Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I just dont have much luck working on this motorhome!!

I am flipping beside myself right now! So, I wait a week for adapters to arrive so I can wire up my new 9" backup monitor. I un- screwed camera 3 from the switch box, plugged in all the adapters to the new monitor and nothing! The screen comes on blue and says no signal I switch the monitor to video 2 and still blue screen no signal. So I unplug the RCA jack plug it into a different RCA jack still nothing. I plugged the camera cable back into the switch box sure enough Picture on the tiny axxera screen. I then tried everything over again, still nothing. Okay, so I figure I'll move onto wiring the axxera to a keyed power source. I think to myself no problem, I've done this a million times. I locate a power wire cut the pigtail from the back of the Xterra and wire it to the keyed power source. , the blue lights on the axxera come to life, then it shuts off, again nothing! I tried the power switch on the axxera three or four times don't come on and stay on anything I do. I'm done, I've had enough for today I think I'll just pay for people to work on this rig. Nothing I work on seems to work the first time I do it and I consider myself a mechanic slash Car Guy. Okay rant over good night everyone.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:00 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Don't give up Pat, I think many of us can relate to your frustration. It sounds crazy, well maybe I am a bit, but it helps me to remember that it is a Thor and things aren't expected to be done right. That way I have lowered expectations. Hang in there. Maybe you can find an auto sound installer close to you. I went to a guy here in Orange and had him install a subwoofer and new speakers for me and it didn't cost that much. Normally I too would have done it myself, but when I saw how many wires were connected to the Axxera I decided not to.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

THOR #7205
Thanks brucev, I know I'll get it one way or another. It just get's frustrating when I power through the arthritis pain in my thumbs to get something done, then it was all for not.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #10907
Why don't you connect the display directly to the switching box? Our '17 Vegas has several RCA composite video connectors on the switch box, I used one of them to go to my 12" monitor I put over the drivers side.

I ditched the stock radio though, I'm just using the 12" monitor for the rear and side cameras. It works AMAZING! I have the rear camera on all the time while driving, the side cameras override the rear when the turn signals are turned on. It then goes back to monitoring the rear.

Take a picture of your "switch box" and post it here. Unless it simply has RCA connections like the newer ones. If it does, just plug the monitor into one of them and you should be good.

If it looks like this you should be able to do what you want...

Old 05-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

THOR #10907
This is what I did...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180318_112238.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	10233  
Old 05-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Why don't you connect the display directly to the switching box? Our '17 Vegas has several RCA composite video connectors on the switch box, I used one of them to go to my 12" monitor I put over the drivers side.

I ditched the stock radio though, I'm just using the 12" monitor for the rear and side cameras. It works AMAZING! I have the rear camera on all the time while driving, the side cameras override the rear when the turn signals are turned on. It then goes back to monitoring the rear.

Take a picture of your "switch box" and post it here. Unless it simply has RCA connections like the newer ones. If it does, just plug the monitor into one of them and you should be good.

If it looks like this you should be able to do what you want...

Mine looks just like yours. I was hoping you would chime in. I thought I needed to unhook the camera 3 lead. So, what should I plug into on the switch box? Catch up with you later , I hope, going to Mom's day church.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

THOR #10907
If the monitor you bought has RCA in, try using any of the three RCA outputs on the switch box. I ended up using the one directly mounted on the box that's labeled "Video Out". One of the other two on the pigtails work though, I don't remember which one but I would assume the yellow one since that's usually the color of RCA video.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

THOR #7205
Thanks, I'll give that a try a bit later. still doing mom's day stuff.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #9

THOR #7205
No wonder I couldn't this thread

It's in the wrong category. It must have jumped when I clicked "mods & updates". DOH
Old 05-15-2018, 09:48 PM   #10

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
If the monitor you bought has RCA in, try using any of the three RCA outputs on the switch box. I ended up using the one directly mounted on the box that's labeled "Video Out". One of the other two on the pigtails work though, I don't remember which one but I would assume the yellow one since that's usually the color of RCA video.
So, still no joy! I tried all the rca plugs available, nothing but blue screen/no signal. I spent some time shortening wires from the video box to get rid of some of the rats nest. I cut & used crimp on butt connectors, instead of the twist on wire caps that were on them. I saw that the wires for Camera #1 & #2 were connected to other wires. But, the blue wire labeled Camera #3 was not stripped and dangling loose. There was also a green wire loose as well. In all this mess the right side mirror camera has quit working and the pigtail going into the video box is hotter than a firecracker! I quickly unscrewed it and left it hanging. Sheesh! I also figured out that the power pigtail going to the "Assera" 614 has two hot wires. Not hot and negative as expected. I'm just shaking my head!
Old 05-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Do you have the correct input selected in the monitor's menu?
Old 05-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #12

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
Do you have the correct input selected in the monitor's menu?
I have been switching between Camera 1/Camera 2.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #13

THOR #7205
Could a moderator move this thread to "mods & updates"?

Could a moderator move this thread to "mods & updates"? Please & Thank you.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:32 AM   #14

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Don't give up Pat, I think many of us can relate to your frustration. It sounds crazy, well maybe I am a bit, but it helps me to remember that it is a Thor and things aren't expected to be done right. That way I have lowered expectations. Hang in there. Maybe you can find an auto sound installer close to you. I went to a guy here in Orange and had him install a subwoofer and new speakers for me and it didn't cost that much. Normally I too would have done it myself, but when I saw how many wires were connected to the Axxera I decided not to.
Bruce, I stuck -it-out and prevailed!! Finally got the new monitor working! It was a long drawn out process, especially with the right side mirror camera cable shorting out internally.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:53 AM   #15

THOR #7205
As I said above the cable for the passenger side camera shorted out during this process. I first had to track down what the problem really was. The Tech at Velvac mirrors thought it was the switching box. I eliminated that by switching camera cables from left to right. Sure enough, the cable position for the passenger camera worked (through the driver side wiring). But, camera was still out in the other position. I had to dis-assemble the entire passenger side mirror and cable assembly. After finding that the long (8.5') cable was the culprit, I then needed to find a new cable. NOT! I searched google over & over for three/four days without finding a double female end aviation cable. I bought a pack of cable ends and proceeded to VERY CAREFULLY solder wires to the new 5 pin connector. What a PITA! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After my fix worked, I then hung and wired in the new monitor. I hit the power button on the monitor and voila, picture! I guess the passenger camera being messed up prevented the new monitor from working in my previous attempts. Dunno, just glad it is working!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
The first thing i did when installing my monitor was throw the stock switch box in the trash. Its not needed for anything. At least not with the mobitor i got from rearview safety. It was plug and play

Glad you got it working

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Bruce, I stuck -it-out and prevailed!! Finally got the new monitor working! It was a long drawn out process, especially with the right side mirror camera cable shorting out internally.

I am inspired by your refusal to give up. I probably would have given up, or taken a hammer to it long ago. Just joking glad to hear you found the problem. I too know the health struggles that come with age, I can still do it, it just takes longer. Anyway Congrats and safe travels!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:19 AM   #18

THOR #7205
Thanks Brucev & Halfprice. Most times I refuse to give up. We are taking off for 10 -11 days for a get away before a very hectic July, early August.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to know that you were able to.. "Git 'er done!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #20

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
What a mess