Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Best Tow Bar/Brake Combo & Protecting Toad

I'm sorry if some of this has already been discussed, but it's late and I'm too tired to search the forum for similar discussions.
I'm about to install a tow bar and braking system on my toad, and I'm asking for your best advice not only for tow bars and braking systems, but also how best to protect my toad when traveling. My rig is an ACE 30.2 Bunkhouse and my toad is a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a 3" lift kit and oversized wheels and tires. I've zeroed in on a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and a SMI Stay N Play braking system; would certainly love to hear any reviews on these products and/or if you recommend a different combination. Also, should I invest in something like a Roadmaster Tow Defender, Blue Ox KarGuard deflector, or the like? Finally, are mud flaps sufficient or should I look into one of those rear rock guards that go all the way across the rear of the coach? Sorry for so many questions, but my jeep is pretty sharp and I want not only to tow her safely, I also want to keep her looking good! Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 07-27-2017, 04:46 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Because of their height and shape Jeeps generally don't need a stone protector. I towed my Jeep Wrangler for several years without one and never had any problems.

Blue Ox tow bar is the best in my opinion, get the set of locking hitch pins to go with it

This is where you want to go for a wiring harness for your Jeep, easiest and best on the market to use. CoolTechLLC
Old 07-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Same experience as SuperD towing my 2010 Wrangler Islander - no sign of anything hitting it with its height... With a 3" lift kit on an Unlimited - I expect anything kicked up by the RV will sail clear underneath the Wrangler to the windshield behind you..

I use the Roadmaster setup - Flacon All-Terrain Tow Bar and Invisibrake... Nothing at all wrong with Blue Ox (or Roadmaster) - price was my deciding point - at the time I got the Roadmaster setup significantly cheaper.

Same type of wiring harness as SuperD - I used the Mopar version... About the same price... Using the existing wiring and lights is the simplest to me. They are plug and play from connector standpoint - in my case did require removing the right front fender to route wire... Got an interesting reaction from DW when she saw 'her' Jeep disassembled in the garage. - but normal for many Jeep owners...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote