Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #9698
Ford Escape as a toad

We have just bought a 2017 Thor Chateau 28z on a Ford F450 V10 and are wondering if we can flat tow a 2011 Ford Escape AWD.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
There is a towing guide HERE that will give you the information. Most AWD cars can not be towed unless you put in a device to disconnect the axle.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
This is only specific to our 2013 Ford Explorer AWD. We have towed it about 41k miles and follow the specific instructions found in the accompanying manual. The instructions are: warm the engine up while in Park, shift to Drive, then shift to Reverse, then to Neutral. Now turn the vehicle off leaving it in Neutral. No problems so far.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
According to your owners guide (Here (pdf)) the 2011 Ford Escape AWD can be flat towed with all 4 wheels on the ground (see page 204).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Don't forget the sign for the Escape's rear window:
"Hey! I'm pushing it as fast as I can!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:32 AM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
According to your owners guide (Here (pdf)) the 2011 Ford Escape AWD can be flat towed with all 4 wheels on the ground (see page 204).
I have seen many of your posts and have to believe you know your stuff, so I am asking this respectfully. I have a 2011 Ford Escape that is getting it’s 2nd transmission rebuilt this week. The first transmission blew up almost three years ago. At the time I didn’t know and the Ford dealership that I use didn’t know that the transmission fluid had to be “drawn down” to the add level on the stick before towing flat. Now the rebuilt transmission is being rebuilt under warranty. I meticulously followed all their requirements. So should I just consider that I don’t have a toad or is there is something else that I’m missing or maybe I should add a fluid pump. I know you’ve heard a lot of tales and value your opinion.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:41 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This "Escape Thread" is timely: we just brought home a 2020 Titanium model...
Will we tow it? We don't know yet, but it's nice to have options...
Old 02-04-2020, 01:44 AM   #8

THOR #3340
Toad Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
This "Escape Thread" is timely: we just brought home a 2020 Titanium model...
Will we tow it? We don't know yet, but it's nice to have options...
I sure thought I’d done all my homework and research and still got stung. Right now I think the only thing I’d feel confident toad-ing is a Jeep.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:51 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueasher1@netzero.net View Post
I have seen many of your posts and have to believe you know your stuff, so I am asking this respectfully. I have a 2011 Ford Escape that is getting it’s 2nd transmission rebuilt this week. The first transmission blew up almost three years ago. At the time I didn’t know and the Ford dealership that I use didn’t know that the transmission fluid had to be “drawn down” to the add level on the stick before towing flat. Now the rebuilt transmission is being rebuilt under warranty. I meticulously followed all their requirements. So should I just consider that I don’t have a toad or is there is something else that I’m missing or maybe I should add a fluid pump. I know you’ve heard a lot of tales and value your opinion.
Wow, yeah I'd be a bit gun shy on that one. Is your Escape AWD or FWD?

We've towed one of our Escape's on our dolly for a good 1500+ miles. (We have two now, both are FWD.)

Bob, same question for you is it FWD or AWD?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:19 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Per the 2011 dingy towing guide the 2011 Escape is 4 down towable. It stipulates 65 mph AND that a qualified Ford dealer checks trans fluid level. Now the dingy tow guide is dependable but not gospel. The gospel should be what the Ford Motor Company says and not just a service dept mgr or a tech.
I had a Jeep tech at the dealership tell me my 2019 Cherokee needed the aftermarket “death wobble harness” to flat tow. My Cherokee did not require the harness as Jeep did an upgrade on the 2019 model year that eliminated the need for death wobble harness.
My Point is the manufacturer should be the voice we listen to when deciding what we can and how we set up to flat tow.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #11

THOR #3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Per the 2011 dingy towing guide the 2011 Escape is 4 down towable. It stipulates 65 mph AND that a qualified Ford dealer checks trans fluid level. Now the dingy tow guide is dependable but not gospel. The gospel should be what the Ford Motor Company says and not just a service dept mgr or a tech.
I had a Jeep tech at the dealership tell me my 2019 Cherokee needed the aftermarket “death wobble harness” to flat tow. My Cherokee did not require the harness as Jeep did an upgrade on the 2019 model year that eliminated the need for death wobble harness.
My Point is the manufacturer should be the voice we listen to when deciding what we can and how we set up to flat tow.
I agree. Only problem is that even when following the Ford Motor Co. guidelines, the trans didn’t last 3 years. I was so thankful that the Ford Dealership paperwork could prove that they were responsible for checking the fluid. Funny, they never even questioned that a little old lady wouldn’t be driving faster than 65mph. (Set my cruise control at 63)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueasher1@netzero.net View Post
I sure thought I’d done all my homework and research and still got stung. Right now I think the only thing I’d feel confident toad-ing is a Jeep.
Don't feel bad. A few years ago a bunch of folks got caught flat footed when Subaru came out in the middle of a model year and said they no longer recommend any of their vehicles, regardless of transmission, be flat towed. They stated the only safe towing method is trailer or flat bed wrecker.

No sure about Good Sam but FMCA did a mid year towing guide update to include the change to Subaru.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #13

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #10201
2019 Escape

We bought our to specifically tow behind our vegas. It is FWD and we tow it on a dolly. No problems what so ever, its easy on and off the dolly. Takes about 15mins to hook up and hit the road. Good luck