Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Outfitting a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Just got rid of the Lincoln and purchased a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I am taking a month or two before outfitting it for flat towing so I can do some research and get what is best for the vehicle and me.

I got one estimate yesterday that is:

Baseplate - 1240.00 which includes all cables, installation and tail light wiring.
Braking - 1375.00 which is Patriot II and includes breakaway cables
Towbar - 845.00 for a BlueOx Ascent

I am considering getting a quote on an InvsiBrake installation but some of the issues I've read where the brakes are applied while folks are driving because the diodes got wet (from rain, snow, or a car wash) are a concern.

I do plan on getting at least one more estimate.

Thoughts or recommendations?

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:52 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We are towing a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar. Roadmaster EZ base plate & Roadmaster Invisibrake & tail light kit. We also added a Roadmaster tow deflector to keep the car from getting beat up with road debris. Parts total 3600 & 2000 labor to install. If you are getting everything installed at 3500 + or - I would pounce on that. Labor rates in the Chicago area are 145 a shop hour. It took them a day and a half to install everything. 20 years ago I would have attempted the install, not today too many miles, Buds and Big macs have taken a toll on this old fart.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Team

THOR #1469
Ordered everything required - went Roadmaster

Well I pulled the trigger and had all the parts ordered and will have the system installed the week of June 19 (delayed due to my work related travel schedule).

I went with:

Roadmaster Base Plate - 771.00 includes wiring harness and installation
InvsiBrake - 958.99 installed
Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar - 900.00
Misc Supplies - 125.00
Sales Tax - 151.00

Total before 5 percent military discount in approx 2950.00
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
I was going to have everything installed last week but a breakdown in communication screwed up the schedule. I am now scheduled to have the installation done the week of July 8.

I am still going with the Roadmaster Sterling and InvsiBrake setup. One of the communication breakdown areas was on the base plate. Originally we discussed a Falcon 2 tow bar and quick connect base plate without crossbar. When I decided to go with the Sterling tow bar we forgot to change over to the base plate with crossbar. The crossbar base plate is required for the Sterling unless one wants to ditch the tow bar provided safety cables and buy an additional option kit. We lost a few days in the return and re-ordering process.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Are you sure your quote on the Invisibrake is correct ($958.99 installed)?? That looks like the equipment-only cost.

I paid about that amount for mine two years ago, plus another $700 or so for installation.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
Are you sure your quote on the Invisibrake is correct ($958.99 installed)?? That looks like the equipment-only cost.

I paid about that amount for mine two years ago, plus another $700 or so for installation.
Yep, quote is correct and in writing.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-28-2019, 11:22 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We paid $3500 to have our 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk set up in 2018.
Parts were $2800 and labor $700. This included a Roadmaster Baseplate, a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar, RVi Brake portable braking system, and RVi Battery charger and installation and wiring for the brake and tail lights and the RVi charger wiring. Took them a day to do it. In typical Denver spring fashion (late April) we had snow the day I picked it up.

Then it cost me $600 and several weeks of waiting for the Jeep death wobble cable with installation. Jeep has finally got their act together and don’t require the cable starting with the 2019’s. But you still will need the battery charger as I believe that the power steering is still powered while towing. In hindsight I could have handled the installation myself.

Add another $100 or so for stuff like a tow bar cover, hitch riser and a couple of quiet hitch clamps. I also installed a switch inside the cabin so I don’t need to keep inserting and pulling the fuse. Say $4300 all in.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:47 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We paid $3500 to have our 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk set up in 2018.
Parts were $2800 and labor $700. This included a Roadmaster Baseplate, a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar, RVi Brake portable braking system, and RVi Battery charger and installation and wiring for the brake and tail lights and the RVi charger wiring. Took them a day to do it. In typical Denver spring fashion (late April) we had snow the day I picked it up.

Then it cost me $600 and several weeks of waiting for the Jeep death wobble cable with installation. Jeep has finally got their act together and don’t require the cable starting with the 2019’s. But you still will need the battery charger as I believe that the power steering is still powered while towing. In hindsight I could have handled the installation myself.

Add another $100 or so for stuff like a tow bar cover, hitch riser and a couple of quiet hitch clamps. I also installed a switch inside the cabin so I don’t need to keep inserting and pulling the fuse. Say $4300 all in.
The InvsiBrake is supposed to charge the battery while towing. One of the highlighted features of InvsiBrake. Also, the manual does not mention having to pull a fuse for towing. I do however have to start the Jeep once every 24 hours, and run for a minimum of 60 seconds, to allow the Quadra-Lift air suspension system to adjust the ride height to compensate for temperature changes.

