Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 01:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29
State: Indiana
THOR #9245
Looking for input on a tow bar for our '04 Jeep Wrangler

Just bought an '04 Jeep Wrangler to tow behind our Windsport 29M. I see tow bars range from $129.00 to over $1,200.00. I've towed my 1945 Ford Jeep behind a pick up truck and it is a major pain to get it just right to hook it up. I can only imagine a Jeep twice that weight getting hooked on the ball.
I see in the Camping World catalog there are some that attach to the toad and some that attach to the RV. I've always thought that they either fold up on the toad front bumper or come off entirely. What's deal? Do they now hang off the back of the RV?
Thanks for any help,
jay

Old 07-15-2018, 02:20 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
A good quality tow bar, such as a Blue Ox, isn’t cheap. The tow bar can stay attached to the MH hitch, preferably with a locking hitch pin to prevent it from growing legs, when not it use it folds up and then you put on a cover. Telescoping and locking arms make hookups easy. You will need a baseplate adapter for the Jeep and then wiring for light, and a braking system. (Required by law in most states for safety reasons)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #3

Model: 29.2 ACE
State: California
THOR #11409
I used the Blue Ox BX7445 Aventa LX 10,000lbs tow bar.
They range from 400-600 plus you'll need to go to the blue ox web site to determine the jeep mounts based on the configuration of the jeep.
Granted the tow bar maybe over kill I use it is peace of mind.

Safe travels
Old 07-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #10823
Where at in Indiana are you located? Elkhart Hitch set us up with a complete Roadmaster system, receiver, towbar and brake system. As SuperD said, not cheap but we've towed our 05 Liberty through the Tennassee mountains with no worries. They do drawbars for a lot of the RV delivery outfits there in Elkhart, good folks that know tow bars. I'd go to a specialty shop way before CW.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Wide range of features - as well as price as you have seen...
The higher end ones have the telescoping arms SuperD mentioned - and a means of releasing the pressure to more easily disconnect.

I use the Falcon All Terrain which allows you to connect/disconnect easily without being level/aligned.

Connecting is always a breeze - Disconnect usually is too!
(If stopped on an uphill - to disconnect need to have the Jeep 'push' a little so the pressure is towards the RV for the 'release' to work. Nothing it can do if the vehicle is trying to pull away when unhooking.)
It's been easy to use - and worth the extra $$ in my mind.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I also use Blue Ox Aventa bars. I bought the heavier 10K bars in case I want to tow a heavier car in the future. Used a Blue Ox baseplate on my last car, but the current one only has Roadmaster available, so an adapter makes them mate nicely. Forget any tow bars that don't telescope.

Unless you are installing yourself, you may find that the installers want to sell you the hardware. That way they get a little markup, but it may not cost any more than you buying direct and paying retail. Do some shopping and call several installers for quotes.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:29 AM   #7
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I also use Blue Ox Aventa bars. I bought the heavier 10K bars in case I want to tow a heavier car in the future. Used a Blue Ox baseplate on my last car, but the current one only has Roadmaster available, so an adapter makes them mate nicely. Forget any tow bars that don't telescope.

Unless you are installing yourself, you may find that the installers want to sell you the hardware. That way they get a little markup, but it may not cost any more than you buying direct and paying retail. Do some shopping and call several installers for quotes.
Mr. Sunshine

Could you please give me dates and location of Thor rally?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2018, 04:26 AM   #8

Model: 32N
State: Oregon
THOR #11137
I tow a 2011 Grand Cherokee behind our '15 Hurricane 32N. Road Master Falcon 2 hitch with SMI Dou toad brake system.
Jeep weighs 5300 lbs. Cost about $3K new and installed.
A little spendy, but works great and easy hook up.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #9

THOR #9245
My local Camping World used to have a huge showroom with a tow bar display. Now it is all glass offices for the rv sales guys. Go figure. So I'm still up in the air about tow bars that stay with the RV or the ones that stay with the front bumper. What's the best way to go with my little Jeep? I just don't want to add too much weight to the front of the Jeep.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #10

