Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Invisibrake failure

So we are tooling through the Cumberland Gap in Kentucky on our way to Smoky Mtn NP and my Invisibrake light for brakes on in towed car does not come on. Pull into a rest area and check the Invisibrake box. When MH brakes are applied the Invisibrake pump runs but produces no pressure. Cranked the pressure adjustment up and still no pressure. I think the brake controller pump is bad but Don’t know for sure. Used the tow/haul liberally and made it into The Rv park in Tn. Any ideas on troubleshooting? I think the controller is toast and I will have to limp it home and have the dealer replace on Roadmasters dime. But we are open to ideas
Thx. Mark

Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Invisibrake failure

Some thoughts/questions..
If you start the toad, do you have power brakes or dead pedal?
The pump (vacuum, not pressure) is connected to the vehicles power brake system. A break in vacuum line would affect both Invisibrake and normal toad braking.
When connected as toad and RV brakes applied, does the toad brake pedal move?
The Invisibrake both applies vacuum to the power assist, and moves the pedal...
These may help narrow down the issue.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
+1 on the vacuum lines. I'm in Townsend, just outside the Nat'l Park; if I can help in any way, let me know. Available later tomorrow (Sunday). mjrichaud @ gmail
Old 09-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #4

THOR #14698
The Invisibrake is connected to the Jeeps brake pedal via a cable . When the MH brakes are applied the vacuum pump pulls the cable and applies the brakes. The Invisibrake pump runs so it not an electrical issue and the Jeep brakes are fine on their own. There is an inches of vacuum pressure gauge on the box and when the unit is working it shows a reading, currently pump runs and reading is 0.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 09-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #5

THOR #14698
I am pretty well convinced it is an internal failure in the control units pump. Or possibly an internal vacuum line leak. As the system is still under factory warranty I won’t void that by opening the control unit. I was grasping at straws hoping I missed something in the diagnosis. With all the experienced RVr’s on here it is always worth putting a problem out there and seeing what others have gone through. Thank you GM for your quick response and thanks MRichaud for the offer of help. We are in Townsend as well maybe we should meet for coffee
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 09-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

THOR #14508
Sounds good - how long will you be staying?
Old 09-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

THOR #14698
Til at least the middle of next week
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 09-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #8

THOR #14508
Great - will send my ph. # via PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

THOR #14698
Update got the ACE and Cherokee home. Called the installing dealer and have an apt. end of October. As an FYI that tow/haul on the F53 chassis works as advertised. Tapped that brake pedal and the trans did the braking for us no untold stress on the coach’s brakes all the way from East Tn to NW Indiana. Also this is our first Ford V10. Last C we had was on Chevy with a 6L. That one could barely get out of its own way. I was truly impressed with the Ford’s ability to handle the load running the Appalachians. On the Chevy if you lost momentum and got pinned behind a truck that was it, put on the flashers and follow up the hill. This one tromp on it and the F53 and toad would move out strong. Not saying it’s a race car but the V10 could accelerate with the 4500 lb toad up a hill. I was impressed. Safe travels. Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 10-04-2019, 11:54 PM   #10

THOR #14508
Glad you made it home OK!
Old 10-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #11

THOR #14698
Update/2. Today took the Ace and Cherokee back to my dealer that installed tow package . Dealer install tech checked the system out and concurred with my diagnosis of bad control unit. The tech, Matt, called Roadmaster and they had him run another “test” they said in rare cases the vacuum lines will develop an air lock similar to the vapor lock condition that was common in summer in the old carbureted vehicles. The pump runs and didn’t develop any vacuum pressure both Matt and I figured that the test was a waste of time but as Roadmaster walked him through the diagnostic procedure on the phone he ran the test. No joy, still no vacuum. The brake module is kaput. My dealer (Terry’s RV Frankfort IL) has done a great job , both with a professional install and thorough job with the diagnosis. My rub is with Roadmaster. Roadmaster wants Terry’s to ship the unit back to them on the west coast,(Washington?), then they are to rebuild and ship back and have my dealer reinstall, they don’t want Terry’s to slide another unit off the shelf into our toad. Fortunately we are at home, but if I were on the road with this issue at a servicing dealer this could be a time consuming and costly venture. Having to stay put for ? days while Roadmaster has my brake controller shipped back and forth. IDK but I’m not sure I want a rebuilt unit in my Cherokee when we paid for new. What are u guys/gals thoughts? TX Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 10-24-2019, 11:56 PM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
My rub is with Roadmaster. Roadmaster wants Terry’s to ship the unit back to them on the west coast,(Washington?), then they are to rebuild and ship back and have my dealer reinstall, they don’t want Terry’s to slide another unit off the shelf into our toad. Fortunately we are at home, but if I were on the road with this issue at a servicing dealer this could be a time consuming and costly venture. Having to stay put for ? days while Roadmaster has my brake controller shipped back and forth. IDK but I’m not sure I want a rebuilt unit in my Cherokee when we paid for new. What are u guys/gals thoughts? TX Mark

