Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2019, 10:19 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
With a suitable application of cash and sweat: anything is possible!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #22

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
now, I'm a Jeep man, but I don't tow one, I tow a Ford Focus - simpler, easy, automatic, fwd, 4door, and 50mpg highway...

I like my JK, but when I ordered and received it in March 2007, I order a two-wheel drive version, never 'knowing' the future, where finding that it could not be 'towed' 4-down would be in play.

Later, I also had a 4 door Cherokee, the brand new smaller Cherokee back in 2014, the Latitude model - a great 'Jeep', if you'd rather have more of a sedan, but also NOT towable 4 down : /

Jeeps are great, but they are also some of the most expensive vehicles out there when you go to compare them to many other towable options.....

I did the same. Ford Focus is a very affordable car. Got a used one for a great price. We love it. The three Irish Setters fit just fine.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:44 AM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you're towing a Jeep: don't forget the proper tire cover...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1566934392

Here’s mine [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2373.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1989519895[/ATTACH]
Old 08-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #24

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
We tow the 4-door Wrangler Rubicon 4 down with no issues. Follow the proper tow prep sequence provided by Jeep in order to set the transmission, transfer case, and steering wheel lock properly before you pull away or you can cause damage.
GVP
Old 08-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #25
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
A vehicle which could be flat-towed easily behind both our MH and our Ford Explorer
Wrangler is a great choice as a toad behind MH... I have a 2 door - works for us, but is limited room behind front seats... the 4 door solves that.

A word of caution (and to see what others have done) when it comes to towing behind the Explorer...
They recommend a significant weight difference between the tow vehicle and toad to avoid ‘tail wagging the dog’...
I haven’t tried my 2 door behind Explorer yet... probably just over 1000 pound difference... the 4 door would be less of a difference.
Any experiences from others??
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #26

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Wrangler is a great choice as a toad behind MH... I have a 2 door - works for us, but is limited room behind front seats... the 4 door solves that.

A word of caution (and to see what others have done) when it comes to towing behind the Explorer...
They recommend a significant weight difference between the tow vehicle and toad to avoid ‘tail wagging the dog’...
I haven’t tried my 2 door behind Explorer yet... probably just over 1000 pound difference... the 4 door would be less of a difference.
Any experiences from others??
Is there a difference between towing a trailer with a car on it and direct-towing a toad? (Serious question; I'm clearly not a towing expert.) We have towed quite near the 5000 pound limit with our Explorer and it has been absolutely zero problem. That was with our 2nd car on a flatbed trailer. Never once have we had the trailer act up or need to be brought back "under control"; not even had to use the manual brake assist on our trailer brake. I'm just wondering if there is a difference with having the 2nd car directly linked.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #27
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Our entry into the world of TOADS!

Quote:
Is there a difference between towing a trailer with a car on it and direct-towing a toad? (Serious question; I'm clearly not a towing expert.) We have towed quite near the 5000 pound limit with our Explorer and it has been absolutely zero problem. That was with our 2nd car on a flatbed trailer. Never once have we had the trailer act up or need to be brought back "under control"; not even had to use the manual brake assist on our trailer brake. I'm just wondering if there is a difference with having the 2nd car directly linked.
Yes.. big difference...
A normal trailer as no steering wheel that can turn and try to ‘wag the dog’... A four down toad has an unlocked steering wheel (needed to follow) that can do its own thing if not ‘tamed’ by the tow vehicle. It’s the weight difference between the RV and toad that makes it a non-issue.

Edit: found quote in Roadmaster Falcon towbar manual:
“• Never tow a vehicle with one of a comparable weight. The towed vehicle’s weight should never exceed 40 percent of the towing vehicle’s weight.
Towing a vehicle with one of similar weight will cause the towed vehicle to override the towing vehicle, result- ing in “jackknifing,” “leapfrogging” or “fishtailing.” Serious damage to both vehicles, as well as the towing system, could result.”
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:31 PM   #28

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Yes.. big difference...
A normal trailer as no steering wheel that can turn and try to ‘wag the dog’... A four down toad has an unlocked steering wheel (needed to follow) that can do its own thing if not ‘tamed’ by the tow vehicle. It’s the weight difference between the RV and toad that makes it a non-issue.

