Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2016, 01:55 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Lincoln MKX or MKZ flat towing

Anyone out there flat towing the AWD version of the MKX or MKZ? If so how do they act when pulled behind the RV. On the Ford side I am also looking at the AWD version of the Edge and Taurus as well.

I informed my wife it's getting close to having to replace the tires on my Flex. Once again the dealer says their relatively high priced tires come with a free vehicle.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:37 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
My parents used to tow their FWD Edge around all the time. As far as I know they never had an issue with it.

Don't know if the AWD versions are even towable (but you've probably already looked that up).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
My parents used to tow their FWD Edge around all the time. As far as I know they never had an issue with it.

Don't know if the AWD versions are even towable (but you've probably already looked that up).
The Edge can be flat towed provided it has either the 6F50 or 6F55 transmission installed.

The only AWD or 4X4 vehicles that I see absent from the Ford towable list are the Escape, Expedition and Fusion AWD. I'll have to see why the Fusion AWD is absent.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Decision made

We pulled the trigger on a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. We got a deal on a new holdover 2015 that could not be refused.

The MKZ Hybrid is flat towable, even though it is not listed on my 2016 towing guide and it comes equipped with a Neutral Tow setting for use when the vehicle is towed.

For flat towing turn ignition on, set heater control to recirculate, engage Neutral Tow, turn ignition off. Do not exceed 70 MPH and start the vehicle for one minute and run through the gears at the beginning of each day.

In the future I'll start talking to the Lincoln service department dealer about setting it up for towing. I am not, however, in any great rush to do this since most of my upcoming trips will be conducive to using a rental car rather than towing.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Cool a MKZ Hybrid is a "little brother" to my C-Max Energi (you have a smaller battery and no plug)--well ok its the Fusion's sister but still all 3 have the exact same powertrain (at least the Hybrid's do, the Energi models add a bunch of stuff so that they can run only on electric; like a vacuum pump to keep a vacuum in the system without having to start the ICE, and electric A/C, etc.).

So far I've been getting 36-40 mpg when running in hybrid mode (this low figure is most likely due to the fact that I'm using hybrid mode for heat since its been cold here lately). Overall my C-Max is reporting 66+ mpg but that is a cheat as it completely ignores the fact that it gets about 1/2 of its motive power from the wall for the routes I take.

Hey see if you have the Engineering Test mode on yours: Before starting it hold down the left "Ok" on the steering wheel. While still holding it down press the start button (without the brake). The dash should go into engineering test mode. You can then start it normally and cycle through a bunch of extra displays (all lights test, engine RPM display, battery charge level, etc.). To get it out of engineering test mode simply shut off the car. This works on my C-Max but it didn't on my Focus Electric (also works on my father's C-Max which is 2 years older than mine).
Old 02-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
At the dealer we actually compared the Fusion and the MKZ side by side in and out. When we got inside and opened the Panoramic Moon Roof on the MKZ thee comparison was over. I had also looked at two studies for Hybrids that were done by Edmonds. One found only two Hybrids beat the MKZ in MPG and both of those are electric versions (one being the Fusion Energi). The other study looked at TCO against the non-hybrid versions over time and found the MKZ Hybrid is actually cheaper to own than the non-hybrid version. The Fusion Hybrid actually came in on the negative side of TCO as did most other popular Hybrids.

After we picked it up last night we went to dinner (11 miles in and around Richmond) and then 22 miles to the house (mostly I 95) and for that trip we got 41.7 MPG with 11 EV miles.

For towing the MKZ Hybrid at just under 3800 pounds is about 160 pounds heavier than the Fusion Hybrid but about 200 pounds lighter than the Fusion Energi. At that weight I don't have to clean out the wife's closet to stay under GCWR.

