well underway. I think the tires would get worn pretty quick towing. The trailer allows extra stuff, like ladder, portable generator(s), extra fuel jugs, etc. I also have simple tow bar to tow four down (no braking) for local and short trips. Your Jeep is much larger and would require a longer/heavier trailer, but you have the power to pull it if you wish. There are many experts here with thousands of four-down towing success. Get ready for the options!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:25 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Can't go wrong with either Roadmaster or Blue Ox... When I set mine up, I was able to get a Roadmaster setup for less - so went that way...
2010 Jeep Wrangler - sits high (tow bar dead level with no rise/drop behind my Hurricane) - Roadmaster Falcon All Terain Towbar and base plate and Roadmaster Invisibrake.
No interference with front tow hooks in my case. No winch and stock bumper in my case.
Approx 7500 miles towing so far with no issues...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:12 AM   #4

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
Remember to add a rubber mallet to your gear so you can tap the arm levers loose and push jammed pins out when unhooking your toad.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:21 AM   #5

Model: chateau 29G
State: South Carolina
THOR #12638
I hope you dont mind my asking but i have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and i am wondering how to tow it behind my 2017 Thor Chateau 29g..the jeep has no way to disconnect the drive..just neutral for trans..no transfer case neutral like my truck..how do you disengage the 4wd to tow it?? Thanks for the heads up on the cable for the electric steering..we are really new at this and i only know what i learn from this great forum !!
Old 04-16-2019, 05:27 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar57 View Post
I hope you dont mind my asking but i have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and i am wondering how to tow it behind my 2017 Thor Chateau 29g..the jeep has no way to disconnect the drive..just neutral for trans..no transfer case neutral like my truck..how do you disengage the 4wd to tow it?? Thanks for the heads up on the cable for the electric steering..we are really new at this and i only know what i learn from this great forum !!
Maybe learn something from your Owners Manual as well. It's the source on how and if you can flat tow your vehicle:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 AM   #7

Model: chateau 29G
State: South Carolina
THOR #12638
Thanks.. i suppose you are right about the owners manual..seemed like a harmless question at the time...
Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
On my Cherokee Trailhawk the recovery hooks are now gone. The Roadmaster base plate takes up the holes on the front fascia. The safety chain hook ups next to the baseplate receptacle make a good place to hook up a clevis for recovery, after all they rated for the same weight as the tow bar. We have the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain and Invisibrake
Old 04-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #7805
My wife came up with this idea: After getting everything hooked up, give the pins and the parts they connect together a good spray of WD-40. I didn't think it would make a difference. Boy, was I wrong!! She's a genius. Pins slide out easy and if I have to use the hammer, it's just a few smacks.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
On my Cherokee Trailhawk the recovery hooks are now gone. The Roadmaster base plate takes up the holes on the front fascia. The safety chain hook ups next to the baseplate receptacle make a good place to hook up a clevis for recovery, after all they rated for the same weight as the tow bar. We have the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain and Invisibrake

I saw a video on You Tube where the tow hooks were cut off their mount and welded to a set of roadmaster mounting brackets. Looked like the original tow hooks.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post
Remember to add a rubber mallet to your gear so you can tap the arm levers loose and push jammed pins out when unhooking your toad.
Get a good tow bar and keep it maintained and the mallet won't be necessary.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
Hello

Looking for some advice on setting up my 2018 Grand Cherokee to tow behind Four Winds 35SK. I have been doing do diligence, but thought I might just see what advice anyone here has about how they tow. Roadmaster, Blue OX Denom? One thing I have to consider, my WK2 is a Trailhawk, and we do alot of Jeeping. I do not want to sacrifice my recovery hooks when not in tow. I also have the Chief Products Hidden Winch Mount, which may be involved but for now not bringing that into the mix.

Thanks for any thoughts

Rick and Pam
Since the original post was in February, I wonder what the final outcome/decision was?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Since the original post was in February, I wonder what the final outcome/decision was?
He's out crusin pulling his toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
The Jeep will add an extra dimension as stated above. The ability to go offroad! And I mean offroad! The WK2 Trailhawk, will get you there with air conditioned seats, 500 watts, and lockers! OBTW it tows wonderfully and once you put it in neutral and plug the umbilical, no worries. Our Jeep helps us choose our next stop because that is where the fun begins. Yep im biased so...

We chose the Roadmaster OffRoad 2 towbar because of its ease of use and not requiring level ground to hood up. As for braking, well we got the Blue Ox Patriot II. It took an hour or so to install the kill switch. It does not invalidate any warranties, takes two minutes to hook up, and so far just does the job!

Good luck
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #14

THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
I saw a video on You Tube where the tow hooks were cut off their mount and welded to a set of roadmaster mounting brackets. Looked like the original tow hooks.
If you go to You Tube and search for “RV Love Marc and Julie part 1of2 down flat towing setup it shows the hooks he made.
FMCA Member
Old 12-16-2019, 02:05 AM   #15

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Sorry but just saw this. Now have many miles pulling the Trailhawk. It tracks sensationally and will go 75 behind the Super C. Its a good rig. Now we have a new addition. A trailer and a side by side.

Good stuff.

Cheers
Old 12-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #16

THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
If you go to You Tube and search for “RV Love Marc and Julie part 1of2 down flat towing setup it shows the hooks he made.
At the end of part 2 they show how they modified the tow hooks
FMCA Member