Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Brake on toad invisible or

Will be installing the road master falcon tow bar. Was leaning toward the invisible brake. My installer said the large road master brake is better. Not sure if it’s that it’s easier for him. Also deciding between the falcon and falcon 2. Is it worth the extra 200 to go with falcon. Thanks

Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
We use the Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain towbar with a Demco Stay-in-play DUO braking system.
Works ok and fits our needs.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:59 AM   #3

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I’ve had the Invisibrake installed on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for about a year and a half, with about 12,000 miles so far, including crossing the Rocky Mountains. It has performed well and given me no problems. I’m happy with my decision to buy the Invisibrake. I had it installed by a local hitch shop.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:00 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Thanks
Old 09-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
We have a Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain tow-bar with the Invisibrake system on our Jeep Grand Cherokee (~5,000 #). Had this set up for over 2 years and > 10,000 miles towing behind our ACE 29.2. Works well and have had no operational issues.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
We've got the Falcon II and Invisibrake system on our Jeep Liberty. After several thousand miles there have been no issues and we're very happy. Like TxTig we had ours installed by a hitch shop. No problems and it was the brake system they recommended.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Falcon All Terrain and Invisibrake on my Jeep Wrangler - over 7500 miles so far and no issues... (plus the other important thing to me - TPMS for the toad (and MH).... would never know if something went wrong on a toad tire...)

For the towbar - the all terrain offers the ability to hook/unhook without everything being 'nicely' aligned. Has helped a few times. Look at the feature differences and see what matters to you.

Not sure what the 'large roadmaster brake' is...
They do make the 'BrakeMaster' which is a truly proportional braking system - but something has to be installed/removed each time - and it taps into your RV's brakes - hydraulic or air.

The 'Invisibrake' is nothing to do except connect the umbilical and safety/breakaway cable. It does tap into your vehicles power brakes vacuum - it supplies the vacuum to continue to use power brakes versus 'dead pedal'. It applies brakes for up to 15 seconds for each depression of brake pedal (stops braking immediately if you release the pedal).

Both brake the toad ONLY when you brake the RV (ie - engine braking/downshifting will not cause braking on the toad.

Personal preference.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We tow a Miata, our second, and both used the same mounted brake system similar to the Invisibrake. (50K+ miles so far!) Your preference might depend on how and how much you plan to travel.

When we are traveling, we usually set up the RV and then take the car to explore and find a restaurant. That means countless unhooking and reconnecting. So easy to just plug in the brake controller, as opposed to re-positioning a Brake Buddy type unit.

Conversely, if you stay in one place for longer and aren't taking the toad off and on, the Brake Buddy type unit might be just fine. It has the advantage of being easily portable to a different car.