Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #4018
Axis/Vegas Brake Controller

Has anyone tackled installing a brake controller without bringing it to a dealer? I have traced wires all over the place and just confused myself. I do believe as other posts have said that ford did not pre-wire the stripped chassis. Any help would be appreciated:

Old 09-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I think it's Thor that wired the wire harness at the rear of the RV. There should be a coil of wire back there that comes out the rear of the 7-way plug. Probably the only thing wired to the plug are lights and brake lights.

I'd buy a trailer simulator adapter so that I could ensure that all the wires coming into the 7-way are correct.

When the RVs are driven from the factory to the dealers, the drivers often have their car on a dolly so that they can drive home after delivery to the dealer. That is what makes me think the lights and brake lights are wired because they would need those for the dolly.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:05 AM   #3

THOR #4018
When the trailer is hooked up, everything works correctly...even the power jack. Unfortunately though they did not run a harness up to the dash for the brake controller. I traced the wires but can't seem to figure out the best way to do it and was hoping someone had tried to diy this and could point me in the right direction. I'm still in shock they didn't run it to the cab while the unit was stripped
Old 09-18-2016, 01:47 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
Yep- on the stripped van chassis (Vegas/Axis) , the brake controller wire stops at the large connector under the drivers seat . I tied into the wire just rearward of the connector and wired the rest myself. Not really that hard , but was also strange to me that Ford didn't provide all the wiring hook-up, like almost every other truck manufacturer these days. I spent about half a day tracing wiring just to convince myself ....
Old 09-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #5

THOR #4018
Do you have any photos of where the wires terminated under the drivers seat?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #6

THOR #1812
No,unfortunately I don't. But easy to find: trace the major wiring harness from the rear of the coach along the left (drivers side) frame rail. It is of course under the coach, just to the left of the powertrain - before the harness goes up under the hood. I tied into the harness rearward of the connector where there was good access.

I mounted the controller to the right of the steering column, took the power feed from the fuse block underhood on the drivers side, and the signal from the stoplight switch. All wires go thru the passthru on the driver side.

I have installed a lot of brake controllers thru the years before trucks were wired for them ( race trailer) , not really that hard - but hated to go back ! Like I said- most time was spent researching and tracing wiring - should have just dived in and wired it from scratch ! Not a lot of info on stripped Van chassis on the Internet....😡
Old 09-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler
Not a lot of info on stripped Van chassis on the Internet....
Did you find this:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...iring_v1-0.pdf
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

THOR #1812
Yes ,I did, Jaimie- but it does not really show where the brake wire terminates - if I Remember it indicated it is not connected at the gas tank junction point. Only person with the right info was a Thor tech, but there was so much variable info out there ( and rumors of a stripped chassis trailer option- which I never confirmed ) , I traced the wire for myself ! 😡