Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2019, 11:36 PM   #1

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Flat Tow an Xterra?

Did a quick search and didn't find anything.

We're looking at an Xterra (manual transmission) as a toad. Anyone have any experience with them? Recommended tow bar/base plate/brake system?

Thanks in advance!
Mickey

Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I don't know if it would make a difference or not; but what model year Xterra?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 PM   #3

THOR #14508
Old 03-07-2019, 11:57 PM   #4

THOR #14508
Well, just bought a '13 Xterra (other one didn't work out). It's a manual transmission model, and according to Nissan, it can be flat towed.

Now it's time to source the tow bar, base plate, braking system and wiring harness. Any input as to specific products will be appreciated!
Old 03-08-2019, 04:08 AM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
THOR #10300
We use Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain (non-binding) Tow Bar and base-plate specific for our Jeep GC. Roadmaster now offers a tow bar that has LED side lights along the tow bar arms, and if I were buying new, I'd consider it for sure. We also have the permanently installed Roadmaster Invisibrake system with their brake light relay & diodes Kit. Works great -- no issues (plug and play).
Old 03-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #6

THOR #14508
Thanks, Joe. Our 29.3 has an InvisiBrake indicator light on the dash, so I assume one was installed previously. Have to do some digging to see what else is still there - might be a no-brainer to go with that one.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
THOR #10300
More than likely the indicator light, an audible annunciator and a patch cord running to the rear in the vicinity of the hitch are all that is there. Said light indicates when the Invisabrake is activated. The audible sounds when the system is activated beyond a set time period, and the patch cord attaches to your tow vehicle. All other components are in the toad.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #8

THOR #14508
Thanks, that's what I figured. If so, at least that part of the wiring is done!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I bought a blue ox base plate for my Focus and a blue ox Ascent tow bar. I looked at the Roadmaster Nighthawk (the one with the lights) but it was quite a bit more costly than many others. It includes the lighting wiring though where others don’t. I chose the Ascent over the cheaper and otherwise similar Alpha bar because it’s made of aluminum instead of steel as I will be removing it frequently and it weighs a good 10 pounds less. Might not be important to everyone but it is to me. Bought a returned specimen on amazon for a good price. I think I’ll purchase a Stay and play duo brake system with remote monitor as it is one of the few progressive systems available.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #10

THOR #14508
Ordered the Demco Commander bar and baseplate, and Roadmaster Invisibrake system and wiring kit. Should be good to go. Now all I gotta do is pay for it and install it!
Old 03-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #11

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Ordered the Demco Commander bar and baseplate, and Roadmaster Invisibrake system and wiring kit. Should be good to go. Now all I gotta do is pay for it and install it!

I heard THAT! I’m into this project for $2,000 and not done yet.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #12

THOR #14508
Have started installing the Invisibrake. Not terribly difficult, but definitely not for the faint of heart. While I'm no stranger to wrenching (completely restored 5 British sports cars and am building another now), this is a bit of a challenge. I found a spot for the controller and the air cylinder (both under the driver's seat - thankfully there's just enough room and clearance for them) and have them mounted. Also have the pulley, cable, and brake pedal attachment mounted. All the driver's side carpeting and some insulation had to come out and had to be cut for the pulley placement. I'm hoping that once it's all done it'll still look presentable.

The airlines and wiring have to be run and connected, and I need to find a good route for them through the firewall - not much to offer there. Then the breakaway switch. Hopefully, I'll get to that today or tomorrow, depending on what the wife has in store for me...
Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #13

THOR #6826
Quote:
Have started installing the Invisibrake. Not terribly difficult, but definitely not for the faint of heart. While I'm no stranger to wrenching (completely restored 5 British sports cars and am building another now), this is a bit of a challenge. I found a spot for the controller and the air cylinder (both under the driver's seat - thankfully there's just enough room and clearance for them) and have them mounted. Also have the pulley, cable, and brake pedal attachment mounted. All the driver's side carpeting and some insulation had to come out and had to be cut for the pulley placement. I'm hoping that once it's all done it'll still look presentable.

The airlines and wiring have to be run and connected, and I need to find a good route for them through the firewall - not much to offer there. Then the breakaway switch. Hopefully, I'll get to that today or tomorrow, depending on what the wife has in store for me...

Hey cool! What British cars have you restored? I’ve done a few old Triumphs (2 cars and a motorcycle) an MG and (not British but fun just the same) an original Datsun 240Z and an old BMW motorcycle. Great fun.

I just ordered my Stay N Play toad brake system this week and will be doing the baseplate, brake and wiring when the weather improves. It’s a fair size project with all three.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #14

THOR #14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Hey cool! What British cars have you restored? I’ve done a few old Triumphs (2 cars and a motorcycle) an MG and (not British but fun just the same) an original Datsun 240Z and an old BMW motorcycle. Great fun.

I just ordered my Stay N Play toad brake system this week and will be doing the baseplate, brake and wiring when the weather improves. It’s a fair size project with all three.

I've restored a TR3 (small mouth, '57), '73 MGB Roadster, '80 Triumph TR8, '69 MGB GT that I converted over to 3.4 V6 and five-speed, and am almost finished building an MG TF replica using all MGB running gear, including overdrive. Helped several other folks in the local club with theirs as well.

Not into motorcycles, but love the Z-cars!
Old 03-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #15

THOR #6826
Quote:
I've restored a TR3 (small mouth, '57), '73 MGB Roadster, '80 Triumph TR8, '69 MGB GT that I converted over to 3.4 V6 and five-speed, and am almost finished building an MG TF replica using all MGB running gear, including overdrive. Helped several other folks in the local club with theirs as well.

Not into motorcycles, but love the Z-cars!

I did a 1961 TR3A that I kept for years. And a 74 MGB. Both barn finds. I was looking for a TR6 when I came across the 240Z and did that instead. Ex wife got it and just trashed it. It was sweet tho. I’d like to do another car...

Working on the motorhome and now the toad is satisfying but not very challenging.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #16

THOR #14508
Update: Have the controller and air cylinder installed under the driver's seat and air lines and wiring run. The cable and pulley are run and attached to the brake pedal arm. Still waiting for the baseplate, which is on backorder from e-trailer. They also will be shipping the wiring kit, and I imagine they're holding that until they have the baseplate in stock. Sent an email yesterday inquiring about a shipping update. If I don't hear from them today, will give them a call.

I reinstalled the seat and carpet, leaving the door sill trim and kick panel off in case I need to address any issue with the wiring or air line I ran through there. Then took a drive to see if the cable/pulley attached to the brake pedal had any affect/intereference. Thankfully, no problem there, and aside from the hole in the carpet on the firewall where the pulley is attached, you really can't tell there's any modification.

I did notice a potential problem, though: When I started the car, the air bag warning light stayed on. Since I'd had to remove the seat, the two electrical connections under it had to be unplugged. One of them was difficult, and I was afraid I'd broken a wire; but when I inspected it, I couldn't see any problem. Went on the internet (sure glad what's-his-name invented it!), and found a simple fix involving switching the ignition on and off a few times to reset it. Success!

Planning a trip to New Orleans soon, which will be the maiden voyage. Fingers crossed that the rest of the stuff will show up and I get it all buttoned up in time. In the meantime, I'm really liking the Xterra. Think we're gonna be pleased with it as a toad.