Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2016, 03:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Trailer or dolly?

First timer here, come May I expect to head from Florida to Grand Tetons with a RAV4 behind a Hurricane 31K on the Ford chassis. With the RAV, four down towing isn't an option. Now I need to make a decision between trailer or dolly. I understand that a dolly will make reverse movement almost impossible. On the other hand, the trailer options I see will put me over the weight limit.
I am told the RV can handle 500 tongue and 5000 total tow. The RAV is 3500 and trailers run 1600 to 2000 lbs. Which option will be less risk? No reverse or overweight? Will appreciate some wise advise from a old hand at this.
Chuck in the CasaLoca

Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
Which option will be less risk? No reverse or overweight? Will appreciate some wise advise from a old hand at this.
Chuck in the CasaLoca
Choose 'no reverse' - hands down... Go with the dolly.

Going over the weight limit will overtax the engine, transmission, brakes, chassis, hitch receiver, and your liability in the event of an accident.

No reverse is a minor inconvenience - just needs some planning before you pull into that gas station, parking lot, etc to be sure you can get out moving forward. (Same with 4-down towing - no reverse there either...)

Does assume the RAV4 allows towing with just the front wheels raised... If not you need a different vehicle (for one of the two...)
Old 01-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
First timer here, come May I expect to head from Florida to Grand Tetons with a RAV4 behind a Hurricane 31K on the Ford chassis. With the RAV, four down towing isn't an option. Now I need to make a decision between trailer or dolly. I understand that a dolly will make reverse movement almost impossible. On the other hand, the trailer options I see will put me over the weight limit.
I am told the RV can handle 500 tongue and 5000 total tow. The RAV is 3500 and trailers run 1600 to 2000 lbs. Which option will be less risk? No reverse or overweight? Will appreciate some wise advise from a old hand at this.
Chuck in the CasaLoca
You do not mention if the RAV4 is 2WD or 4WD.

If you have the 4WD the decision may be made in that most 4WD RAV4s cannot be towed with any wheels on the ground. In this case it would require a trailer for towing. It does however depend on the year of the RAV4 and transmission. Check your owners manual.

If you have the 2WD then my recommendation is dolly for the say reason gmc mentions. Also, if you have levelling jacks you may need to disconnect the trailer before levelling whereas with a dolly unloading the car should be sufficient.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you have the $$ to burn you can get an aluminum car trailer; they only weigh in around 1k lbs.
Tandem Axle Utility Trailer | Aluminum Car Trailer | Aluma Trailers

I looked into them for a bit to pull our prior car; we opted for the dolly instead (much less weight and less cost).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Assuming your RAV4 is a 4WD vehicle, you might not be able to dolly tow it. Usually they must be flat towed (if possible) or trailer towed - as all 4 wheels must either turn or stay still. Dolly tow will turn the rear wheels but not the front ones.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Another option which you might consider is "neither". Of course, it all depends on how you use your RV. If you go and sit someplace for a week, then I can see towing a vehicle. In our 4 month, 15,000 mile trip this summer, there were only a few times that we really felt we needed a car. Those times, we rented one for a few days. In Alaska we rented a jeep for a couple of days to take some back roads that were impassable with our RV. When you look at the cost of the towed vehicle (wear and tear) , the dolly and maintenance, and the extra fuel cost and wear and tear in the RV, I figure I saved a whole lot of money, not to mention the wear and tear on me, by renting the few times I really needed it. I've trailered 20' power boats and second cars half way across country, and driving the RV without a tow is a lot more pleasant. The Axis is small enough and easy enough to unhook and hookup, that you can take it shopping or to dinner. Just something you might want to consider. When we examined replacing our Vegas, size was a determining factor.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
The deciding factor for me was space.

Most RVParks, State and National Campgrounds do not have anywhere to store a trailer. But, a small dolly, (like the ACME), can be stored under the rear overhang and backed over when you are in a really tight space.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
The deciding factor for me was space.

Most RVParks, State and National Campgrounds do not have anywhere to store a trailer. But, a small dolly, (like the ACME), can be stored under the rear overhang and backed over when you are in a really tight space.
There are even dolly's now that have fold up tongues that take even less storage space. EDIT: Although when the tongue is under the back of the motor home that doesn't make a difference but if you have to store in a drive, etc. at home then that might help.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
Thanks folks, it seems the dolly is the way to go. Points that I failed to make clear up front. The RAV4 is front wheel drive only. There will be extensive use made of it as my wife is a park ranger and we will be in the park for 5 to 6 months. Going to work, grocery, etc. is out of the question in the motorhome as the emphasis will on HOME.
Thanks again.
Chuck