Edit: found quote in Roadmaster Falcon towbar manual:
“• Never tow a vehicle with one of a comparable weight. The towed vehicle’s weight should never exceed 40 percent of the towing vehicle’s weight.
Towing a vehicle with one of similar weight will cause the towed vehicle to override the towing vehicle, result- ing in “jackknifing,” “leapfrogging” or “fishtailing.” Serious damage to both vehicles, as well as the towing system, could result.”
OK, good to know. I better do some more investigating on this one!
Old 09-03-2019, 01:59 AM   #29

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We tow a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk behind our ACE 27.2 The Cherokee is my wife’s daily driver and @ 4200 lbs it tows nicely behind the MH. The Trailhawk package makes it a very functional vehicle for driving the backwoods Forest service roads we like to explore and is super easy to hook up when ready to tow. The Cherokee is easier for the bride to get in and out of as well. 2 knee replacements limit her climbing in and out of the taller Wranglers. Anyway as a toad you can’t go wrong with a Jeep.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #30

THOR #8183
Chevy Equinox is a great Toad

We pulled a 2013 Equinox and just purchased a new one. They tow four wheels down with an automatic and weigh a little less than a Wrangler. Previously our Toad was a Wrangler and it towed great. Equinox is great too. Went to Equinox because as we got older the Wrangler was getting tough to climb up into. Also, we had a soft top which you can't take shopping and leave parked with items because it is not secure. First hand experience.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #31

THOR #15054
Once we learned that we can't flat tow behind a regular vehicle, our hand was kind of forced. Our tow vehicle must be our main car and be able to tow at least 6,000 pounds. Unfortunately, our Ford Explorer cannot do this so we have begun a new search. Right now, it looks very likely that it will be a Ford Ranger, which can tow 7,500 pounds and has most of the attributes we are desiring. (It doesn't hurt that I can do an "A-plan" deal because of a relative that works for Ford.)

The good news is, with this plan we won't have to sell our convertible. We REALLY didn't want to do that in the first place!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #32

State: New Mexico
THOR #9943
ford F150

Quote:
This past spring, we came to a conclusion that living for 8 months in FL and 4 in Michigan was not allowing us to travel and see the country the way we really envisioned in retirement. So, we decided to get a MH and spend four months or so in each (MH, MI, FL). Our plan was to NOT use a toad for most of our trips, so we purchased a MH that was small enough to get around most anywhere, yet still big enough to tow something if we decided to later on.

For the past 13 years, our second car has been a MB convertible, originally an SL and for the past two years, an SLK. Absolutely a blast to drive, but pretty useless as a tow vehicle! This vehicle also requires trailering down to Florida during the winter season, which is a bit of a pain in itself. This past weekend, we realized that maybe (because of our new lifestyle) it's time to sell the convertible and pick up a more realistic 2nd car. A vehicle which could be flat-towed easily behind both our MH and our Ford Explorer. A vehicle which could have our inflatable kayaks or bikes thrown into the back of it without worrying about dirt or mud or theft. A vehicle which could offer a fun experience, although nothing is going to compare to our MB!

Having said all of that, we believe there is really only one choice, and yes, it's the obvious one: a Jeep! This vehicle can do everything that I mentioned above and I am really having difficulty finding anything else that does so.

So, before I get TOO far down this road, I wanted to check with my forum-friends and hear from you. Am I correct in this choice, or is there another vehicle out there that will meet these needs? If it matters, we are talking about a very used vehicle, one which will only be driven about 5,000 miles a year as a 2nd car and toad, so we are NOT looking at new or late-models.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

We shopped both Jeep and trucks. We ended up with a F150, plenty of extra storage for bikes, fishing gear etc and since it has an aluminum frame is light weight.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #33

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteviC View Post
We shopped both Jeep and trucks. We ended up with a F150, plenty of extra storage for bikes, fishing gear etc and since it has an aluminum frame is light weight.
Sadly, before we realized it wouldn't work in our situation, we drove a Jeep for the first time in our lives and really liked its versatility! Unfortunately, it just won't work for us.

