Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Tow Dolly Opinions

We just moved from a truck and travel trailer to a Four Winds 24F with Chevy Chassis with Vortec 6.0L engine. Considering the tow dollies out there I would like to hear your opinions of the models you have used. Let me know what you use and what you like and dislike. I have looked at ACME EZE-Tow, Master, Stehltow, and Demco. We will be towing a Honda HR-V...small and light.

Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Use a Master Tow. Good solid unit pulling a Nissan Versa. Has surge brakes. Hardly know it’s back there.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've only used the EZE-Tow so I can't really offer any comparisons.

We've had the EZE-Tow for 3 seasons now, pulled two different cars (Escape and C-Max Energi) for about 6000+ miles now. I find it pretty easy to load and unload. The most unpleasant thing about it is crawling underneath to connect the safety chains to the car (on a cold rainy day...been there got wet). Even that really isn't that bad--still easier to do that than hitch up a TT or 5er. Once on the road you hardly notice the vehicle back there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #4

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno1950 View Post
Use a Master Tow. Good solid unit pulling a Nissan Versa. Has surge brakes. Hardly know it’s back there.
It seems the MasterTow is about as simple a dolly as is available. I would assume this makes for an easy load and unload?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
It seems the MasterTow is about as simple a dolly as is available. I would assume this makes for an easy load and unload?

Yep but like Jamigeek says you still have to get on the floor to finish the hook up. As I get older I find it gets harder to do. I can see myself going to 4 down in the next few years.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #6

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I've only used the EZE-Tow so I can't really offer any comparisons.

We've had the EZE-Tow for 3 seasons now, pulled two different cars (Escape and C-Max Energi) for about 6000+ miles now. I find it pretty easy to load and unload. The most unpleasant thing about it is crawling underneath to connect the safety chains to the car (on a cold rainy day...been there got wet). Even that really isn't that bad--still easier to do that than hitch up a TT or 5er. Once on the road you hardly notice the vehicle back there.
I do like the EZE-Tow model. Looks well made. How would you rate the ease of loading and unloading?
Old 04-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
I do like the EZE-Tow model. Looks well made. How would you rate the ease of loading and unloading?
Most dolly's will be the same here: drive up, e-brake on, put straps on, put safeties on, stow ramps (if applicable), unlock steering (if applicable), e-brake off, drive RV away. As such I don't think the EZE-Tow is any more difficult or easier than any other dolly...its just the nature of a dolly.

The EZE-Tow model is a little lighter that some of the other dollies (doesn't have the additional weight of a turn table which also means the steering must be unlocked), the car rests on the two frame rails as there really is no platform either.

As with most things: You can do as much research as you want with dollies; eventually you'll either pick one or be drowning in information. I picked the EZE-Tow (mostly because of weight since we have a smaller coach and an older one with the 5k lb hitch).
Old 04-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #8

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I think the market and service history has determined that there are not really many bad choices once you narrow it to the popular brands.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:10 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We have a Master Tow with surge brakes and it is pretty simple and straightforward. It does have the pivot pan so no need to unlock steering.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
We owned a Master Tow dolly for 2+ years and those that describe its simplicity are spot on. The only downside of using a dolly regardless of brand is loading the toad after a rain storm. Truly entertainment for everyone in the RV Park.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:32 AM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Towed for years, and ruled out using a dolly. Towing a toad 4-down is IMO the only way I would consider towing, just easier to connect, dis-connect, tow, and no dolly to have to do anything with when you get there. Having said all that, with the Gemini, we rarely if ever tow, now. The Gemini can get in and out of parking lots, and if we are going to be anywhere for awhile, I rent an econobox.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut....

Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

One tow dolly option is to rent one first for a short trip to confirm it's what you really want. You may find its not worth the hassle, or that you'd rather trade for a flat-towable toad.

Like Laco, we also prefer to not tow at all, which is why we have a 20-foot van that can go and be parked pretty much anywhere. Your RV is much larger, so your needs are very different. However, even when we've rented larger motorhomes for longer trips, I've not towed.

