Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Has anyone done a permanent breaking system for the towed vehicle

I don't want a system that I have to put in and out whenever I tow. I want a permanent system installed. I've heard it being done, but does anyone here have one of these? Some insight maybe? Who makes it, etc.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #1354
I have an Invisibrake that is permanent as I had the same thought about taking it in and out. I had it installed by Camping World in Denton TX. They did a horrible job of installing it but that is a whole different thread.

It finally was fixed and we love it. Just make sure that you have it installed by someone that knows what they are doing. The place I used obviously didn't.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
The advantage of a removable system is you can take it with you when you change toads.

You should look at the RVBrake2. It only takes a couple if minutes to set up.

Bruce in NOLA
Old 01-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

THOR #3195
Thank you Bruce, but I don't want to carry around another unit to put in and out. If I get another toad (which I won't, I'm over 70) I'll add it. I like the Invisibrake idea, but I need some more info. I have read about it now that I have a name. ToddWolff I like the idea, but....what about that cable that runs under your feet? Does it ever give you a problem when your driving around. Maybe I have it wrong about that cable but the pictures looked like it as I had to draw my own conclusion looking at them. I went so far as to get a price from my dealer, 1500 installed - an all day job. If I bought the carry along model, 1,400 - also from the dealer, I know I can get better prices, but I want someone that knows what they are doing if I have the permanent type installed, (850 on Amazon)
Old 01-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
what about that cable that runs under your feet? Does it ever give you a problem when your driving around.
I have it in a 2006 CRV and it lives under the drivers seat. They ran the cable by the door and then looped around to the brake. The cable is actually pretty long and I was told that it can't be shortened because of the ends on the cable. Your installer should be able to run it so that it won't be under your feet.

A couple of things that I wish my installer would have done is that they shortened the hose and electrical wire to the point where the unit couldn't be pulled out to work on it. If there is a problem it makes it much easier to diagnose if you can pull it out and watch it, unfortunately I can't so it is a hassle. Mine isn't screwed to the floor, it just sits under the seat. However, the tech that finally fixed the installation removed the celluloid from the unit and screwed it to the seat.

Good Luck!
1 80lb Box puppy, 1 9lb Weenie Dog
Full Timing | Road Schooling | Loving Life | Praising God
ToddWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
The advantage of a removable system is you can take it with you when you change toads.

You should look at the RVBrake2. It only takes a couple if minutes to set up.

Bruce in NOLA
Bruce, so I did check this out as well. In one of the reviews it said the toads battery ran out in 4 hours dead. Could not one add a line from our MH for charging or for power even? I believe I have a line already for that in the connector. Also, this unit doesn't seem to use the existing brake assist. So is this brake unit pushing against a non-assist unit? What would that do over time? To me that is like driving your car wihtout the engine running and trying to use the brakes, don't work very well that way?
Old 01-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #7

THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddWolff View Post
I have it in a 2006 CRV and it lives under the drivers seat. They ran the cable by the door and then looped around to the brake. The cable is actually pretty long and I was told that it can't be shortened because of the ends on the cable. Your installer should be able to run it so that it won't be under your feet.

A couple of things that I wish my installer would have done is that they shortened the hose and electrical wire to the point where the unit couldn't be pulled out to work on it. Good Luck!
Thank you sir, that is all great info. I'll keep an eye on install if I go this route, which so far I am.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #8

THOR #3195
Smile RViBrake2 system

Well, I've been reading all morning on the two different systems. Talked to Invisibrake tech guy (on a Saturday even), and I would have to get a bit more than just the unit itself, adds would be brake light switch, diodes, battery shut off and maintainer, seperate hook up system because battery has to be disconnected for towing as per car manual, it just kept going on and on. So....I did a lot more reading on the new RViBrake2 and found out it does not need to be hooked up to the exisiting brake assist, I like the way it works against the rise in the floor pan instead of against the seat, it is light, and takes only (they say) 30 seconds to set up, me probably two to five minutes, I check and recheck. I like it. So, Bruce, thank you for suggesting this unit - I ordered it!
Old 01-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Here's a new option that has worked well for us. I installed a US Gear, Unified Tow Brake when we bought our last coach, several years ago. It was also a gas Class A. We tow a Miata, so there is zero room under the seat for the actuator, so I mounted it under the glove compartment on the passenger side.

It uses a pump under the hood to charge the brake vacuum line, and draws power from the coach. I unplug when we stop overnight, and it has never run down the car battery.

It could be removed and mounted in a different car, but we don't plan to make any changes. I installed the coach part on the last coach, but when we bought our Vegas I had the dealer switch the coach part, mainly due to time limitations.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #10

THOR #3195
Hmmmm, so I cancelled the Invisibrake I ordered, so much to this all, I need more time for a worthy decision. I just read about the US Gear, more to read yet.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I have the Invisibrake permanently installed in 2010 Jeep Wrangler... Installed by CW in Belleville, MI - and it works great... (and they did a great job... no issues at all) They did the job in a day - I dropped off the Jeep the evening before - drove down after lunch with the RV (needs monitor wire run to dash) - and towed the Jeep home that evening after they walked me through everything (same visit had the base plates installed on Jeep and towbar set up.)

