Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thor CEO wasn’t talking about hope, he’s talking about reality. The RV marketplace is changing, in large part because young buyers are not like baby boomers in many ways. Their likes, expectations, and income are often not compatible with a large expensive motorhome towing a car.

Sales numbers have been showing a trend for years. I may be completely wrong, but expect that over time our RV purchases will be more like those in Europe and other parts of the world than what we have presently in US. In most countries towing a car behind a motorhome is rare.

Fortunately the shift towards smaller motorhomes is slow, and very low interest rates still makes buying expensive units affordable, otherwise RV manufacturers would be hurting worse than they are.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I might buy a Class B if they weren’t so darned expensive. My 32 ft Class A was considerably less expensive than any of the B’s I’d consider. Not willing to pay more for a less comfortable coach.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #43

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I might buy a Class B if they weren’t so darned expensive. ......cut......
You’re not alone. It has to be an issue that will affect the industry if they can’t figure out a way to lower costs for Bs. Unlike Class As and Cs, buyers have the option to buy a van and convert it themselves at a much lower cost. That’s not to say they are equivalent in fit and finish, but at least they can customize it to their own preferences.

The article I mentioned above was the very first time I saw a Do-It-Yourself van option mentioned at all in any context within a business write-up. I don’t know what the numbers are, but it would not surprise me if there are not more DIY camper vans than from RV manufacturers.

Regarding expense, Class Bs seem to hold their value, can sometimes be parked at home, and can double as a second (or even primary) vehicle. When combined with fuel and maintenance savings, and ease of boondocking, total ownership costs are likely much lower. That’s probably why they appeal to young buyers, along with their greater mobility.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #44

THOR #6826
Actually, my millennial son well might choose to live in it full time - if he could afford to get one in the first place.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #45

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
There doesn’t seem to be any question the the Axis/Vegas is selling well. Every time I turn around I see one on the highway or campground, We we’re in the Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort & Marina two weeks ago and had another Vegas right across the street from us.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #46

THOR #2121
It’s rare to see a Class B towing a toad. On the other hand, it’s very common to see Axis/Vegas with a toad.

I wonder how much smaller a Class A would have to be before very few of them pulled a toad? To me that would be the perfect size for a couple.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #47

THOR #6826
How many Axis/Vegas owners are full time? We spent 3 weeks in our 26 ft Class C and it was enough to send us shopping for a “full size” class A. I like the B’s but only for short term or solo use.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:22 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Class B rigs are expensive, because it takes more careful planning to fit everyrhing in such a small package.
Would a skateboard count as a Toad?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:36 AM   #49

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
We have traveled with and without a toad, depending on the circumstances, mostly without. We have even rented a car a few times after we arrived at our destination. If the car rental agency is local they will bring the car to you.

We usually will use satellite images on google maps, to research what parking is available, and have not had any issues parking at destinations.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:27 AM   #50

THOR #2121
My Class C was same length as a 22E, right around 24-ft, and I was able to park it in normal 20-ft parking spots sometimes by backing in and letting rear hang over a curb — when space beyond curb allowed. With only 158” wheelbase, my front bumper would not extend beyond parking spot.

The Hymer 23-ft Class As have a wheelbase around 4 meters, so about the same 158 inches. Because they are only 7-ft wide, their overall footprint isn’t that different than many 23~24 foot Sprinter camper vans. I think Thor should really consider importing them to US if regulations allow it.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #51
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My Dealer sells Erwin Helmet: what's the difference?
Old 04-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #52

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
My Class C was same length as a 22E, right around 24-ft, and I was able to park it in normal 20-ft parking spots sometimes by backing in and letting rear hang over a curb — when space beyond curb allowed. With only 158” wheelbase, my front bumper would not extend beyond parking spot.
Yes you are correct I do it all the time, back in and let the back overhang past the parking lot edge, as long as it doesn't block a sidewalk and there is clearance (low curb & no curb) I also did this with my prior motorhome a 32' class c (223" wheelbase), on a 32' motorhome back wheel to front bumper is around 21'. An F250 crew cab is about 22'

my prior post I was trying emphasize using google maps satellite images or road view to see the parking areas at location you are going to visit.

The main issue for some (Not me) regarding a toad is setting up at the campsite and breaking camp to get to the store or attraction.

For the Original poster:

I am not concerned about the hassle of breaking camp as we travel light and it is just the two of us, but I am concerned about parking at the different parks and attractions. DH believes we can simply uber or rent a car but I think that would get old fast.
Uber might be OK in a major city, If you rent (we have) the car rental will bring the car to you (if close to rental agency) and drop you off when done.

What has been your experiences going without a toad? There are no arguments I can use right now to convince DH we need to use one, so I really want advice on how to handle finding parking for the Axis which is 26.5' long.

Just for reference how many school buses (typically 35') do see in destination parking areas. School buses are typically same dimensions as motorhomes.

