Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass, 23TB
State: Florida
THOR #9782
Backing up toad using Blue Ox System

I have been told by several people that backing up my Thor Compass 23TB with a 2015 Chevy Equinox toad connected with the Blue Ox system should never be done.

Does anyone out there know if someone was at the wheel of the toad, and if the ground was level, and the distance was only 20 to 30 feet, can backing be done safely by turning the steering wheel as needed to prevent a jack knife situation and/or damage to the tow bars?

j2iron (a newbee as you can tell from the question)

Old 11-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
With someone at the wheel of the toad that understands the turning dynamics, for a short distance? Sure.

In reverse the toad's wheels do not track due to the caster of the wheels so without positive intervention it should never be done.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you'll not be able to 'stop' the toad steering wheel from turning by hand, there is too much force from the backing of the tow vehicle.... but, it's certainly NOT impossible to simply back with your toad, you just have to be careful since the narrow distance between your vehicle and the toad can 'easily' create a jack-knife situation... but, it's not only about the jack-knife, but also the ability for the vehicle to 'push' the toad wheels while they are at an angle, meaning that the toad tires might be 'dragged' if you are not careful.

but, yes, you CAN back with your toad, you just have to be careful and make it a short distance. It does happen to most of us infrequently at fuel stations, or tight situations. I've backed in some situations, where it was clear and no obstructions or other traffic, and I've safely unhooked and moved the toad when the situation demanded.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you're towing 4 down it seems to me that it would be far simpler to simply unhook, and drive the toad somewhere. Isn't that the point of towing four down: Unplug the wires, pop the two towbars off and the toad is free.

Now with a dolly its a bit more of a challenge...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Backing more than a couple of feet, will cause the front wheels to turn all the way to the lock. The force would be impossible for a person to overcome, and continued backing will push the car skidding the front wheels in a full turn lock, a sure formula for expensive damage to the front end of your toad. With a toad attached, its best to imagine that reverse does not exist as a transmission option.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:58 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We (really I) have run down a couple of rabbit holes - thats a place you cannot get out fo with your coach with toad attached - and tried to back up a couple of feet. Only real solution is to do the unhook and rehook thing. Takes about 5 minutes and could save thousands in damage.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you'll not be able to 'stop' the toad steering wheel from turning by hand, there is too much force from the backing of the tow vehicle.... but, it's certainly NOT impossible to simply back with your toad, you just have to be careful since the narrow distance between your vehicle and the toad can 'easily' create a jack-knife situation... but, it's not only about the jack-knife, but also the ability for the vehicle to 'push' the toad wheels while they are at an angle, meaning that the toad tires might be 'dragged' if you are not careful.

but, yes, you CAN back with your toad, you just have to be careful and make it a short distance. It does happen to most of us infrequently at fuel stations, or tight situations. I've backed in some situations, where it was clear and no obstructions or other traffic, and I've safely unhooked and moved the toad when the situation demanded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Backing more than a couple of feet, will cause the front wheels to turn all the way to the lock. The force would be impossible for a person to overcome, and continued backing will push the car skidding the front wheels in a full turn lock, a sure formula for expensive damage to the front end of your toad. With a toad attached, its best to imagine that reverse does not exist as a transmission option.
Start the toad and let the power steering do the work.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 AM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
A seasoned rver that I asked about backing his motorhome with toad attached & his response was "of course I can back it up________about a foot".
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Don't do it, but if you do try to back your toad up more than a couple of feet, please take a video of it, so we can all be entertained!
Old 11-22-2017, 01:44 AM   #10

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Sunshine - that is funny right there.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Blue Ox says not to do it in their manual. Our Jeep manual also says not to back with a tow bar.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Start the toad and let the power steering do the work.
I agree with you that it's not about being limited by steering effort/force; but I also think that it doesn't matter because it's essentially impossible for a driver in the toad to line up the front wheels in direction of travel (unless limited to 100% straight back). And if wheels are not lined up extremely close, then the damage is done anyway.

I tried it a few times with an open wheel buggy and gave up. It was easier (in my case) to let front wheels skid across road, which didn't hurt anything because front end was extremely light. However, I wouldn't do it with a normal car.

Most importantly, the Compass 23TB is on Ford Transit chassis which has semi-unitized construction, and it has a frame extension to make it even worse. Unintended side forces at hitch receiver could easily do damage to motorhome.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:24 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We were told that the forces of trying to back up will bend the two bars within a foot or two of backward travel and that they cannot be straightened. Not worth the chance. Disconnect and the reconnect.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #14

Model: 37 KT
State: Ohio
THOR #9250
I believe the tow bar is designed to PULL, if you try to push it will most likely bend the bar rendering the telescoping function inop. They're pretty easy to disconnect, much easier than pulling another $650 out of my wallet
XJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJPR View Post
I believe the tow bar is designed to PULL, if you try to push it will most likely bend the bar rendering the telescoping function inop. They're pretty easy to disconnect, much easier than pulling another $650 out of my wallet
I believe the tow bars are designed to completely handle the weight of the toad pushing on the motorhome while braking. If not, and the toad brakes failed, you would have a crunched tow bar. Ever seen a crunched tow bar? Yeah......, me neither.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:42 AM   #16

THOR #5821
Backing will not hurt your tow bar, but will sure damage the front end components of your toad. As long as your toad does not exceed the weight rating of your tow bar, its not the tow bar that will be damaged.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
I have had to back up a foot or two here or there at gas stations or tight corners but anything more we have always unhooked.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #18

THOR #5821
One or two feet is just about the limit.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I backed mine up a few feet at a gas station once. At first glance it appeared to cause no damage at all. When I got to my destination and disconnected it took all my strength to slide the tow bar arms back in. I still use that tow bar but it is very difficult to push them back every time I disconnect. Evidently it caused a slight bend in the arm, invisible to the eye, but there non the less. Mu suggestion...NEVER back up.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #20

State: Alabama
THOR #6573
If you have a small class c, would it be possible to put the motorhome in neutral and put the toad in reverse and back up. I would think you would have a driver in the motorhome also to apply brakes. I"ve never heard of anyone trying this, but it seem like it should work on level ground.