Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 29G
State: New Mexico
THOR #9284
Anyone Have Problems with Blue Ox Patriot II Braking System?

I recently had my tow set up complete, towing a 4800lb Chev Traverse (heavy) with a Thor Chateau 29G. Using the Blue Ox Patriot II and discovered brakes on Traverse overheated on first use towing it home from installer. Obviously Patriot was applying brakes when it shouldn't and I think it may have been set up incorrectly by installer initially. Tried it again setting up Patriot myself and I dialed down the sensitivity and force to around 4 or 5 each and seemed to work fine. But I did notice the Patriot engaged the Traverse brakes on it's own once or twice while driving around town and I wasn't using the MH brakes. I'm concerned and don't want to burn up my toad brakes. Anyone else have these issues or suggestions???

Old 04-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
None of that should be happening. Sounds like your installer is incompetent, that shouldn't happen. Educate yourself by reading the manual, and double check everything that installer did! My suggestion is take that rig right back to the installer, but only if you think they won't screw it up worse than they already did!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

THOR #9284
Thanks Mr. Sunshine! Yes, I do believe they screwed it up the first time when they "showed" me how to set it up (I think they had the seat pressed too hard against the Patriot). I have researched the instructions ad-nauseum and searched every possible thread and video. I installed it correctly the 2nd time but am still concerned that the brake engaged a couple times on it's own (it did release right away) but seemed to work fine otherwise. I called Blue Ox and they told me to take the 2 feet off the bottom of the unit as they've found they sometimes get "caught" and can engage the brake. Not sure that's what really happened or somehow it just sensed that I was braking.

Most people seem to be very happy with the Patriot so hopefully some more of those owners can chime in with opinions. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Just forget the installer, they exposed their ignorance already. However, don't hesitate to call the Blue Ox folks again. They are great. They will help you until you get it working perfecto!

We toured their nice little factory in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. They took my tow bars and overhauled them at no charge! Can't recommend them highly enough!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Obviously that should not be happening. Don't know who you used to install, but It is hopefully a shop that will stand behind their work. I would give them a chance to make it right. I am frankly not familiar with the braking system you have, I use a U.S. Gear system, that uses the cars own power braking system, proportionally. It should IMO never apply the toad brakes with no braking going on in the towing vehicle. Possibly an equipment failure, but as I say, I'm not familiar with your system, so it could also be a setup issue.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
We have the previous generation Blue Ox and if it is a little loose you will get that, if to tight against the seat the brakes will stay on. It's a very fine line.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #7

THOR #9284
Thanks scrubjaysnest... that could very well be the issue. I was aware of that and tried to make sure it wasn't too tight... there was a tiny bit of play. I'll try it again but snug it up a little closer. Hopefully that's the trick. Thanks!