I’d have to dig out my paperwork, but I expect the warranty says “repair or replace at Roadmaster’s discretion” or something to that effect..
A unit the factory has gone over and rebuilt might be better than new... (compare to taking the RV back to factory for service...)
I’d hope they might have a different response if you were on the road and having to stay put waiting.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #13

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I’d have to dig out my paperwork, but I expect the warranty says “repair or replace at Roadmaster’s discretion” or something to that effect..
A unit the factory has gone over and rebuilt might be better than new... (compare to taking the RV back to factory for service...)
I’d hope they might have a different response if you were on the road and having to stay put waiting.
Good thought on factory rebuild may be better than new.
The tech at the dealership said he has installed dozens of the Invisibrakes and ours is the first failure he has encountered. He is hoping Roadmaster didn't have a bad run of controllers. Can't seem to find the thread but I remember reading someone else on this forum had a problem with their Invisibrake controller also.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 10-25-2019, 12:53 AM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Good thought on factory rebuild may be better than new.
The tech at the dealership said he has installed dozens of the Invisibrakes and ours is the first failure he has encountered. He is hoping Roadmaster didn't have a bad run of controllers. Can't seem to find the thread but I remember reading someone else on this forum had a problem with their Invisibrake controller also.
I am having a problem with my Invisibrake as well. It will not apply the brakes when I step on the brake in the coach. It does work when I pull the emergency pin in the front of the toad. Since I am home I have the Roadmaster regional rep coming to the house to troubleshoot next week. We'll see what happens with the troubleshooting.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:29 AM   #15

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I am having a problem with my Invisibrake as well. It will not apply the brakes when I step on the brake in the coach. It does work when I pull the emergency pin in the front of the toad. Since I am home I have the Roadmaster regional rep coming to the house to troubleshoot next week. We'll see what happens with the troubleshooting.
dstankov didn't you just have your Invisibrake system installed as well?
On ours the controller will run the vacuum pump when brakes are applied or the emergency pin is pulled but it generates no vac pressure in either mode so no braking under any condition.
Frustrating to say the least as it is supposed to be a plug and play, goof proof system. DW is surprised at how I have mellowed with old age though as I didn't take my frustration out on anybody, at least not yet..….. Keep us posted on how your Service Rep works out your problem. Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 10-25-2019, 02:15 AM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
dstankov didn't you just have your Invisibrake system installed as well?
On ours the controller will run the vacuum pump when brakes are applied or the emergency pin is pulled but it generates no vac pressure in either mode so no braking under any condition.
Frustrating to say the least as it is supposed to be a plug and play, goof proof system. DW is surprised at how I have mellowed with old age though as I didn't take my frustration out on anybody, at least not yet..….. Keep us posted on how your Service Rep works out your problem. Mark
You are correct in stating my Invisibrake was recently installed. I haven't even gotten one good tow (camping trip) out of it yet. The Roadmaster rep believes that the issue may be a ground issue between the new coach and the jeep. If I get a chance this weekend I might see about hooking up the Jeep to the coach and running a ground cable between the 2 vehicles and see if the system will work. Depends on my mood and attitude after taking the coach to the dealer tomorrow for verification of warranty issues.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-30-2019, 01:14 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
My issue was fixed today by the RoadMaster rep. I posted the info on the Outfitting thread

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/...awk-17552.html
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-30-2019, 01:26 AM   #18

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
My issue was fixed today by the RoadMaster rep. I posted the info on the Outfitting thread

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/...awk-17552.html
Glad to see Roadmaster stepped up and got you back in the game!

My brake controller was pulled from my our Cherokee last Thursday 10/24. If they overnighted the thing to Roadmaster they should have gotten it Friday 10/25 or with the benefit of the doubt by Monday 10/28. I'm a lot more patient waiting on this repair as the MH is winterized and at home but we are still waiting word on what the issue is with the controller. I figure if no word by Thursday a week into the process I will call my dealer and Roadmaster to see what is up.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 11-11-2019, 01:27 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Glad to see Roadmaster stepped up and got you back in the game!

My brake controller was pulled from my our Cherokee last Thursday 10/24. If they overnighted the thing to Roadmaster they should have gotten it Friday 10/25 or with the benefit of the doubt by Monday 10/28. I'm a lot more patient waiting on this repair as the MH is winterized and at home but we are still waiting word on what the issue is with the controller. I figure if no word by Thursday a week into the process I will call my dealer and Roadmaster to see what is up.
Have you received any status on your InvisiBrake?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:38 AM   #20

THOR #14698
As of last Thursday 11/7 my dealer said they hadn’t heard from Roadmaster. I will call my dealer tomorrow and see what the status is. If they tell me they have heard nothing yet from Roadmaster I will put in a call to RM myself and raise some stink.
Roadmaster Invisibrake