THOR #10823
My opinion you'll be happier with a "coach mounted" tow bar. Everything heavy stays on the coach and folds away when not in use. Only thing visible on our Jeep when not being towed is the two attachment point on the receiver. Simple and clean, 10 minutes to hook up and light and brake check. We really like our Road Master set up.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Why does the tow bar have to stay with either? I have a sub $100 Reese tow bar for my toad that connects to the toad brackets with 2 pins and has a ball on the other end to drop on the hitchball. When the toad is disconnected the bar lifts from the ball, 2 pins are removed and the entire tow bar can be carried with one hand to its home in a rear storage compartment.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #12

THOR #10823
The coach mounted could easily be removed from the coach's receiver and put in a storage compartment if you want to give up the space. I see no reason to when the Falcon 2 is designed to stay in the receiver and just fold to the side.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
When I towed a Wrangler I used a Falcon II. I installed a remote control winch to the fron of my Jeep. After market front bumper made it easy to attach Base plates and winch. I towed it for over 30,000 miles. It was a 2009 YJ
Old 08-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #14

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
I just had my 2015 Cherokee modified to flat tow, $4200. Other price in town was a hair uner $5,000.

The big problem is having to remove the two front tow hooks that came on the Trailhawk, and install bars, connectors, etc, to hook the tow bar onto, and the breakaway, brake system, etc.

The shop said the MH charges the jeep battery so it doesn't run down from the lights, turn signals, brake lights, etc.

Jeep should be hung by their "townails" for having such a STUPID design that cost WE the CUSTOMERS so much $$$ to make it flat towable. and then there's a full 3/4 page of instructions to get the transmission in a flat tow mode. Then reverse the process when you want to drive it.

Stupid Stupid Stupid.

And, now I'm told, it if has the infamous "death wobble", will cost another $500+ from Jeep to install some type of Electronic Power Steering connector and even more hassle with installing a separate fuse under the hood. Then removing it and other stuff when you want to drive.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #15

THOR #10823
Wow - talk about "progress" in a negative direction!

Our '05 Jeep Liberty is simplicity itself to get ready to tow. Pull up behind coach, hook up, put Jeep transfer case in neutral and auto trans in park, do a light and brake check and you're done. No death wobble worries, no pulling fuses and with the invis-i-brake system there is nothing to take in and out of the toad.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #16

THOR #9245
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with a coach mounted unit and removable brake lights. And being in the flattest place I have ever seen, there is no law for toad brakes. Although if we ever go back to Colorado again, we need brakes!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:41 PM   #17

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with a coach mounted unit and removable brake lights. And being in the flattest place I have ever seen, there is no law for toad brakes. Although if we ever go back to Colorado again, we need brakes!
And I'm in the beat place to live. Colorado. 2 hrs from Moab, UT and 2 hrs from the fantastic San Juan Mtns, and 45 min away from the Grand Mesa, not to mention many other mountains. even here in the "desert" there are many steep hills/passes with switchbacks, need the brakes.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #18

THOR #10823
berryboats, Although Indiana (most of it ) is flat Indiana law requires you to have brakes on anything being towed that weighs more than 3000 lbs. Most Wranglers are over that limit so you might consider weighing your Wrangler to be sure. And one last word of advise, I was an EMT/Firefighter - Fire/Rescue for 15 years and have seen A LOT of bad stuff on the highways. $100 tow bars and no brakes are a sure recipe for problems. Whatever you choose, please keep safety (yours and the other guy's) in your mind when making decisions.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #19

Model: Outlaw 3611
State: North Carolina
THOR #10869
Jeep wiring

Mopar makes a factory tow harness for the 2010 wrangler. It uses 12v from the MH and that operates the stock tail lights and turn signals. No wire harness hacking or extra lights stuck on the Jeep. I have a Curtis tow are that attaches to the manufacturers skid plate. Works pretty good for me, just have to get your spouse to pull up and hitch. Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
berryboats, Although Indiana (most of it ) is flat Indiana law requires you to have brakes on anything being towed that weighs more than 3000 lbs. Most Wranglers are over that limit so you might consider weighing your Wrangler to be sure. And one last word of advise, I was an EMT/Firefighter - Fire/Rescue for 15 years and have seen A LOT of bad stuff on the highways. $100 tow bars and no brakes are a sure recipe for problems. Whatever you choose, please keep safety (yours and the other guy's) in your mind when making decisions.
Good thing my tow bar only cost $85 dollars then.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote