Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Georgia
THOR #5040
Motorcycle Lifts?

Does anyone have any actual experience with a motorcycle lift system on a Thor motorhome? Two systems are a cruiserlift.com which is electric winch type and the hydralift which is hydraulic type. Both attach to the frame of the motorhome, not the trailer hitch. Interested in picking up a full sized bike (Goldwing). Both systems recommend additional frame welding to reinforce the frame and either airlifts or larger rear springs. Have a Thor Ace 29.4.

Any actual experience out there with either of these systems?

Old 08-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Virginia
THOR #5132
Steve I've done a lot research on these lifts and carriers and IMHO you'd be better of with an enclosed trailer and it's cheaper and backing up is not bad (once you get the hang of it) but if you want the lift option getting the upgrades will be a wise investment. (another reason to go with a trailer) If you don't exceed the weight limit you'll be fine, for liability reasons they are "rated" low. you might want to consider Mighty hauler 1000H Motorcycle Carrier Hydraulic they have some nice options, speaking of options I'd also recommend that you seriously consider a Victory Vision as your dresser/bagger. I've owned on for 5 years and I can't see me going back to a Goldwing or Harley. Whatever you decide just make sure you take your bike with you
Old 08-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #3

THOR #5040
Ill look into the Mighty Hauler, but the problem is I have a small trailer to tow behind. Only weighs about 2000#, but that will exceed tongue loads of the Mighty Hauler for a trailer behind. I need the motorcycle AND the trailer, not either / or. Victorys are nice, but i have had Goldwings for many years. My wife like to ride with me. She likes the back of the Goldwing. I need to encourage this behavior!
Old 08-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
I decided to go with a 6x10 enclosed trailer which I can carry the motorcycle, a couple of bicycles and I still have room for a bunch of plastic totes. Currently I have a large plastic tote filled with all my motorcycle and Bicycle gear. I like having all the extra room to carry a variety of stuff and not taking up all the space in my RV storage bins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160812_145333.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	2743   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160812_145243.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	2744  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160812_145258.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2745  
Old 08-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #5

THOR #5040
Understand you like the trailer. I also have a trailer for the motorcycle. Works great. But, I need to tow a specialized trailer containing my sailplane behind the motorhome AND carry the motorcycle also. So, altho I appreciate your thoughts and comments, an enclosed motorcycle trailer wont work for my application. If it can be made to happen, I need to lift the motorcycle up, and then hook up the trailer underneath it.

So, hopefully, does anyone have any actual experience utilizing one of the available motorcycle lift systems? Would love to talk to you. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #6101
Steve777, I too am looking at trailering my sailplane behind a RV and also a motorcycle. I will need a lift.

Off topic question: Are you using your mc as your tow out vehicle? I thought about putting a hitch on my mc. I did see someone out at Perry SC last year using a Gold Wing for their tow out.

Thanks,
F2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve777 View Post

I need to tow a specialized trailer containing my sailplane behind the motorhome AND carry the motorcycle also.

So, hopefully, does anyone have any actual experience utilizing one of the available motorcycle lift systems? Would love to talk to you. Thanks.

Tags
general, motorcycle, towing