Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #1727
Thor Chateau Class C 31W Towing a 2008 Saturn

Newbie Here.
Hi all,
Being use to a Phaeton 40' Diesel Pusher I could tow anything behind it.
My vehicles also took a beating from stones, sand ect.
Now I have a Thor Chateau Class C 31W. I found and purchased a Saturn Aura 2008 in excellent condition. It weighs 4600Lbs. Any pros or cons will be greatly appreciated. I hope I did not make a mistake.
Thank you,
Butch

Old 04-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Get a gravel guard. Your Saturn toad will still take a beating from stones, sand ect without one.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #3

THOR #1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Get a gravel guard. Your Saturn toad will still take a beating from stones, sand ect without one.
I am more worried about the weight being Towed
Old 04-23-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Personally, I would want to stay below 3,500lbs because I am conservative when it comes to tow weights, but with your E450, it should handle it OK.

The GVWR for the E450 is 14,500lbs, while the CGWR is 22,000lbs, so that really gives you a minimum of 7,500lbs of theoretical towing capacity, give or take. But you may be limited by a 5,000lb hitch capacity as Thor just started putting 8,000lb hitches on their coaches this year.

At any rate, you should be able to tow your Saturn as long as you don't overload it with cargo. You can probably also tow it with say 1/4 tank of gas to save maybe 100lbs of towed weight.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

THOR #1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Personally, I would want to stay below 3,500lbs because I am conservative when it comes to tow weights, but with your E450, it should handle it OK.

The GVWR for the E450 is 14,500lbs, while the CGWR is 22,000lbs, so that really gives you a minimum of 7,500lbs of theoretical towing capacity, give or take. But you may be limited by a 5,000lb hitch capacity as Thor just started putting 8,000lb hitches on their coaches this year.

At any rate, you should be able to tow your Saturn as long as you don't overload it with cargo. You can probably also tow it with say 1/4 tank of gas to save maybe 100lbs of towed weight.
Yes I have a 8000lb hitch, and thank you for your input, I feel better about this now.
Thank you,
Butch