We drove the Ranger this morning and it felt very familiar, being that we have a 2018 Explorer Limited. It was quite a bit louder than we expected, but it is a pickup truck and not an SUV.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #34

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Just finishing a 1200 mile trip through France and back to Ireland in our Vegas 25.2 with our toad, we're a rare thing in Europe and, with a toad, even more so. Our latest is a Citroen C3 manual. It works well for us and we can get 3 bikes in the back. Hardly relevant to you guys in the State's but, having the toad works well for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_153135.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	20103  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #35

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Just finishing a 1200 mile trip through France and back to Ireland in our Vegas 25.2 with our toad, we're a rare thing in Europe and, with a toad, even more so. Our latest is a Citroen C3 manual. It works well for us and we can get 3 bikes in the back. Hardly relevant to you guys in the State's but, having the toad works well for us.
That's awesome, Paul! Vegas, toad, and bikes...sounds like we're related!

Until we get our toad, these four have to ride out here!

Old 09-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #36

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
Toad

Suzuki Grand Virara/Chevy Tracker 4dr with 4WD. Inexpensive, reliable.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #37

THOR #12206
Smile Toad choices

We read your post and immediately we thought of ourselves. We split time between Fl and Vermont and now do four months out West, NM, AZ, NV. Last November camping in the Mojave, out of nowhere came a Honda CRX 4WD with oversized tires and slightly lifted. Increadble vechile. The owner was VERY helpful explaining how he set this one up. 2010 last year they made true 4WD, not all-wheeel so it can be flat towed, goes anywhere a Jeep will go but is VERY secure. Jeeps are easy to break into and are magnets for people looking for free stuff. Ours has full tint windows(allowed inb Fl). We carry bikes on top, extra "stuff" inside,water,etc. VERY comfortable car to drive 24 mpg, 3,200 gross weight so a dream to flat tow. We got one, CRXEX with sunroof,etc no leather. One owner car 45,000 miles Honda certified by paying cash, $12,225.00. We are very happy with the ease of flat tow and the fact that tow miles do not show on the odometer.

Best of luck!!
Old 09-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #38

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatervilleBob View Post
We read your post and immediately we thought of ourselves. We split time between Fl and Vermont and now do four months out West, NM, AZ, NV. Last November camping in the Mojave, out of nowhere came a Honda CRX 4WD with oversized tires and slightly lifted. Increadble vechile. The owner was VERY helpful explaining how he set this one up. 2010 last year they made true 4WD, not all-wheeel so it can be flat towed, goes anywhere a Jeep will go but is VERY secure. Jeeps are easy to break into and are magnets for people looking for free stuff. Ours has full tint windows(allowed inb Fl). We carry bikes on top, extra "stuff" inside,water,etc. VERY comfortable car to drive 24 mpg, 3,200 gross weight so a dream to flat tow. We got one, CRXEX with sunroof,etc no leather. One owner car 45,000 miles Honda certified by paying cash, $12,225.00. We are very happy with the ease of flat tow and the fact that tow miles do not show on the odometer.

Best of luck!!
Yeah, sounds like a winner! Congrats on your find.

Unfortunately, once I discovered that an SUV cannot flat tow a vehicle of anywhere near the size that we want to, our whole search changed. Basically, our search vehicle has to be flat-towable AND also be able to pull at least 6000 pounds on its own, as we tow our 2nd car to Florida behind it (while the RV stays in MI for those four months).

Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #39
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
I have towed 3 different Jeeps for the last 25 years. 2 were manual transmission, now I tow a Wrangler Sport 2 door with automatic transmission. No problems worth mentioning
Ditto. Jeep wrangler with no problems as well
Old 09-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
These things are pretty light: perhaps you can put two of them on a light trailer...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote