Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2017, 05:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Question Toad lights question

I am preparing to tow my 2016 Kia Sorento behind my ACE 30.3 using a Master Tow dolly. My dealer told me I did not need the lights working on my toad, that the fender lights on the dolly were good enough. I'm not sure I am comfortable with this advice. Do any of you have experience with this? If so, advice? Thanks.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
When I used a tow dolly that's all I had. After you put your Kia on the dolly turn the lights on and stand back and look at it. If the lights are clearly visible you're good, if not you might want to think about magnetic lights stuck on the back of your vehicle. If need to resort to magnetic lights you can splice them in to the dolly wiring using a removable 4 pin trailer plug.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
I just use the dolly lights, my coach lights are high above the toad as well. I watch my rear camera a lot, and haven't seen anyone behind having a problem. About 7000 miles now towing no issues.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #4

THOR #8503
Thanks for the responses. I'll try a couple of trips that way and if all looks good, I'll relax and enjoy.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #6557
I use all the above, I think more is better. I think the magnetic lights, adapters were less than $25.00. Simple to install. The purpose is to be seen, not just legal.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #6

THOR #8503
I appreciate the responses and I have one more question, if I may. If I decide to use magnetic lights on the toad, my ACE 30.3 has a round 7 pin wiring connector. The Master Tow 80 THD dolly has a round connector also, but only four wires. If I disconnect the tow dolly from the wiring connector on the motor home and purchase a 7 pin round to 4 pin flat adapter and plug the magnetic lights directly into the motor home, will everything work OK? My understanding is that the wiring has no effect on the surge braking system, but, as a new guy at all this, I want to make sure I am not messing anything up.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #7

THOR #5196
I would splice a 4pin trailer connector into the trailer wiring for the magnetic lights and run them from that. With the flat trailer connector you have an easy connection that always there. Plus you're running dolly and mag lights at the same time for more visibility.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
New pickups have 4 way and 7 way harnesses. If you can modify your coach for both, you could have the dolly and mag lights hooked up simultaneously. I have made "Y" cables and adapters to accommodate need. Of course, you can always splice into the tow dolly wiring as already suggested.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #9

THOR #8503
Smile

schreinertms and SuperD, thanks for the suggestions. I will look at both options and figure out which I can make happen while trying to teach this old dog some new tricks. Of course some of my old Air Force compadres might look askance when I tell them I'm getting advice from a Marine. Semper Fi, SuperD.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #10

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
schreinertms and SuperD, thanks for the suggestions. I will look at both options and figure out which I can make happen while trying to teach this old dog some new tricks. Of course some of my old Air Force compadres might look askance when I tell them I'm getting advice from a Marine. Semper Fi, SuperD.
Hey, we all played for the same team, right? My stepfather retired as an AF full bird, 26 years, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam! Oldest stepbrother retired AF full bird 24 years. I never saluted either one of them, didn't want to stoop that low!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #11

THOR #8503
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Hey, we all played for the same team, right? My stepfather retired as an AF full bird, 26 years, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam! Oldest stepbrother retired AF full bird 24 years. I never saluted either one of them, didn't want to stoop that low!
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 08-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #12

THOR #8503
Quote:
Actually found an adapter suggested by my next door neighbor. It has male flat 4-pin on one end and double female on other end. Plugged the male end into the flat-to-round adapter to plug into motorhome, then plugged both tow dolly and magnetic toad lights into the two female connections, works great. Both tow dolly and toad lit with no wire splicing, rewiring, etc. Got it from Amazon for about $11.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 08-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #13

THOR #5196
Quote:
Actually found an adapter suggested by my next door neighbor. It has male flat 4-pin on one end and double female on other end. Plugged the male end into the flat-to-round adapter to plug into motorhome, then plugged both tow dolly and magnetic toad lights into the two female connections, works great. Both tow dolly and toad lit with no wire splicing, rewiring, etc. Got it from Amazon for about $11.
Didn't know they made such a thing but glad your neighbor did, sounds like a very easy solution!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #14

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Didn't know they made such a thing but glad your neighbor did, sounds like a very easy solution!
Here are pictures of the adapter.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704