Is there usually bus or rv parking at zoos, museums, parks, etc.? Any advice on apps that can be used to find out what kinds of parking attractions have available or do you have to call ahead for each anticipated stop?
Typically yes, call ahead, visit destination website, or use google maps on satellite images or roadview.
last year visited Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns and Niagara Falls, all had RV parking for example.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #53
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Speaking of self converted class B's:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #55

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Speaking of self converted class B's:
.....cut.....
Thanks for sharing. That video does a great job of highlighting many of the benefits of designing your own RV, customization.

They obviously place much emphasize on their dog’s security, leaving van unattended, having work stations, and large kitchen for a van. Plus they can haul bikes under the bed, and have all plumbing inside to prevent freezing.

The Sprinter would not be my choice for building a camper because it’s the narrowest of vans, specially as you move up towards head level where it’s much narrower than a ProMaster (Fiat Ducato). The Fiat has much more upright side walls, and is wider even down low, so makes it feel much roomier for a small van. Fiat claims to have 75% of RV market in Europe, and I expect FWD and extra width help.

It’s too bad no major OEM presently makes a much wider van. They already have plenty of length, ceiling height, and payload capacity. Extra width is what’s missing for a great compact RV.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:57 PM   #56

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Kawasakis... really fun bikes, but they weren't built quite as well as the Hondas of the same era...
When you took apart a Honda: the ground wire was always Green...
With a Kawasaki: it could be almost any color!
The plastic bodywork was also not as thick...

But they DID build some super-enthusiast hardware! [emoji144]
The H1 & H2 bikes were positively scary; when they were up on their pipes!
The Z1 was a worthy replacement to them, and the Z1-TC was even scarier than the triples were!

I miss those days...
Yeah, mine was the KZ 750 Std. I also had a 550 Ltd, several Hondas & started w/a $50 basket full of most of the parts to a 1978 125cc Twinstar that my eldest big brother insisted I buy as my 1st street legal bike (5cc's at the time over the required for the California fwys). Scrap yards provided the missing parts.

He told me if I wanted to ride, I had to learn how to put it together so I could maintain the bike & prove my dedication & ability to take responsibility. In exchange, he put me on his insurance & intervened w/my mom. I followed thru by taking motorcycle mechanics that summer at Palomar Jr College - to pass the class, you had to build a bike from a basket, or box or whatever - my brother was right about making me take that class. I was proud of my little bike & my confidence & level of self discipline soared.

When I got my 1st auto, a Jeep CJ 5, I didn't take that route to learnin about car engines, tht some might think was an extreme measure. But that really hurt me bc I was always left feeling insecure just looking at those huge engines & I developed some kind of mind block to translating even the basics from motorcycles to cars, especially ones w/out carburetors - that jus seemed too alien...

Well, now I have this huge RV that I love as much as my 'lil basket case - & I'm now confronted w/the need to leave my tech & big engine parts phobia behind. I'm reading constantly, learnin from all you guys & keeping an eye out for a basic mechanic course thats hands on & I'm savin up for when I find the right one. I also want to take rv specific courses.

I'm still tech challenged, & havta fight being tech phobic, but my love of this life on the road has given me that desire to overcome & achieve again. I just wish my big brother was still living to see this - in fact, he woulda insisted on movin in w/me till he was sure I was good to go. He woulda loved this as much as I do, maybe more!

As always, I havta thank everyone here for all your help these past 14 weeks. I'm having more fun than I've had since basic combat training (yeah, weird, but I loved it!), my big brother would thank y'all, too
Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Don't get me started talking about Jeeps: we'll never leave the bulding!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #58

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Soldier Girl
that story makes me remember how it was when I used to do all my own work on my cars. Seems like I was always crawling under and through whatever it was I was driving at the time.... when I'd be waiting for the oil to drain I'd be scooting around looking and poking at everything under there... that sort of thing. I remember many times hearing a new rattle or something, and immediately being able to diagnose the problem while at highway speeds!

Now, between the complexity of cars and my lack of time...and lack of desire... I have very little idea what makes them tick...

My MH though, that's another animal...by necessity I've been through just about every inch of that thing at least twice.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #59

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
We had a Axix 25.2 and never toad. The Axis is easy to park anywhere! The only hassle is breaking down connections. If you'll be somewhere more than a day, rentals are very inexpensive and a lot less problem than towing. Don't be worried going it with just your coach!!
Old 04-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #60

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post
I like the idea of an e-bike. Our concerns are not the cost as much as the hassle of towing. That could solve my concerns about getting around at national parks assuming they allow them on the roads.
We consider the toad issue but I still don't want the extra hassle of four more tires and all that goes with it. We have been bringing our e-bikes with us that have a range of over 20 miles on one charge. I wouldn't worry about taking them into parks. They are bicycles since they have pedals.