Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Is braking system absolute on toad

Have just bought the Ford C-Max. Great towable car, weighs about 3600 lbs.. I know when in rv parks spoke to owners of the Honda Fit who stated they didn’t use brakes or lites because it was under 3000 lbs. Need another car so may want to tow a smaller vehicle. Does anyone tow a toad without a brake. I’m sure it’s much safer but the cost got me by surprise. May be worth it to tow a lite car without the brake. Maybe yes maybe no. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
That < 3000 lbs rule is based on the state. Depending on the state you are traveling in, you could fall within their laws.

I have a 3,100 lbs Mini Countryman. I've yet to set it up for tow because I'm still not over the fact that the SMI is like $900. But I would definitely use it because we don't limit our travels to certain states.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
100,000+ miles around the country, Canada, even Alaska with our Fiesta and Focus - never had one, don't know the vehilces even there, never had any issues, even when pulling one behind the many new coaches I've delivered from the factories to dealers.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #4

THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
100,000+ miles around the country, Canada, even Alaska with our Fiesta and Focus - never had one, don't know the vehilces even there, never had any issues, even when pulling one behind the many new coaches I've delivered from the factories to dealers.
I do believe that you are correct regarding not even feeling the vehicle back there based on the weight. I'm more concerned with the legal implications of not having one when the law requires it.
RV Travel Bug
Old 03-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
everyone will use one, or not, depending on their preferences or concerns... but it's rarely the 'risk' to yourself or the public that some tend to make it out as. More people run a risk for an accident because they break the speed limit, but they tend to gloss over that.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:16 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I don't believe it is really necessary except in a panic stop or stopped by police in safety check or in the event of police involvement in an accident. Barring any of these issues I'm certain you don't need one. Since I can not be sure of these things not occurring, I have a Brake Buddy.

It's kind of like auto insurance...do I need it? Only if stopped by the police (for any reason) or in an accident...it's the law.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
We did our first trip towing a jeep trailhawk 4 wheels down. I had to trade in my nice honda pilot with heated leather seats and auto hatch lift just so we wouldn't have to use the trailer. We spent 3k for the brake system and tow system, that Cliff had to install to save $$. Our last 2 days we drove 1000 miles from NC to New Orleans. It handled like a dream.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:13 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
It depends on the state. Here is a map that will help you.

I have gone down some steep grades in the Rockies and made a couple of panic stops where I was happy to have a brake system in the toad,
Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Do you HAVE to use a braking system?
It depends on where you're going?

But the real question to ask yourself is:
"Would I mind dealing with the consequences if I don't; and things don't work out as planned?"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
We don't currently have a brake system on our Sonic but we do have lights. There will be a brake system installed before we start traveing farther and longer than just in the southeast. I'm more concerned about burning up the MH brakes descending long mountain passes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:18 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Personally, I don't care how many RVers run without brakes or lights on their towed vehicles, I won't hit the road without both. Even a light car will add to your stopping distance on a chassis that is likely near it's weight capacity.

There are a lot of good reasons to invest in a Brake Buddy or equivalent. Peace of mind tops my list.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:26 AM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #7634
I purchased a used 96 Geo Tracker last fall for towing this season. Since it only weighs 2500 lbs. I could probably get away pulling it with our Windsport 27K. The cost of supplemental brake systems was a shock. Then I found the NSA Readybrake. Around $400. Very simple design with good reviews. I added the ReadyStop break away for a full system. I feel confident now I won't have any stopping or law issues anywhere I want to go.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 AM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do you HAVE to use a braking system?
It depends on where you're going?

But the real question to ask yourself is:
"Would I mind dealing with the consequences if I don't; and things don't work out as planned?"

Agree, however, using that same logic, why do you ride a 3 wheeler? And why does anyone ride a motorcycle since they don’t have seat belts or airbags, and a head-on collision is almost a certain death?

The simple fact is that practically all motorhomes don’t stop anywhere as fast as cars, so from a braking standpoint we are already taking an added risk. So what makes that OK and 10% to 20% more than that not OK?

There can be no absolute correct answer (besides legal requirements) because what is safe enough is subjective, and most people will have a different answer based on their personal risk tolerance.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 AM   #14

THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Agree, however, using that same logic, why do you ride a 3 wheeler? And why does anyone ride a motorcycle since they don’t have seat belts or airbags, and a head-on collision is almost a certain death?

The simple fact is that practically all motorhomes don’t stop anywhere as fast as cars, so from a braking standpoint we are already taking an added risk. So what makes that OK and 10% to 20% more than that not OK?

There can be no absolute correct answer (besides legal requirements) because what is safe enough is subjective, and most people will have a different answer based on their personal risk tolerance.
I feel the need to point out, when in traffic the risk you may feel comfortable assuming also applies to everyone around you.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 03-28-2018, 02:36 AM   #15

THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
I purchased a used 96 Geo Tracker last fall for towing this season. Since it only weighs 2500 lbs. I could probably get away pulling it with our Windsport 27K. The cost of supplemental brake systems was a shock. Then I found the NSA Readybrake. Around $400. Very simple design with good reviews. I added the ReadyStop break away for a full system. I feel confident now I won't have any stopping or law issues anywhere I want to go.
I agree with the shock part. I couldn't believe how much it costs for all the towing gear. It's roughly about the same hit with a dolly or four down equipment.

One concern that someone pointed out to me with the Readybrake: If you are facing down hill, will the weight of your car apply the brakes? If you are going down hill, will the car begin to put a drag on your momentum?
RV Travel Bug
Old 03-28-2018, 03:54 AM   #16

THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I agree with the shock part. I couldn't believe how much it costs for all the towing gear. It's roughly about the same hit with a dolly or four down equipment.

One concern that someone pointed out to me with the Readybrake: If you are facing down hill, will the weight of your car apply the brakes? If you are going down hill, will the car begin to put a drag on your momentum?
Very good question. I suppose the heavier the toad, the more possible you could experience drag. You can adjust the braking cable to decrease the action. From reading other folks experiences, this doesn't appear to be a problem. Guess I will find out.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 03-28-2018, 04:34 AM   #17

THOR #2271
My rig (E350) has a tow/haul setting to handle downhill hauls.

The brake system I have uses momentum to determine when to apply brakes.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
I feel the need to point out, when in traffic the risk you may feel comfortable assuming also applies to everyone around you.
You’re absolutely correct.

I feel the need to point out that when any of us drives a large SUV instead of a compact car, we are also decreasing safety to everyone around us. And when we drive a 15,000-pound motorhome, a collision with others will likely do them more damage than if we were driving a car.

Basically, when we go out for a drive in anything, we reduce safety to others more than if we stayed home. So who decides, beyond legal requirements, what is acceptable?

No doubt we need to meet all legal requirements. Beyond that, it’s not as black and white as it first appears.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

I ride because it helps keep me young, and immature.
And I ride a Spyder, because I'm doing what I feel is necessary, to reduce the risks associated with riding...

But it's NOT your life that you risk: it's everybody on the road around you; should things get ugly!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1522238696
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whatever Floats Your Goat.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	9506  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I have always towed a car. There have been times that I have been glad that I had a good braking system for the toad. When the guy in front of you stops unexpectedly for example.

Yes it is expensive but we have used the same toad and braking system for many years, have traveled many miles, including cross country and would never think of not having a braking system for the toad.

Probably the police will never stop you to check if you have a braking system, but if you get in an accident you can be sure that is one of the first things they will want to know.