Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #2960
Can you hook a base plate into a front hitch?

I can't find anything online about this, so I thought I would ask here. I'll be getting a Jeep Wrangler soon and was wondering if a base plate can be installed into a front hitch?

Old 02-19-2017, 01:55 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
Can you hook a base plate into a front hitch?

Not sure about that.. I have never heard of anything that would let the jeep pivot that inserts into a hitch at the front. I bought this bumper from these guys and it works great. They sell multiple base plate clips that bolt to some of their bumpers. Not all of their bumpers accept the baseplate clips. I decided on this way instead of spending almost the same money on a baseplate and having to cut into the frame. This way I got a solid connection point and a bumper upgrade.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-4010.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3386.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	4006
Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger716 View Post
I can't find anything online about this, so I thought I would ask here. I'll be getting a Jeep Wrangler soon and was wondering if a base plate can be installed into a front hitch?

My 2 cents ....

If you are talking about a standard 2" receiver hitch at center of Jeep, from an engineering perspective, I personally wouldn't even attempt it.

It would be easy enough to fabricate a large bracket that would allow you to connect the tow bar to the Jeep's front receiver, but the stresses on receiver would be so high I would never trust it. Safety is too important -- it's not worth it.

I don't know if anyone makes such an item, but if they did I'd personally pass on it.

A tow bar is attached at two points a significant distance apart so it can transmit a lot of lateral force to turn the vehicle side to side. A common front receiver, while rigid in that direction, isn't designed to take that kind of load.