Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2018, 12:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
This Doesn't Seem Right?

Hi,
I bought a tow bar from a Gentleman on this forum and when I hooked it all up I saw this and it doesn't seem right (in attached pics).

I referenced the eTrailer web site and the tow bar is indeed 'bent' (last two pics): https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Blue-Ox/BX4330.html

Everything I read said the ball and the vehicle mount points should be even (level). They are both 21.5" from the ground however, look at the severe bend in tow bar near the receiver. I'll need a 4-6 inch inverted drop receiver to compensate for the 'bend' and make the ball receiver level. That'll put the ball way too high and create significant leverage/stress points in hard brake scenario.

Am I thinking about this the right way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181123_135447[1].jpg
Views:	452
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	14266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181123_135431[1].jpg
Views:	435
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	14267  

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	14268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	14270  

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	14271  

Old 11-24-2018, 12:31 AM   #2

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
No, but
Old 11-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #3

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder View Post
No, but
No - I'm not thinking about it the right way?
Old 11-24-2018, 12:44 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I’ve Never seen anything like that.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
What does the seller say?

i.e. Is he saying it has always been like that and it is normal, it is the way it was when he received, or that if bent it was done after the sale?

I assume no warranty, so I hopes this works out.

I have use etrailer quite a bit, they are a top notch bunch and you can call them directly and they will tell you what you need to know. If there is receipt they sold it; they will honor. The trailer valet they sale is the best product ever for moving a tandem axle boat to put on any spot you want.

Good luck.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:53 AM   #6

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What does the seller say?

i.e. Is he saying it has always been like that and it is normal, it is the way it was when he received, or that if bent it was done after the sale?
I can't approach the seller that way. They are sold this way (see last 2 pics in OP). I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with it. I can buy a 5" drop receiver. Question is, should I?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:06 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvEd View Post
I can't approach the seller that way. They are sold this way (see last 2 pics in OP). I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with it. I can buy a 5" drop receiver. Question is, should I?

Gotcha... I would call etrailer direct during normal hours. They are very good and will have the answer, or work with manufacturer to get the best answer. They actually answer their phone, but are just as reliable with emails. I suspect the email with the pictures will be the most helpful.

On a side note, one of the reasons I like the Thor's is because of the 8,000 towing capacity. I have also measured the hitch height to be the exact same as 24 ft boat; so I can use same draw bar as my Navigator.

Now if I can just find a nice Thor 29.3 that is new; but none defective with good price; I can buy one and join the club
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #8

THOR #12189
I went back and found these references for anyone who might have the same questions. After rereading them, I'll incorporate a 4" rise and call it done.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/tow-bar-angle-and-height-difference-16631.html

The Physics of Towed-Vehicle Braking - iRV2 Forums

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/safe_zone.html
Old 11-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #9

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
I just looked at the Blue Ox web site and watched their vehicle mounted video. It seems on their toad mounted tow bar you want the section with the ball connection to be level with the ground and a down angle to the vehicle is ok. I think you're on the right track with an up offset receiver.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #10

THOR #10823
https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/products/

Shortcut to video
Old 11-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #11

THOR #10823
From the Blue Ox manual;

CAUTION: It is important that the tow bar coupler be parallel to the ground. The height from the center of the ball to the centerline of the attachment tabs should be approximately 7". If the tow bar coupler is at an angle, an accident or damage can occur. The use of a drop/rise receiver is recommended to ensure the coupler stays parallel to the ground.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #12

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
From the Blue Ox manual;
CAUTION: It is important that the tow bar coupler be parallel to the ground. The height from the center of the ball to the centerline of the attachment tabs should be approximately 7". If the tow bar coupler is at an angle, an accident or damage can occur. The use of a drop/rise receiver is recommended to ensure the coupler stays parallel to the ground.
Thank you for this and the prior.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #13

THOR #10823
You're very welcome. Safe Travels!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #14

State: West Virginia
THOR #10582
Ken

I don’t like this whole set up. I’ve towed all over this country. First off you need a tow bar that slides in the two inch receiver not this ball deal. Looks all wrong to me. If you notice if you have a tow bar that slides into the 2 inch receiver on your motor home according to your picture it looks like it’s level then. I’ve always used blue ox. If it isn’t level. You use an adapter that slides into the receiver that adjusts to the height. I’ve never saw a tow bar that hooks to a ball on the back of a motor home. I wouldn’t use it the way it’s hooked up.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #15

THOR #12189
Thanks. I won't. I bought a receiver with a 6.25" rise. The coupler is level per the snippet from Mustang. All looks like it should, according to the manual and the height between coupler and pins on the vehicle side is 7" as cited.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #16

State: West Virginia
THOR #10582
Ken

I don’t see any safety chains in your picture I hope you just didn’t put them on for the picture. I also didn’t see a breakaway switch on your tow vehicle and a light kit. Again I trust you have that. Some people will take a short cut and not have an auxiliary braking system like a break buddy but if the toad comes off and kills some one and you don’t have a braking system you will be charged for manslader. Some will tell you don’t need it but check most states and most are all below 3,000 lbs I’m sure your vehicle is over 4,000. Sorry not trying to get in your business but the picture you post is not safe.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #17

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Look Just Pay

IMHO the angle looks wrong.
I don't repair my own furnace because I'm NOT a furnace repair guy and I don't want to kill my family.

I don't do repairs on my own central air conditioning system or put a roof on my house because I am also NOT an AC repairman or a roofer.

Look your going to haul/tow an expensive piece of equipment with another expensive piece of equipment. Take the whole show down to the local "serious trailer dealer" and ask them to check it all out and PAY them to do it. You'll be glad you did.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #18

THOR #12189
I'm not trying to start and argument: the original pic is no longer the case.

No, the pics do not have everything in place. I was merely checking whether the receiver would be the correct height. It came off the truck. It was not correct and new one was purchased. The angle's correct now (read previous post from today).

The curb weight is the cat-scaled weight on the truck - full of fluids and 1/2 tank of gas: 3020lbs. 5spd manual, no power anything, A/C only. Yes, it has window cranks - basically stripped.

There's no chains but cables that came with the tow bar.

The break-away switch was not mounted yet but the cable's been run and I have the Patriot brake system for aux braking.

Tow lights are installed. I did an 'in-car' set up, incorporating the wires into the truck using black plastic conduit from to rear, neatly tucked along the frame and zip-tied where needed.

The only thing left to do is run a power wire from the coach to the towed so the brake system doesn't drain my battery - a project for another day.

Hope that clears things up. If I remember to take pics of it all together, I'll update this post at that time.

Safe travels.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #19

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
I wouldn't use it even if it was free. Sorry for your troubles.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #20

State: Ohio
THOR #12388
Bent Tow Bar

I never seen anything like this. Looking carefully at the pictures on the eTrailer site it certainly seems to be made with a bend. Sounds like the bend would be a weak point.
If the objective is to have the tow bar go straight from the RV to the TOAD why would you make a tow bar with a bend in it? That just doesn't make any sense to me.
They do emphasize that the hitch part that goes on the ball should be level with the ground. In your case that means adjusting the height of the ball with an adapter.
I just wish I could understand their thinking when the made the tow bar with a bend in it. Some smart engineering guy must have thought it was a good solution but I don't understand why.

Tags
receiver, receiver drop, receiver rise, toad, tow bar