Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2018, 11:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
Anyone tow a 1995 Jeep Wrangler?

We are looking for a tow vehicle with all 4 wheels down. Our budget is on the small side. I have run across 2 different 1995 wranglers with decent mileage. I know wranglers are pretty understood to be tow friendly, but since these are older I wanted to try and verify it. I doubt either has the manual for me to check and I can't find one online anywhere. I found a Chilton manual but that seems to indicate you should not tow with all 4 wheels on the ground. They are both 4x4 where the transfer can be placed in neutral. I welcome any feedback anyone has.

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I towed a 1997 with no problem. It was recommended to start engine and put transmission in gear every 200 miles
Old 01-03-2019, 02:11 AM   #3

THOR #12424
Thanks K0LCB, that is an interesting tidbit. Hadn't thought about that, I guess they have improved over the years to remove that requirement from newer models (at least I haven't seen anyone say that about he newer models)

Thanks again
Old 01-03-2019, 02:54 AM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
1989 YJ, 5 speed. Tow with ignition in first position (unlocks steering), engine off, trans in 5th gear and transfer case in neutral. No issues.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #5

THOR #12424
Thanks Gritz. We found a 97 that looks pretty good, I think we are writing off the 95s because of their condition. The 97 has a winch on the front bumper, so I need to research if that bumper sticks out further than stock to see if he base plate fits with it.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab3864 View Post
Thanks Gritz. We found a 97 that looks pretty good, I think we are writing off the 95s because of their condition. The 97 has a winch on the front bumper, so I need to research if that bumper sticks out further than stock to see if he base plate fits with it.

I didn't install a base plate. Just bought the 89 and it came with a tow bar. Coach has 10K towing and diesel power so I'm gonna give it a shot at towing four down occasionally but will mostly tow it on a 16' car hauler trailer I bought for it. Gives me room for portable generator(s), ladder, fuel jugs, smoker and other stuff....depending on where were going. I don't think the "no brakes" will be an issue since the Jeep is so light and I won't be towing it that way too much. Good luck with it. Having a Jeep behind you opens up new roads most people don't see....especially out west.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Dragging a Jeep behind you is almost as much fun as bringing along a couple of 4x4 ATVs...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #8

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
My almost daily barrage of questions! I didn’t get an owners manual with my 2004 Jeep and I’m unsure of the sequence of events I need to do to tow this thing.
It has a 5 speed manual transmission. I believe I’m suppose to turn the key to the accessory position but there are no makers to indicate where the acc position is.
So once I’ve figured that out I think I’m suppose to engage the clutch and put the transfer case in neutral, then shift into gear. 5th gear I guess?? The key remains in the ignition so the steering wheel is allowed to turn?
I have a key to my Acura that allows me to open the doors and put the ignition to acc but it will not allow you to start the car. They told me the key doesn’t have the required chip needed to do so. Is that something I need to have made? Seems like a good idea.
My towing experience has been pulling bumper pull and gooseneck horse trailers. Will a toad track true like a bumper pull or more like a gooseneck?
Sorry for all the questions but the closer I get to leaving for Florida the more I realize I know little to nothing about towing a car!
Advice needed and welcomed!!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:33 AM   #9

THOR #12424
You should be able to download the 2005 manual here: https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/my-...t-vehicle.html

From what I have looked at the part about towing has been the same. Sounds like you have it right. Step on clutch, put transfer in neutral. Then manual says to start engine and put in gear to verify there is no movement, then shut off (but leave it in gear).

They don't mention what position to leave the key in. I have also never seen anything about disconnecting the battery or removing fuses, so I don't know if any of that is required. I'm still learning myself.

Interesting idea about having a key made. I'm not sure if that would work. I was thinking people would just have 2 sets and leave one in ignition and then lock the doors. I'm curious to see what people say.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
1997 Jeep TJ

We will be towing a '97 Jeep TJ with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual transmission. Looking at the Ready Brute Elite with the Ready Brake and instead of the base plate, am considering an aftermarket bumper that will pin directly into the tow bar arms. Knowing that some of you have had this type of system previously, we are looking for opinions as to the pros and cons for this type of set-up.