Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #1001
Slight High Speed Shimmy

It's not that bothersome,but just curious. On rare occasions,(passing,etc),I notice a slight-moderate shake across the entire unit on my '15 ACE 30.2.Usually around 75mph. I'm assuming since the unit is anything but aerodynamic ,that its probably just self created turbulence.
Any response?
Thanks!
Tim

Old 03-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by timr View Post
....cut...

Any response?
Thanks!
Tim
Anything is possible, but I would expect it's more likely caused by a tire/wheel being out of balance or out of round. Less likely could be part of the drivetrain out of balance.

Every vehicle, including every one I've owned, has a suspension natural frequency that is reached at some speed -- and in the range of 75 MPH is fairly common.

If my tires are not perfectly balanced, my van will start a little vibration just above 70 MPH, peaking at 74~75 MPH. If I push beyond the natural frequency and get close to 80 MPH, the vibration stops. And that's expected.

I'm not suggesting you drive even faster, but if it went away or reduced significantly, then it's a good indication of something being out of balance or out of round.

By the way, I'd check the tires carefully. I once had a tire that was about to fail where I could feel a bump developing before I could see it. I run my hands over the tire feeling for any lumps. That can cause vibration because it's both out of round and out of balance.