Once the installation is complete I plan to get some locking pins as well as a cover. I also want to get an extra driver's and passenger's side base plate arm. I saw a post where someone modified some arms to attach the Jeep tow hooks to so it would have the factory appearance when not being towed. I will probably have to call RoadMaster to get those and I'll get my neighbor to fire up his welder.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #15410
We had an invisibrake in our last toad and found out the hard way the RV lights had to be in for the battery to charge
Old 06-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #10

THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connieb View Post
We had an invisibrake in our last toad and found out the hard way the RV lights had to be in for the battery to charge
Sounds like whoever did your wiring connected your battery input to the wrong wire. In a 7-pin connector there is a separate connector for direct coach power. The question is whether your manufacturer connected the coach power to the 7-pin connector on the coach. I've seen folks report that they have found that the power pin never was connected and have had to fish a new wire from the coach fuse panel to the 7-pin connector. If they decided to connect you to the running lights wire maybe you don't have a power connection, but I'd wonder about how much power it can deliver and whether they also connected it to the toad lights.
RVi Brake 3
Old 06-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #11

THOR #15410
The camping world dealer did this
Old 06-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #12

THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Also, the manual does not mention having to pull a fuse for towing. I\
The Jeep Cherokee Death Wobble Cable's main job is to power the power steering when you are towing. It's also why you need to install a battery charger so the coach powers the power steering. Their simplistic design has a in-line fuse under the hood that you have to insert while towing so power gets to the electric power steering and which you pull for normal operation. It's not what I call a good design.

There is also a toggle switch they install n the console that you have to flip while towing to tell the computer to ignore the fact that the power steering is powered up even though the ignition is off. If you don't do this, the computer throws up an error code.

I found a posting on this forum where a guy had tapped in a toggle switch upstream of the fuse and mounted the switch under the dash. Very good idea which I copied. All I have to remember is while setting up the console switch firs and then the dash switch and the opposite when disconnecting. The fuse now stays in all the time.
RVi Brake 3
Old 06-29-2019, 01:00 PM   #13

THOR #5190
Quote:
The camping world dealer did this
There's your problem. Couldn't hurt to have someone competent look at it.
RVi Brake 3
Old 06-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #14

THOR #15410
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
There's your problem. Couldn't hurt to have someone competent look at it.
In the invisibrake manual, it says RV lights must be on for battery to charge
Old 06-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #15

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Quote:

I always turn on my RV lights when towing my Wrangler with its Invisibrake. No toad battery problems so far, after 2 years and 14,000 miles. My biggest problem is remembering to turn off the coach lights when we stop. No buzzer on my Challenger to remind me to turn them off when the engine is shut down.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
I always turn on my RV lights when towing my Wrangler with its Invisibrake. No toad battery problems so far, after 2 years and 14,000 miles. My biggest problem is remembering to turn off the coach lights when we stop. No buzzer on my Challenger to remind me to turn them off when the engine is shut down.
I always travel with the lights on because it makes reading the dash gauges easier. That shouldn't be a problem for me with the InvsiBrake.

2019's are not supposed to have the "Death Wobble" issue. According to my dealer Jeep has corrected that issue.

I talked to my installer and with every complete installation they do they include a dedicated charging circuit installation at no additional charge.

Now it is a matter of waiting until the appointment date and listing my tow dolly for sale.

The one thing I found interesting is within a 75 mile radius of me there is only one Roadmaster dealer, out of 7, that will install the InvsiBrake. Everyone else says they have no experience with it and will not do the install. Those dealers will only install portable units such as the Patriot 2.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:

The manual has the Invisibrake receiving power from the tail light pin.. so minimum of parking lights needs to be on to power the system and charge the toad battery.

When I had mine installed, they recommended hooking to the aux pin (always powered) instead - which we did... No need to turn anything on to power unit or charge toad.

(Install was done by CW in Belleville, MI... that was one of the good ones at the time... was 4 years ago now and don’t live near them anymore...)

Over 10k miles towing the 2010 Wrangler with no issues.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
The process begins. I dropped my coach off today so they can start installing the brake monitor and I'll drop the Jeep off on Monday afternoon. I should be able to pick them both up next Thursday.

While we were there, the DW asked me if all of the tow components will be good if we get another motor home. Then on the way back to the house her statement was "smaller house, larger coach" I'm not sure what she has in mind.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Addition to the setup is the replacement of my current TPMS. The current system is older and does not have replaceable batteries in the sensors. I am replacing that system with the TM77 from TireMinder. The TPMS was delivered today so when I get the coach and car back that will be my second actions. The first action will be to take the coach to Blue Beacon (about 10 miles from the dealer) for a wash job.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Received the call today that the Jeep and coach are ready for pickup. Unfortunately I have some commitments tomorrow so it will be Friday before I can pick them up and start preparing for the next trip.

When I get the Jeep back I'll post some pics of the setup.
FMCA - F432054