Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Exclamation Does anyone tow a small trailer behind your camper?

I’m thinking about putting a receiver hitch on the back of my 19ft Crossroads travel trailer so that I can tow my small 8x10 ATV trailer behind it with two atv’s on it. Bad idea? I’ve seen some people who have done it and posted pictures online…..it doesn’t really look all that difficult as long as you weld in enough square tubing for bracing in order to connect the hitch to the main frame, not just the bumper. After looking at the bumper on the back of the trailer, I’d be afraid to even hang a bike rack off of it…let along try to pull a trailer.

Has anyone else welded in some square tubing supports to the main frame in order to make their travel trailer capable of towing a small trailer?

Any info would be great!

Old 07-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Not all states allow triple tows - Florida does not. See below site for towing laws in all states.

Towing World Official Website
Old 07-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In many states the only way you can pull a 2nd trailer is if the 1st trailer is a 5th wheel.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I would not put a hitch on that trailer asking for trouble. Some trailers are built with a stronger frame in the back and come with a hitch
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:27 AM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I’m thinking about putting a receiver hitch on the back of my 19ft Crossroads travel trailer so that I can tow my small 8x10 ATV trailer behind it with two atv’s on it. Bad idea? I’ve seen some people who have done it and posted pictures online…..it doesn’t really look all that difficult as long as you weld in enough square tubing for bracing in order to connect the hitch to the main frame, not just the bumper. After looking at the bumper on the back of the trailer, I’d be afraid to even hang a bike rack off of it…let along try to pull a trailer.

Has anyone else welded in some square tubing supports to the main frame in order to make their travel trailer capable of towing a small trailer?

Any info would be great!
Yes, its a bad idea for so many reasons. The 8x10 trailer behind the travel trailer itself is a bad idea. The addition of heavy ATVs stands a good chance of pulling the rear out of the 19 foot trailer designed to be towed not to tow. If you decide to try this, please make sure you post a video of the first attempt to climb a steep grade. (or for the matter descend a steep grade). With no brakes on the heavy ATV trailer (unless you have figured a way to brake it), You are apt to see the ATV trailer pass you towing the travel trailer backwards.

My personal opinion is that this fits in the "Hey guys, watch this!!" - category