Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #10467
Suggestions for a brake system for my "toad"?

I'm leaning towards a RViBrake3 system and would like to know if anyone has any positive or negative comments? It's not as well known as Roadmaster for example but their device sounds quite intriguing. I had a invisbrake in a previous car that I was none to satisfied with as it kept draining my battery.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #2

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Interesting, we've been using the invisibrake system with no issues at all. It recharges your toad battery direct from the coach. Who did your installation?
Old 12-15-2018, 12:29 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #10467
Camping World-maybe that's the reason why!! Also, with what virtually everyone charges for the installation, that pretty much ties you up for that specific car until it wears out. It would quite likely cost about as much to take it out as it does to put it in.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m probably going to use an SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo system. It’s like the invisibrake in that it stays in the car and just plugs in to tow. I’ll probably install it myself as it looks pretty straightforward.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:31 AM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Have used the U.S. Gear system for years. Once installed, it activates just by plugging the umbilical to the motorhome and the toad. Have never had a problem with it.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
I’ve been using the RVi2 for a little over 3 years. Overall, very happy with product and support. I know the RVi3 is slightly different.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We also have the US Gear Unified Tow Brake and have used it for years without issue, but that system is no longer being made. Roadmaster's Invisibrake is similar and readily available.

This has been well discussed on this forum. The toad mounted brake system works for us because we've only had one car to tow and we intend to keep it for a long time. If you don't tow much or trade often, the portable units make a lot more sense.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We have an RViBrake 3 and its performed well over this last season. We tow a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which requires the flat tow cable (better known as the death wobble cable) that turns on the electronic power steering while towing. This requires a lot more power than the RViBrake 3, so we had the RVi battery charger installed to keep the Jeep's battery charged. No problems so far.

If you read about them on their web site, you will find that the owner was the original developer of the Brake Buddy system. He sold off Brake Buddy and formed RVi once his non-compete expired.

The Jeep also needed a supplementary bar that goes against the seat rails. RViBrake sent us one for free. We could have just run down there and picked it up as they are just short ride down the I-25 and Castle Rock has a couple of decent breweries.

The RViBrake3 is simple to put in place and activate. The tablet and interface modules are so-so and we don't use them much. The RViBrake doesn't need the tablet or any connection to operate.

Our experience is that the tablet and interface puck lose their charge fairly quickly and need to be plugged into the coach power while driving. The interface puck lives in the bedroom and is plugged into one of the USB charging ports we have there. The tablet lives up front and needs to be plugged into the USB charging port up there. We actually only use the table for initial set up and very occasional monitoring of the system. We seldom keep the RViBrake display up.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:29 AM   #9

Model: 32N
State: Oregon
THOR #11137
There seems to be a lot of good systems available.

We have a SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo system, and no complaints so far.

Towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a hurricane 32N.