When I start playing around later today I'll check out the Engineering Test mode and see if it is there. No mention of it in the owner's manual.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
The other study looked at TCO against the non-hybrid versions over time and found the MKZ Hybrid is actually cheaper to own than the non-hybrid version.
That TCO calculation is highly dependent on fuel, electricity prices and the mix of use (if you only drive 10 miles a day you'll be on electricity only all the time). In my case I still have the time-of-day rates I used for the Focus Electric. Thus running on electricity only costs me next to nothing if I charge overnight (which the car is programmed to do; $0.035/kWh vs $0.14/kWh in the daytime).

Quote:
For towing the MKZ Hybrid at just under 3800 pounds is about 160 pounds heavier than the Fusion Hybrid but about 200 pounds lighter than the Fusion Energi. At that weight I don't have to clean out the wife's closet to stay under GCWR.
Interesting: my C-Max is also 3800 lbs (200-300 lbs more than my Focus and my wife's Escape). I would expect the hybrid versions to not weigh in as much due to the smaller battery. The C-Max body must be lighter than the Fusion/MKZ body. (I'd also expect the MKZ to be heavier than the Fusion simply because its a Lincoln: heavier seats, thicker glass, that moon roof alone weighs more than a sheet of metal, etc.)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Anyone out there flat towing the AWD version of the MKX or MKZ? If so how do they act when pulled behind the RV....
I had been flat towing a non-AWD 2014 MKZ Hybrid behind my Hurricane 34E for 10 months. The Blue Ox baseplate virtually "disappears" when not in use, (if you carefully mount your break-away switch so it's hidden, and use a black plastic 6 prong umbilical plug mounted to the baseplate's metal prongs made for that purpose).

I saw a few other MKZ toads, (a common sight near Beaumont/Palm Springs/Palm Desert area), that were butchered up and had the umbilical jack cut into the bumper, and/or the break away screwed onto the grill where it was sticking out, just plain ugly. Overall, it was great and an easy tow! Had to check the rear view camera occasionally to make sure it was still there.

I really missed having something with 4-wheel drive so I upgraded to a nice Jeep Liberty last October.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That TCO calculation is highly dependent on fuel & electricity prices. In my case I still have the time-of-day rates I used for the Focus Electric. Thus running on electricity only costs me next to nothing if I charge overnight (which the car is programmed to do; $0.035/kWh vs $0.14/kWh in the daytime).

Interesting: my C-Max is also 3800 lbs (200-300 lbs more than my Focus and my wife's Escape). I would expect the hybrid versions to not weigh in as much due to the smaller battery. The C-Max body must be lighter than the Fusion/MKZ body. (I'd also expect the MKZ to be heavier than the Fusion simply because its a Lincoln: heavier seats, thicker glass, that moon roof alone weighs more than a sheet of metal, etc.)
I believe the TCO numbers also include another factor not often realized. The Lincolns come from the factory with 24 months of complimentary service so for the first two years there are no service related costs for the owner of an MKZ.

As to the weight, based on the 2016 Towing Guide I have, and Ford's website, the weight of the Energi versions of the CMax and Fusion are approx. 250 pounds heavier than the Hybrid version so the additional batteries do become a factor for towing. Not sure how accurate the numbers are but the towing guide has the CMAX Energi's approx. curb weight at 3899 and the Fusion Energi at 3913. The Hybrid versions are 3640 and 3639 respectively. If those numbers are accurate I wonder why the Fusion Engergi is heavier than the CMAX yet the CMAX Hybrid is 1 pound heavier than the Fusion.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
That difference could simply be more or less structural around the larger battery (since the C-Max is a hatchback to put a larger battery in they simply go "up", to fit the larger battery in the Fusion may take more engineering).

This all reminds me: Have to stop at a CAT scale and see how much my Energi weighs when I get a chance.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Jamie

Are you planning to use your dolly for the CMAX or are you going to rig for flat towing?
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Jamie

Are you planning to use your dolly for the CMAX or are you going to rig for flat towing?
Just going to use the dolly. The C-Max is a lease and don't want to muck it up that much with the tow-bar installation. In addition, using the dolly leaves us with the option of taking either car.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #13

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Georgia
THOR #7779
Did you use a car dolly to tow the hybrid ?