Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Tytlfamily's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
Posts: 185
THOR #1599
Any One Use A Roadmaster Invisibrake?

I am getting real close to having my Jeep set up for Toad. I am going with a Blu Ox towbar, and was thinking about the Roadmaster Invisbrake, but then saw this thread. Anyone here here good or bad experience with them?

Roadmaster Invisibrake problems - iRV2 Forums


Cheers, Tom
__________________

__________________
Tytlfamily
2015 Hurricane 34E
2013 Jeep Wrangler
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Member
 
Daveht's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
Posts: 94
THOR #2072
Doesn't sound to promising! Wish you luck!
__________________

__________________
Dave - Linda
2015 Thor Palazzo 36.1
2010 Honda CR-V Toad - Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 163
THOR #2366
We towed a Chevy Tahoe using the Brake Buddy Vantage Select and never had a problem. I had the system installed at Camping World and will do the same on our next vehicle. Roadmaster guarantees the Brake Buddy and Camping World guarantees the installation. Sometimes it is not worth the money to do it yourself. The way I look at it, if something goes wrong with the system, I am covered on both ends.

Fred
__________________
Fred g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bruce's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 299
THOR #1503
I use an RVBrake, RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System for flat towing | RVi2, in my Jeep.

It costs more but the installation is simple. The hardest part of the installation is running the break-away cord.

Bruce
__________________
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Yosemitebob's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
Posts: 314
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
I am getting real close to having my Jeep set up for Toad. I am going with a Blu Ox towbar, and was thinking about the Roadmaster Invisbrake, but then saw this thread. Anyone here here good or bad experience with them?

Roadmaster Invisibrake problems - iRV2 Forums


Cheers, Tom
Tom, Thank you for the link. All day I'd been contemplating buying the Invisibrake. After reading the link you supplied, I think I would not have any problem with mine, but reading all that - I'm OUT.
__________________
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Yosemitebob's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
Posts: 314
THOR #3195
After two days of checking all the forums, links, info on different braking systems, I really beginning to appreciate the RVibrake2 system that Bruce recommended. I looking hard at this one now, and any info I can get. I'll let all know what I find out.
__________________
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Yosemitebob's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
Posts: 314
THOR #3195
Yep, I'm still looking although I have gotten it down to Unified Tow Brake. I ordered it, already, but then I'm sent others back after I've ordered them. Hope no one comes up with some bad news about it, but if there is, I want to hear about it.
__________________
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #8
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport34F
State: California
Posts: 91
THOR #3382
RVI2 Braking System

YB, did you get yours installed? Feedback?

Thanks
__________________
winder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 1,844
THOR #1589
I installed a Unified Tow Brake on my previous coach, a 2007 Class A. It wasn't that hard to install. I had the dealer move it over to my Vegas when we traded, and it has worked like a charm on both coaches. A real plus is not having to to store a brake unit when not towing, as everything is mounted under the dashboard in our toad. And it is a snap to connect.
__________________
Lessons are repeated until learned. Fast learners get extra rewards!
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Washington
Posts: 21
THOR #5060
Hi Fred...

This thread is a little stale, but hope you can help me.

First off, I'm a newbie to RV'ing...

My wife and I recently purchased a 2016 Thor Miramar 35.2 MH. It's gas (Ford Triton V-10). We are thinking of using our Tahoe as our TOAD, but am concerned that the 5000 lbs may be too much weight for our MH. We have a 8000 lb towing capacity as stated by Thor.

What type of MH do you have (diesel or gas)?

Any issues towing your Tahoe?

Appreciate any info / insight you can provide.

Thanks,
__________________
Kim & Christine Danielson
2016 Thor Miramar 35.2
2013 Honda Fit HB Sport
kdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport34F
State: California
Posts: 91
THOR #3382
Towing Capacity

I think you need to revisit the towing specs of your motor home. The brochure for your model, under specs, shows it with a 4000# towing capacity, not 8000#.

Towing a 5000# vehicle behind any model of the F53 is going to be a huge challenge on grades, even on a chassis that may be rated for it.
__________________
winder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Washington
Posts: 21
THOR #5060
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
I think you need to revisit the towing specs of your motor home. The brochure for your model, under specs, shows it with a 4000# towing capacity, not 8000#.

Towing a 5000# vehicle behind any model of the F53 is going to be a huge challenge on grades, even on a chassis that may be rated for it.
Thanks for the info... do you base this on your experience towing behind an F53? and if yes, what do you tow? What does it weigh?
__________________
Kim & Christine Danielson
2016 Thor Miramar 35.2
2013 Honda Fit HB Sport
kdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:15 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 26
THOR #5526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I installed a Unified Tow Brake on my previous coach, a 2007 Class A. It wasn't that hard to install. I had the dealer move it over to my Vegas when we traded, and it has worked like a charm on both coaches. A real plus is not having to to store a brake unit when not towing, as everything is mounted under the dashboard in our toad. And it is a snap to connect.
Mr Sunshine: I have a similar situation . I just bought a 2016 Axis 24.1 (second owner) and I plan to use my same tow vehicle. I took the unified tow brake controller and umbilical cord out of my old RV but can't find anyone to install it in my Axis quickly . The several RV dealers I consulted said they were booked up for 3 weeks to 2 months and I'd like to use it for a trip I'm leaving on in a week. I really like the UTB and it's worked well for me on my old motor home.

So I guess I'll get some experience using the Axis 24.1 with out a tow vehicle. I may have to rent a car in some places.

Sli22sli
__________________
Sli22sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 1,844
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli22sli View Post
Mr Sunshine: I have a similar situation . I just bought a 2016 Axis 24.1 (second owner) and I plan to use my same tow vehicle. I took the unified tow brake controller and umbilical cord out of my old RV but can't find anyone to install it in my Axis quickly . The several RV dealers I consulted said they were booked up for 3 weeks to 2 months and I'd like to use it for a trip I'm leaving on in a week. I really like the UTB and it's worked well for me on my old motor home.

So I guess I'll get some experience using the Axis 24.1 with out a tow vehicle. I may have to rent a car in some places.

Sli22sli


The install on the coach is not such a big deal, with the instructions in hand. US Gear has instructions on their website. The harder part is mounting the unit to the toad. PM me with your phone number, and I'll talk you through it. If you took it out of the old coach yourself, it should be a snap!

If you just can't tackle this simple project, search online for RV service and repair. Your experience with big dealers is common. A mobile tech can do the wiring in no time, and will come to you.

Maybe a trip without the car would be a good thing. Many of our forum friends travel sans tow car and get along fine. If you will need multiple rentals, you'll wish you had found a way to tow that car you left at home.

For those reading this who are considering a brake system, there are a lot of gamblers out there towing without brake systems. Many states don't require separate brakes, but some do. Should there be an accident, you'll be glad you had a brake system, the cost of a brake system wouldn't pay for much lawyering! Before you head out with an unbraked toad, check out www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm and look at the column "Brake Laws Towed Cars" and Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
__________________
Lessons are repeated until learned. Fast learners get extra rewards!
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 26
THOR #5526
I'm new on the forums. How do I send you a PM (personal message) Sli22sli
__________________

__________________
Sli22sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2