Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #343
Anyone Flat Tow a Jeep Wrangler?

I need to get the tow-bar and the connectors on the Jeep. I heard Blue Ox is good. Anyone have suggestions? I will be towing the Wrangler with a Thor Hurricane 29x.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I think any tow bar will do the job, it's just that some are nicer and more convenient then others. About 10--12 years ago I towed a Wrangler behind our mh with about as cheap a tow bar as was ever made. It work just fine.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
AHHHHH Haaaa Bard said you are cheap
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #4

THOR #343
I heard good things about Blue Ox, but it is a little pricier than some of the others. It folds nicely behind the RV and also comes with a cover.
I'll do some more research, and give a quick review after I buy one.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #5

THOR #343
I'm leaning towards the Commander towbar, as it seems to have all the features I like at a reduced price. Will update as I go.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #6

Model: Venetian
THOR #917
I picked up a Blue Ox tow bar on Craigslist with all the goodies for $350.
I tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Blue Ox makes a great product!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane w Jeep.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	108  
Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #976
[QUOTE=Tony;1536]I need to get the tow-bar and the connectors on the Jeep. I heard Blue Ox is good. Anyone have suggestions? I will be towing the Wrangler with a Thor Hurricane.

Check out this website... Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #934
Just got my Acme tow dolly and even after I asked the Jeep dealer if it would work (he replied yes), I found out that 2013 jeep manual says only tow flat or on a trailer. I have the tow dolly up for sale (at a loss, still in shipping crate) as it is non-returnable. Went with a Blue ox tow bar and brake system (cost twice as much). I hope this works, and no matter how much you look into something you can still get it wrong. Will update on how the flat tow bar works after the next trip.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 32.1
THOR #611
Go Smittybilt

I bought a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, spent $200 on a Scottybilt XRC bumper with D-Rings. Then I bought the Smittybilt tow bar for their bumpers. Total investment about $400.

I use it to tow the jeep behind our 30.1 ACE and it works perfectly. I was a bit worried about all the fancy stuff you can buy to tow a vehicle, and this seemed overly simple, but it felt solid, braking was just fine, and the Jeep tracks perfect. I love it.

Oh yeah, I also bought a $45 magnetic rear light system that sits on the rear bumper and has enough wire to reach the pig tail on the coach perfectly.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The big issue I suppose is convenience. Many people like the convenience of an adjustable towbar so they can connect the vehicle to the moho just by being close. The fixed towbars have to be precisely positioned to mate to the hitch.

This is a source of frustration for many, but the more convenience means a more expensive towbar.

Also, generally the towbar and baseplate must be the same brand, however, many companies make adapter knuckles and a few towbars for their competitor's baseplates.

I went with BlueOx, simply because I liked the baseplate better - and that predicated going with a BlueOx towbar.

Also, be mindful of the height difference between the towbar and moho hitch receiver. Different towbars have different allowable specificatoins. For example, some BlueOx towbars only tolerate a +/-3" height difference, while another model BlueOx towbar requires the moho to be 7" higher than the toad.

Generally though, for vehicle mounted towbars, the hitch coupler must be level.

This might mean one model towbar will require a drop receiver (which can cost over $100), while another model may not. So that could significantly impact the total cost of a towbar.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #11

THOR #611
Towing convenience

Ah so. I see.
It is a hassle to connect the Smittybilt up to the motorhome. When we owned a travel trailer, we went through the same thing. Gotta hit it on the nose, or drag the Jeep an inch or two.
With the wife watching and a backup camera, we get by pretty well but it is not an easy one man operation for sure.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
When I used to have a 22ft boat, I never had any issue in backing up the pickup to align the coupler.

But I am not sure why this is so much different. Perhaps it's my age, perhaps it's something else.

The only thing I think that might help is those alignment sticks that magnetically attach to the hitch ball and coupler.

Who knew towbars were so complicated...
Old 09-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #13

THOR #611
I think it is the limited visibility and the long wheel base of a motorhome that makes small corrections an order of magnitude more difficult. The easiest way is to have the tow bar held by a handy helper, like a wife, then drive the Jeep to the rv ball rather than back the rv to it. To keep relations healthy, do this only when the jeep is close to the rv. I use a bungee cord to hold it up until I am ready and in position.
Or, you and I are both getting old.