Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Anyone tow their camper with a Ram 1500 Hemi ?

I’ve got an 04’ Hemi Ram Quad Cab 4x4 with around 130,000 miles on it. Mechanically it’s in great shape…no issues at all.

I’ve recently picked up a 19ft camper trailer that weights around 4,000lbs….and the family and I are planning on doing lots of road trips, most around 12-16+ hours. Are there any items that I should upgrade on the truck before I do all of this towing? It’s got good brakes (aftermarket rotors & pads), and it’s got the factory towing package on it (not sure what that really gains me). Anything else I should look at upgrading?

Old 06-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
This website will tell you what weight you can tow once you enter your vehicle criteria.

Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine

You'll also need to add a brake controller assuming the 4000 LB trailer has brakes. I prefer Prodigy brake controllers since they are self adjusting.

Good luck.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
The factory towing package, gives you a bigger trans cooler, bigger Altenator, Sven prong wiring, A bigger cooler for the power steering, and a few other items I can not remember. Dose not include the power folding trailer mirror. But you can get those from ebay for around 85 dollers takes about ten to fifteen minutes to install. The rear end depends on what size your tires are. Check the tires if they are not LT tires consider replacing them with LT's
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Well, we got our trailer out for the first time over the weekend and my truck (04’ Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi) seemed to pull it just fine. I’ve got a nice Curt brand load leveling type hitch with the sway control, and I have a brake controller in the truck for the trailer brakes.

Overall it pulled it really well…..but when you start getting up over 65mph you can really tell that you are pulling something that has the aerodynamics of a brick wall. It’s no diesel, but the 350hp Hemi in the truck seemed to hold its own as long as you don’t mind spinning up the RPM’s when you need more power.

I have a 3-inch Flowmaster aftermarket exhaust on the truck which I never really thought was too loud in the past….but after towing that trailer for 2hrs, I’m starting to think that a quieter exhaust might be something that I need to look into. I think if I had to hear that exhaust during a 10+ hour road trip, it would drive me nuts. If the road is nice and flat it’s pretty quiet and no big deal, but when you are climbing hills and trying to maintain 60+mph and the motor is running 4000+rpms…….it gets annoying in a hurry.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #7569
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Overall it pulled it really well…..but when you start getting up over 65mph you can really tell that you are pulling something that has the aerodynamics of a brick wall. It’s no diesel, but the 350hp Hemi in the truck seemed to hold its own as long as you don’t mind spinning up the RPM’s when you need more power.
We towed a fifth-wheel with a diesel dually for almost 3 years. No way you should tow over 65 mph. Trailer tires will get too hot and BOOM! They are almost always loaded to the max and can get too hot at higher speeds.

Slow down and enjoy the trip.