Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #21
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
I was given a blue ox tow bar. At the Tampa show Blue Ox was there and would refurbished your tow bar for a nominal fee. I gave them my tow bar to refurbish and when they returned the tow bar they informed me that the arms were slightly bent probably caused by the previous owner trying to back up with a vehicle attached to the tow bar.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
If you have a small class c, would it be possible to put the motorhome in neutral and put the toad in reverse and back up. I would think you would have a driver in the motorhome also to apply brakes. I"ve never heard of anyone trying this, but it seem like it should work on level ground.
I don't think it would solve much because the front wheels of the toad would have to be aimed in the exact direction that the motorhome's rear hitch would take the tow bar as both units move back, and I think that would be essentially impossible to coordinate other than moving 100% straight back; and probably only for very short distance even then.

Ultimately the tow bar will want to skid the toad's front wheels laterally across the pavement. This creates forces that are not normal while towing, hence equipment isn't designed for it. None of it. Not the tow bar and attachment, the hitch receiver, or the motorhome's chassis.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I don't think it would solve much because the front wheels of the toad would have to be aimed in the exact direction that the motorhome's rear hitch would take the tow bar as both units move back, and I think that would be essentially impossible to coordinate other than moving 100% straight back; and probably only for very short distance even then.

Ultimately the tow bar will want to skid the toad's front wheels laterally across the pavement. This creates forces that are not normal while towing, hence equipment isn't designed for it. None of it. Not the tow bar and attachment, the hitch receiver, or the motorhome's chassis.
Or the car's chassis for that matter! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #24

State: Alabama
THOR #6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

That seem right. The front wheel caster is still going to come into play.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Here is what BlueOx has to say

This subject can be cussed and discussed but here is what BlueOx has to say. This is taken directly from the installation manual.

Disconnect the towed vehicle from the towing vehicle before backing up. Do Not Back Up while vehicles are connected! Damage to both vehicles and the towing system may occur. The towed vehicle may jackknife causing abnormal stress to the tow bar, car chassis, baseplate and/or pintle hitch of the towing vehicle. These abnormal stresses may cause damage that may go undetected.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #26

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
If you don't mind spending several hundred dollars to replace/repair your tow bar, go ahead and back up. Me... I'll take the 10 minutes and disconnect.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #27
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
If you don't mind spending several hundred dollars to replace/repair your tow bar, go ahead and back up. Me... I'll take the 10 minutes and disconnect.
I agree. Personally I will abide by what the people at Blue Ox say since they designed and built the tow bar.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #28

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I towed for eleven years, and once or twice backed up maybe a distance of 18 to 20 inches. In that short a distance the toads front wheels were turned almost to the lock. When towing avoid situations that may require backing up, its something that should not be done. I once watched someone driving a 40+ foot DP with a Jeep on the back, backup for about 30 or 40 feet. The Jeeps front wheels were hard locked to one side, and skidding in that position as it was being pushed backwards. Don't know what damage may have been done, but it certainly did not do it any good. I would guess at the very least it would have required a front end alignment, maybe some components replaced.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
....cut...

The Jeeps front wheels were hard locked to one side, and skidding in that position as it was being pushed backwards. Don't know what damage may have been done, but it certainly did not do it any good. I would guess at the very least it would have required a front end alignment, maybe some components replaced.
That part wouldn't bother me. Cars in general have to be designed so that they can slide on dry pavement without damage, or requiring an alignment. When driven hard it's not unusual for any car to be put into a drift that would load the suspension in similar manner, or maybe worse. A Jeep in particular is built rugged to take off-road abuse, so I'd expect the suspension to take sliding without issues.

A Jeep is also different than most cars because the tow bar can be attached to thicker and more solid steel frame, unlike most cars that are built out of thinner metal. There isn't much chance of buckling the frame or attachment point.