The Invisibrake is wired directly to the battery... and feeds the 12v charging wire from the RV harness. OEM Jeep wiring harness runs the brake lights from RV. The battery is disconnected from the rest of the vehicle while towing. (Because I chose to disconnect the battery - I did need the extra brake switch... CW claimed I could just leave the Jeep battery connected - but I preferred to follow Jeep's recommendation.)

No issue with anything being in the way when driving the Jeep normally... would never know its there. The unit is under the seat. The only thing visible from the outside is the small 'break away' activator - connects via cable to RV while towing (along with 'monitor' light wire).

I liked not having to move things around and set up each time.. and one less thing to store at home and on the road... that it uses the Jeep's power brakes vs the dead pedal... that it ONLY brakes when I use the RV brakes (didn't want a sensor engaging the the toad brakes if I (or cruise) was using engine braking to slow us down) - and only brakes for 15 seconds (unless I release the pedal and brake again).
While I certainly notice the 3000+ pound addition on acceleration and hills - I have never noticed it at all on braking.

More work if I change vehicles certainly.. but I expect there is a lot of life left in the Jeep... I'd have to decide whether to try to move - or just replace... Guessing I would replace at that point.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:29 AM   #12

THOR #3195
Thanks gmc, I have a 2011 wrangler I'm using. Only has 24,000 miles at this point. I don't plan on another vehicle. Thanks for the positive feed back. I think now it's back between the Invisibrake or the US Gear, I need to go talk to an installer and see what he says now.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:51 AM   #13

Model: 2015 Hurricane 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #2130
I had an independent Truck And Trailer company install our SMI Stay-In-Play Duo braking system with a Blue Ox tow bar for Jeep Wrangler. They were almost half the cost of the dealer. The control box (to activate on/off) is in the drivers side foot well mounted near the floor of the Jeep. So far we had no issues. We dropped off the Jeep late in the day, the Jeep was ready by noon the next day. I just had to bring the MH so they could ensure everything worked. No adjustment, no issues with 4 Jeep toad trips so far.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy
Blue Ox Tow Bar and attachment Plate/SMI Brake System
Taking Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:47 AM   #14

THOR #3195
I just read several links on the invisibrake system, what horror stories I read on the system, I'm a guy that probably would not have any problem if I installed it, but just reading all that - I'm OUT no Invisibrake for me.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:34 AM   #15

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
I bought a '91 that I am planning on setting up to be towed.

Did you use a Blue Ox or a Roadmaster base plate?

Bruce in NOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
...We tow a Miata,...
Old 01-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #16

THOR #3195
Not sure whom you are asking, but I used a 4" drop receiver, Blue Ox, a Blue Ox Alpha MH mounted tow bar and a Blue Ox Baseplate.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I also have the RViBrake2. Overall it is a good unit, but it has one serious flaw (which cost me $1,000 in vehicle repairs).

The cylinder adjustment is on a ratcheting system. If you end up depressing the brake manually with it connected (say you start your car at a rest stop, etc. to recharge the battery), you can cause the brakes to lock up.

That is what I did - and ended up dragging the brakes for 80 miles and put $1,000 damage on the tow vehicle.

If you have to start the vehicle, you must remove - then re-install the brake system.

To be fair, there is a warning in the instructions about not doing this and the proper procedure, and I failed to heed this advice.

However, when I did it, it was raining, we were in a rush, I was in a lot of pain from tendinitis, and of course, that is when bad things happen. Not really making an excuse as much as revealing that things can happen to cause you to lose track of what you are doing.

My thoughts are that by simply redesigning the system to add a cylinder lock to prevent the cylinder from self-adjusting, they would prevent this occurance. So while the unit overall is good, it could be better. So I'll just present this as a caveat that you should have a checklist or something to remind yourself, which is what I did after the damage to the vehicle.

The reason I call this a flaw is a simple modification would prevent such occurance. All that would be needed is a thumbscrew to tighten the cylinder on the rack so it could not re-adjust itself from slight movement of the brake pedal.

RViBrake also makes a towed vehicle battery charger that uses 12V from the trailer light connector (i.e. motorhome) to trickle charge the battery while driving. You can also connect a solar charger, but you might need a fairly big one to keep up with the drain on the battery.

Having said that, I have towed the vehicle for up to 5 hours (without using the toad charger) and not significantly draining the toad battery. Most of this was highway driving, which means the brakes were not used a lot, so the type of terrain will certainly impact how long the towed vehicle battery remains charged.

So my advice is to make up a checklist of everything you need to do when setting up, what things to double check, and so on. That is what I finally did. I had it laminated at the local office supply store for a buck or two, and it stays in the towing bag with everything else (safety cables, towing pins, etc).
Old 01-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #18

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I bought a '91 that I am planning on setting up to be towed.

Did you use a Blue Ox or a Roadmaster base plate?

Bruce in NOLA
Blue Ox on ours. Didn't care for the Roadmaster setup, and don't mind the visible brackets. Not planning to enter the car in any shows.

You do know you can't tow an automatic Miata, right? Mazda says you can't tow, but there are plenty of folks with manual Miatas on the web doing just that. Once past the warranty, who cares what the manufacturer says?

Just started a new thread with a pic.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
I also, have the SMI Stay-in-Play and have it on my second Wrangler. It works great and I have had no problems with it in 6+ years!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #20

THOR #3195
OK, another new one to me how about the SMI Stay-in-Play Everything so far I have read is pretty much all good. No horror stories, yet. Are there any that anyone knows of? Bad stories that is.