Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Brake controller adapter/harness for Hurricane 27K?

I didn't want to hijack the thread for the Vegas towing question so will ask my question here.

We are trying to piece together our aux braking system on our 2016 Hurricane 27K with a Ford F-53 chassis.

We need the brake controller adapter/wiring harness that connects the under-dash port to the brake controller. This also is called by some sellers a "Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controller."

We are getting no help from places like RV dealers, e-trailer.com and other sources. We think we need either a Tekonsha 3035-P or a 3034-P, based on my google searches. However we can't confirm.

Does anyone have information on this piece we are trying to find?

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Hi, When I installed the Tekonshia Primus IQ brake controller in our 2015 Windsport 27K I used a cable that was made for installing that controller in a F53 chassis. I ordered both the controller and cable at the same time from the same supplier. There were may different cables available for the various chassis.The hardest part of the installation was getting to the chassis connector witch I found taped to the right side of the steering column up under the dash. I think I got everything from Etrailer.com but I am not positive. Good luck.

John
Willard,OH
Old 08-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #2255
Try this link to Ford parts, the E trailer versions appear to already have a connector wired to the controller end, assume this why they are pointing you toward a specific type controller, the version from Ford should be only bare wires at the controller end with a wiring diagram supplied, match that diagram to any brand controller you buy. This type is often supplied with pickups, they are easy to install.

2016 Ford F53 Trailer Brake Control Harness | FordParts.com
Old 08-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
First, thanks John&Diane and cbscbs for your comments and suggestions.

We actually FOUND the adapter/harness we need, and it was with all the stuff that came with the RV!!

We had remembered we had a few odds and ends that we didn't use right away or didn't know what they were for. The more we thought about it, we figured maybe this illusive adapter could be one of those things.

We found the box we'd put those things in - inside the RV - and there it was! It has a plug-in connector on the one end that plugs into the connector that is tucked under the dash area. It has loose wires on the other end, but it is what we need.

Hubby is a retired electrician, so a bunch of loose, different colored wires sticking out doesn't even phase him. As of this morning, he has the wiriing about 90% finished and we are hopefully almost ready to use the aux brake system with our little toad!

Thanks again for the responses!

Eileen in AZ