When in doubt, I try to rent initially to get the feel of what I'm after. Renting a motorhome before buying my first MH helped in deciding what I needed/wanted. Renting camping trailers a couple of times confirmed we don't really like trailers, etc. For us it's been money well spent.

I've flat-towed a couple of my vehicles (but not for "recreational" use), as well as rented dolly and car trailer. Of these, flat towing was the lesser evil.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We towed a Mini Cooper S for two years with an American Car Dolly and had no problems with it, other than the dolly mounted brake controller being too sensitive. We had the gain set at minimum and the brakes would grab at very low speeds, and lock up on gravel. We fixed that problem by using Tekonsha controller we had left over from the trailer days. I suspect that the Mini was probably too light and the brakes may have been adjusted tight.

The dolly was perfect for the Mini. The included fully removable steel ramps were low enough that we didn’t have a problem loading the Mini (which is a very low ground clearance car) and we hardly knew the Mini was back there. We did chose to drive around with two spare tires - one for Mini and one for the dolly as we do end up crossing some pretty isolated territory. Never needed either, but they filled up what storage we had in the Mini.

Service was great. Gary personally delivers his dollies to your door and goes over how to load and secure your car with you at delivery. It’s a very well built dolly and can handle much larger vehicles. He uses Dexter axles so it came with EZ Lube bearings and electric brakes.

We recently traded the Mini for a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Mini was blast to drive, but had become just too small and DW really didn’t like loading and unloading it. So now we will be towing 4 down and the dolly will be going on the market.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I just moved from TT to a Super C. I will use my 12' landscape trailer with ramp and better tires and plan to buy a Smart Car. It is less that 12'. It's well within the weight limits of the trailer and does not require brakes on the trailer. it will be a single axle unit.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #15

THOR #11266
Thanks for all the ideas!!

I found a guy 90 minutes from home with a practically new Roadmaster. He towed his daughter's car about 100 miles and parked the dolly. It's a relative steal for what he is selling it to me. So...decision made. We won't use it much at all, but a well-made dolly at a bargain price seemed sensible. And now IF we need to tow we can.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #16

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Most dolly's will be the same here: drive up, e-brake on, put straps on, put safeties on, stow ramps (if applicable), unlock steering (if applicable), e-brake off, drive RV away. As such I don't think the EZE-Tow is any more difficult or easier than any other dolly...its just the nature of a dolly.

The EZE-Tow model is a little lighter that some of the other dollies (doesn't have the additional weight of a turn table which also means the steering must be unlocked), the car rests on the two frame rails as there really is no platform either.

As with most things: You can do as much research as you want with dollies; eventually you'll either pick one or be drowning in information. I picked the EZE-Tow (mostly because of weight since we have a smaller coach and an older one with the 5k lb hitch).
Also pull a dolly think it's the best way to go but I've actually seen people load cars on dollies and they don't bother to hook the safety chains up
Old 05-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #17

THOR #11266
Electric vs surge brakes opinions?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:50 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Electric vs surge brakes opinions?
Electric brakes will have a lighter tongue making it easier to move the dolly around in the campground. However, electric brakes may grab too much, or not enough depending on the brake controller setting/adjustment.

Surge brakes just work and are proportional (some think they are not...they are). They do come with a ~50 lb tongue weight "penalty".
Old 05-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
[QUOTE=JamieGeek;
Surge brakes just work and are proportional (some think they are not...they are). They do come with a ~50 lb tongue weight "penalty".[/QUOTE]
I dson't where you info came from but my Mastertow with surge brakes has an 12 lb tongue weight when unloaded. That includes the safety chains wrapped around the tongue. The loading ramps counter balance the tongue almost perfectly.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:38 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I dson't where you info came from but my Mastertow with surge brakes has an 12 lb tongue weight when unloaded. That includes the safety chains wrapped around the tongue. The loading ramps counter balance the tongue almost perfectly.
Ok 12lbs for the Mastertow... ah

For my dolly: tongue weight with surge: 50lbs, tongue weight with electric brakes 27lbs; only a 23lb penalty (ACME tow dolly FAQ).

I stand corrected...

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly, towing, trailer