Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Tow dolly Electric or surge brakes

Looking to get a new tow dolly to tow are ford focus. What is better electric or surge brakes?

Old 09-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
What year Focus and what transmission--you may be able to tow it 4-down.

As far as surge vs electric brakes: They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

With electric brakes you can manually engage them but the controllers available sometimes can be a disadvantage (if you get a quality modern controller that isn't a problem).

Surge brakes you hitch up and don't really think about they just work (and contrary to popular belief they are proportional). Can't really back up but then you can't back up when you're pulling a toad on dolly (or 4-down) anyway.

I went with a EZE tow with surge brakes (even though I had already equipped the coach with a controller for electric brakes). We've pulled 4 different cars with our dolly around 6,000 miles now without any problems (Escape, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric, and Chevy Bolt--all FWD; granted the Bolt and the Focus Electric were only test tows less than 10 miles each--the C-Max and Focus have done the bulk of the toad miles).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #3

THOR #8069
2017 Ford Focus Titanium auto trans. The book in the car says DO NOT TOW 4 WHEELS DOWN. And after what happened to or Fiesta a few weeks ago, I m doing the tow dolly instead of the 4 down. Guess you could say I wasted 3700 on the 4 down hook up. Thinking of selling the hook up for dolly cost.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:19 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
2017 Ford Focus Titanium auto trans. The book in the car says DO NOT TOW 4 WHEELS DOWN. And after what happened to or Fiesta a few weeks ago, I m doing the tow dolly instead of the 4 down. Guess you could say I wasted 3700 on the 4 down hook up. Thinking of selling the hook up for dolly cost.
Oh that was you ! ok. Yeah go with a dolly. LOL

So you have a Focus Titanium which means you have push-button start and your steering wheel doesn't lock. Thus I would avoid any dolly with a turn table (because the front wheels need to be locked for those)--I believe the Master Tow Dolly has a turn table (yeah it does).

Our EZE-Tow doesn't have a turn table (you used to be able to order them with electric brakes but that option doesn't appear on the website anymore--surge only at this point).
Here is our C-Max and Escape on the dolly:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-08 15.07.36.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	12561

Name:	DSC_0504.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	12562
Even better here is our old Focus Electric on the dolly (better for your comparison):

Name:	axistowffe3.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	12563
Old 09-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #5

THOR #8069
Thanks for the pics, going to order one with the surge bracks on Tuesday. Have you ever had any problems with the back of the car bottoming out on speed bumps?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:27 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Thanks for the pics, going to order one with the surge bracks on Tuesday. Have you ever had any problems with the back of the car bottoming out on speed bumps?
I don't think so; not sure I would notice with it way back there or not.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Illinois
THOR #10965
My Hyundai Elantra sits pretty low on the trailer (EZE Tow) and even after hitting some pretty significant dips in the road, no scrapes on the back.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I tow our KIA on a Roadmaster dolly with elect. brakes. I think the brake choice is more a personel matter. I went the elect way to take alittle of the weight off the dolly for moving it around when unhooking.

As for the steering wheel thing. There was another thread about it, I have never tied the steering wheel. The Roadmaster manual says I should for the reason of the car not hitting the dolly fenders on a tight turn. Guess I am just lucky
Old 09-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Maryland
THOR #6327
We tow a 2017 Hyundai Tucson with EZE Tow Dolly with surge brakes. No issues and pulls beautifully. Just make sure to retension the wheel straps after several miles after loading the vehicle.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:24 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #7745
I have one for sale w surge brakes I'm in Alabama. I've had it 6 months it's a tow master 80. We just bought a jeep yesterday so we won't need the dolly I'll take $1600 for it if ur interested
Old 10-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
THOR #11124
Where in Alabama

I might be interested in your dolly. Do you still have it? I am in Huntsville. Thanks, Leila
Old 10-09-2018, 12:42 AM   #12

THOR #7745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
I might be interested in your dolly. Do you still have it? I am in Huntsville. Thanks, Leila
Yes I do I haven't posted it yet pm me a email or cell I can send u photos tomorrow
Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #13

THOR #7745
Mobile btw
Old 10-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #14

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Oh that was you ! ok. Yeah go with a dolly. LOL

So you have a Focus Titanium which means you have push-button start and your steering wheel doesn't lock. Thus I would avoid any dolly with a turn table (because the front wheels need to be locked for those)--I believe the Master Tow Dolly has a turn table (yeah it does).

Our EZE-Tow doesn't have a turn table (you used to be able to order them with electric brakes but that option doesn't appear on the website anymore--surge only at this point).
Here is our C-Max and Escape on the dolly:
Attachment 12561
Attachment 12562
Even better here is our old Focus Electric on the dolly (better for your comparison):
Attachment 12563

Hi Jamie! here is our tow rigging.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Windy and Stormy and Tow Dolly.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	13465   Click image for larger version

Name:	OASIS 009.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	13466  

Name:	OASIS 005.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	13467  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Hi Jamie! here is our tow rigging.
Nice!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #16

THOR #8069
We ended up getting a Master Tow and loving it. Now we can take any one of our three cars depending on where we are going.It takes 5min longer to load and unload but we are retired and have plenty of time. Newer cars do not have lockable steering wheels, so you just have to wrap the seat belt through the streering wheel to keep the wheels from turning.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
We ended up getting a Master Tow and loving it. Now we can take any one of our three cars depending on where we are going.It takes 5min longer to load and unload but we are retired and have plenty of time. Newer cars do not have lockable steering wheels, so you just have to wrap the seat belt through the streering wheel to keep the wheels from turning.
We have the EZE-Tow with the surge brakes and don't have to seat belt the steering wheel!!! Just put the ignition key in the "on" position and you are good to go!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #18

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
We have the Master Tow with surge brakes and haul a 2017 Nissan Versa Note. Steering locks on ours.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:34 AM   #19

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
We have the EZ TOW, and haven't had any real problems. We tow a 2008 Chevrolet 2Uplander with no problems. We also towed a 2005 Equinox. The only thing I want to change is to get the hooks like are used on car carriers to tie down new cars. Using a frame hook would be easier than trying to wrap the chain around the frame.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #20

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
We have the EZ TOW, and haven't had any real problems. We tow a 2008 Chevrolet 2Uplander with no problems. We also towed a 2005 Equinox. The only thing I want to change is to get the hooks like are used on car carriers to tie down new cars. Using a frame hook would be easier than trying to wrap the chain around the frame.
We have a EZ Tow as well, and pull a 15 Ford Edge, which just fits the EZ Tow with 2" to spare on each side. My problem was the underside is completely covered with skirting/shields, and the A Arms are solid . I ordered 3' 10,000lb tie down straps , and run those through the wheel and hook the safety chains to them . IMO it provides as much or more Security as hooked through the frame, or A arm.
Will add pics when I hook up tomorrow.
Here are the straps I use. I set the safety chains to the proper length, and zip tied them in place with nearly 1/4" wide ties. I just drape the chain over the dolly frame run the straps, hook the chain's to the D Rings on the straps. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181022-030346.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	13593