Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
RTG

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #760
dingy

my daily ride is needing more repairs then the car is worth so time to replace it with something our 2014 windsport 27k can tow 4 down. we are leaning towards a jeep but not sure which to get . i need 6 cylinder to carry 3 adults and 1 siberian husky in a crate . we will not be off roading but definitely want a 4 down tow car. any suggestions ? we're thinking of a gently used low miles .

thanks in advance

Old 04-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Virginia
THOR #6664
Hi RTG,

I tow a Wrangler Unlimted. Don't even know it's there. Great for getting around once you reach your destination. I had SMI's stay n play brake system installed. Expensive up front, but so easy! Good luck!

Jim
Old 04-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited are great vehicles to tow, super easy to set up. I towed an Unlimited five years and never knew it was there!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
We are on Jeep number 6, tows great and after 45 years we still enjoy mild off road adventures.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you weren't leaning towards a Jeep I'd suggest a C-Max Hybrid.

4-down towable and should have enough room for your Husky (the Energi wouldn't).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I tow a 2 door Wrangler (2010 Islander).. Invisibrake and Roadmaster towbar. Notice it on acceleration and hills - never on stopping.. Tows great.

For 3 adults and Husky - you'll want a larger version (4 door) - they tow great as well - several friends using that. Will be closer to 5000 lbs (my 2 dr is 3500) - and be sure your combined gross weight is ok on the Windsport.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
We are new motorhome owners and are also looking for a flat-towable SUV. We have narrowed it down to the Chevy Equinox. The 2WD is flat-towable. Just have to pull a fuse. We currently own a 2015 Honda CRV and, don't you know, 2015 was the year they made them NOT flat-towable.

I do have one question. The exhaust break on the Thor Palazzo - does it do anything to the toads breaking? We have never owned a motorhome. The exhaust breaks on our dually didn't affect the trailer brakes, but I don't know how the Palazzo works.

Also - We haven't decided on which kind of braking system. The Ready Brake is a surge brake. Will it engage on a long, down-hill grade? I would hate to get to the bottom of a mountain and find the brakes on my toad burned up.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmyoung61 View Post

I do have one question. The exhaust break on the Thor Palazzo - does it do anything to the toads breaking? We have never owned a motorhome. The exhaust breaks on our dually didn't affect the trailer brakes, but I don't know how the Palazzo works.

Also - We haven't decided on which kind of braking system. The Ready Brake is a surge brake. Will it engage on a long, down-hill grade? I would hate to get to the bottom of a mountain and find the brakes on my toad burned up.

Thanks!
That's why I didn't go with a surge brake... or one that tries to sense deceleration... it would engage the toad brakes with engine braking... or potentially on a long downhill. I wanted the toad to brake when I pressed the brakes - and only then... (except a breakaway of course - then it can stop as quick as it wants...)

The Invisibrake (and others) engage when the brake pedal is depressed... Not affected by engine braking, coasting, etc.

Even then - the Invisibrake only engages for 15 seconds (until brake pedal is released and depressed again) - so no chance of burning up toad brakes even if I do something silly for the MH brakes...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #9

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
it's really easy towing a CRV, 4 down, blue ox tow bar and brake buddy stealth. Don't know if your dog crate will fit in the back?? My mobility scooter fits in there.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #11

State: Maryland
THOR #7316
I just set my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited w/ Blue Ox Base Plate / Tow Bars and RoadMaster's Invisibrake. 100% self-installation, takes a bit of time, but well worth the satisfaction of knowing it's done right and well.

I also used Hopkins plug-and-play trailer harness to keep from cutting into and splicing into factory wire, that if not done correctly could cause problems down the road. The only splice I had to make was an in-line splice to the brake switch indicator (12V) line indicating the brake has been depressed.

I didn't use the Invisibrake patch cable though, I tied the road master LED indicator light and buzzer into the 7-blade harness that came from the factory on the E450. Found the harness right behind the coin holder, just where one of these forums said it would be. On the Jeep side I used a six-pin round and wired the Jeep's brake switch indicator 12V signal on the Auxiliary output (Center Pin).